Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

A recent example of Pardews it's never my fault attitude
    https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/james-mcclean-arsenal-west-brom-155151

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    Berserker wrote: »
    What's odious about him?

The most famous story is related to Carl Fletcher’s missus while he was managing Fletcher at West Ham but apparently there are a lot of similar stories doing the rounds. The man has a reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Will be interesting to hear what that was. He lost is completely, so I doubt it was the usual banter.
    The talk on twitter is that some WHU pondlife had made a comment about being glad that Livermore's baby had died. If (repeat, if) that is true, I hope Livermore gave him a good clout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The most famous story is related to Carl Fletcher’s missus while he was managing Fletcher at West Ham but apparently there are a lot of similar stories doing the rounds. The man has a reputation.

Sure Carl Fletcher banged the chairman's missus and was tried for murder.

Man City
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Sure Carl Fletcher banged the chairman's missus and was tried for murder.

Haha what goes around, comes around. Fair point Sir. Then again, who'd pass up the chance of a go on Linda Block?

Man City
    blueser wrote: »
    The talk on twitter is that some WHU pondlife had made a comment about being glad that Livermore's baby had died. If (repeat, if) that is true, I hope Livermore gave him a good clout.

I'd echo that. If some f**king bonehead said that, he should be banned for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The only Alan Pardew story you need to know. What a clown :pac:
    Let me tell you a story. In fact, it’s called the ‘King story’ among those who were present and who believe it’s a perfect example of Pardew’s arrogance. We were staying at a hotel in the North East ahead of a game at Sunderland during Alan’s first season in charge and were about to have our Friday evening meal…I sat down with Pardew…and fitness coach Tony Strudwick, who now works for Manchester United and has done very well for himself. We ordered our meals and suddenly Pardew asked us all what were were having. I think Eddie said he’d gone for the chicken, while I’d chosen the steak.

‘Pards then turned to Struds, who revealed whatever it was he’d asked for. ‘That sounds good,’ said Pards. ‘Tell you what; if yours is better than mine when it turns up, I’m having that. That was one of the things he’d always say: I’m having that. ‘See that bloke’s haircut. I’m having that.’ He said it all the time. Anyway, I wasn’t ‘having that’ at all. So I said ‘Well, you’re certainly not having my dinner. You’ll get a fork in the back of your hand!’ Pardew sort of laughed, before turning back to Struds and saying, ‘Yeah, if yours is better than mine, I’m having that.’

‘Our meals eventually arrived and Pards looked at Tony and said, ‘Yeah, I was right, yours definitely looks much better than mine; I’m having that.’ And he went to swap the plates over. ‘You can’t do that!’ I said. ‘What do you mean?’ he asked. ‘You can’t just take somebody’s else’s dinner,’ I said in disbelief. And he replied, without any hint of a joke, ‘When you’re the King, you can do anything

https://www.balls.ie/football/alan-pardew-378605

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

That Irish footballer really really escaped any bad press.

Big time. More than one indiscretion as well apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Looks like West Ham are carrying out there own investigation into the Livermore incident last night.

• Advertisement

James McClean house broken into last night while he was playing against West Ham.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/offbeat/james-mcclean-s-home-burgled-during-match-1-8313866

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good to see it's not just a Liverpool thing! ;) It's been a while since that was a passtime on Merseyside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    James McClean house broken into last night while he was playing against West Ham.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/offbeat/james-mcclean-s-home-burgled-during-match-1-8313866

Karma for turning his back on that Sanchez free.:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Looks like West Ham are carrying out there own investigation into the Livermore incident last night.
    If it is true, I hope the fcuker is banned for life.
    But looking online, a lot of people who were around that section are saying the fan in question was actually going on at Livermore for his positive cocaine test (as well as the fact that he used to play for Spurs).

Liverpool
    If it is true, I hope the fcuker is banned for life.
    But looking online, a lot of people who were around that section are saying the fan in question was actually going on at Livermore for his positive cocaine test (as well as the fact that he used to play for Spurs).

The positive test for cocaine was a result of his lost child, his defence was he was using it as a way to deal with the grief.

So I can see why, even if cocaine was mentioend in isolation, that it would set Livermore off without the need to mention the child.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The positive test for cocaine was a result of his lost child, his defence was he was using it as a way to deal with the grief.

So I can see why, even if cocaine was mentioend in isolation, that it would set Livermore off without the need to mention the child.
    Looking into it more, the Y word seems to have been used which could have very easily been misheard by Livermore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I saw a few tweets from lads saying there were in the crowd and that the lads were shouting at Livermore about failing the coke test and they were calling him a word that sounds like KID and starts with a Y.

I dunno, I think he wouldn't have lost the head that much unless what it being said about his kid was actually said.

Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That Irish footballer really really escaped any bad press.

The good guy image just an act.
    Are we bound by superinjunctions from the UK here?
    Pards throwing Burke under the bus for not running into the corner last night, after doing it to McLean at the weekend.... Good job winning none of the last 9 games or whatever it is has nothing to do with him... Fvckwit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Pards throwing Burke under the bus for not running into the corner last night, after doing it to McLean at the weekend.... Good job winning none of the last 9 games or whatever it is has nothing to do with him... Fvckwit.

We can't even post goal gifs on here because Boards are scared they could be sued.

So I would guess they would be terrified if we broke a UK Superinjunction and post who and what.

Managers do it regularly though. Didn't Mourinho hang out Shaw to dry earlier in the season? Same with Pep, saying he could make Aguero better and commenting on his workrate. Nothing new in Pardew's actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

We can't even post goal gifs on here because Boards are scared they could be sued.

So I would guess they would be terrified if we broke a UK Superinjunction and post who and what.

Tbh, it was partly this sanitizing that killed boards. You can post anything on more popular sites like Reddit without fear of anything bar getting downvoted.

Boards management paranoia crept into the modding and made the place too sanitized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lukker- wrote: »
    Tbh, it was partly this sanitizing that killed boards. You can post anything on more popular sites like Reddit without fear of anything bar getting downvoted.

Boards management paranoia crept into the modding and made the place too sanitized.
    That's because Reddit is a US based site where libel and "freedom of speech" rules are nearly non-existent.
    Boards as an Irish site is subject to Irish/EU laws which are much more restrictive, see MCD debacle from many years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can't we just linked to Sky Football twitter account which owns the rights to those goal clips so your are not breaking any broadcast rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Can't we just linked to Sky Football twitter account which owns the rights to those goal clips so your are not breaking any broadcast rules

That was asked before the season in the feedback thread and we weren't given an answer as far as I remember.

I think the stance was no links at all.

A true feast of football over the holiday season.:D Between 'Boxing Day' and January 8, only two days without live prem or FA Cup, more than one as often as not...

Only one as it turned out because of the rescheduled game tomorrow. Plus the run goes on to January 10 if you included the 'Carabao'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Soft enough peno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

How is that a penalty?

Defender kicks Hazard, fair enough, but if there is enough force in the kick then surely Hazards foot/leg should have went upwards as the force from the kick forced it up. Instead his whole body falls forward.

If that is given against you, you are livid.

Arsenal 2 very bad penalty shouts against them in 2 games costing them a good few points. I'm not an Arsenal fan btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton
    Some finish by Bellerin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Great game to watch but for Chelsea fans that must be very frustrating from Morata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Great game to watch but for Chelsea fans that must be very frustrating from Morata

Imagine the howls of derision, particularly on here and on social media, had that been Lukaku?

I am surely not the only one that sees him as a down-grade on Costa so far?

Chelsea's record signing, coming into a side that just won the league so at a higher base level than United, yet with the exact identical total as Lukaku in the league.

3 x Stoke, one vs WBA, Newcastle, Brighton and pre-Allardyce Everton-the same sort of sides that make people down-play Lukaku's tally.

But Morata's price-tag is never questioned or brought up, nor is he labelled as a flat-track bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    He has been poor enough him and hazard looked to be linking up well for a while but haven't been on the pitch together much lately. Got a great HT at stoke but that looks less impressive the more I've seen of stoke. Most of moratas goals seem to be headers.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    Opta

14 - Alvaro Morata has missed 14 big chances in the Premier League this season, only Salah (15) has missed more.

6 of those have been in the last 2 games.

He has a 29% conversion rate with his head compared to just 8% with his feet.

That was before tonight's game so probably worse now again.

FitzShane wrote: »
    How is that a penalty?

Defender kicks Hazard, fair enough, but if there is enough force in the kick then surely Hazards foot/leg should have went upwards as the force from the kick forced it up. Instead his whole body falls forward.

If that is given against you, you are livid.

Arsenal 2 very bad penalty shouts against them in 2 games costing them a good few points. I'm not an Arsenal fan btw.
    He kicked Hazard somewhere near the bottom of his foot, yet Hazard went down clutching his shin. Very soft.

Nice result

• Everton
    Opta

14 - Alvaro Morata has missed 14 big chances in the Premier League this season, only Salah (15) has missed more.

6 of those have been in the last 2 games.
    First season I suppose, bound to have blips (woeful blip but still)
    Can't imagine he'd be replaced in the summer yet. He will get another year to see if he can become consistant I'd say.
    Unless Conte flips out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Missing loads of chances is still better than not getting many in the first place. His movement, link up play and strength at times is fantastic. He's still maturing and improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Imagine the howls of derision, particularly on here and on social media, had that been Lukaku?

I am surely not the only one that sees him as a down-grade on Costa so far?

Chelsea's record signing, coming into a side that just won the league so at a higher base level than United, yet with the exact identical total as Lukaku in the league.

3 x Stoke, one vs WBA, Newcastle, Brighton and pre-Allardyce Everton-the same sort of sides that make people down-play Lukaku's tally.

But Morata's price-tag is never questioned or brought up, nor is he labelled as a flat-track bully.

Well he did get the winner against Man United.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/948682994893688832

Chelsea (and Conte) being very much themselves.

• Advertisement

• Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/948682994893688832

Chelsea (and Conte) being very much themselves.

Little cracks appearing?

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Missing loads of chances is still better than not getting many in the first place. His movement, link up play and strength at times is fantastic. He's still maturing and improving.

Plus he has great hair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Little cracks appearing?

Sure there was talk of him walking in the summer, not the first cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Liverpool
    J. Marston wrote: »

Until the tackle streaming, theyre all just pi**ing against the wind.

I've BT as part of a Vodafone TV deal but wont be keeping it on when it expires.

I'd love an option of paying for just your own clubs games and being able to watch them all but thats not going to happen anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'd love an option of paying for just your own clubs games and being able to watch them all but thats not going to happen anytime soon.

Why not? The championship clubs do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    I was puzzled by Everton signing Bolassie and nothing I've seen has changed that.

He's barely a footballer. He was at his level at palace. Even there he was using his physique to make up for a lack of quality and he looks way off the standard for top 10 PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Gbear wrote: »
    I was puzzled by Everton signing Bolassie and nothing I've seen has changed that.

He's barely a footballer. He was at his level at palace. Even there he was using his physique to make up for a lack of quality and he looks way off the standard for top 10 PL.

Out for a year. Hes nowhere near fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    I didn't rate him before now either.

It isn't an issue of sharpness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Why not? The championship clubs do that.

Only some do.

But:

1) There’s one camera and terrible camera work
    2) No commentary
    3) No replays

It’s a start and yeah, it’s better than nothing or listening on the radio, but what is currently being offered by the Football League would be nowhere near acceptable for the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Paully D wrote: »
    Only some do.

But:

1) There’s one camera and terrible camera work
    2) No commentary
    3) No replays

It’s a start and yeah, it’s better than nothing or listening on the radio, but what is currently being offered by the Football League would be nowhere near acceptable for the Premier League.

More money in the PL though. Every game already has multiple cameras, and commentary it just isn't broadcast in the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement