Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    I never knew he was sitting pretty on over 100 PL goals.

:p

Edited....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    The potential of what could be combined with a league with no particulatly standout contender, they all have big weaknesses.

Anyway poor officiating marred an otherwise really intetesting game. City at points in the 2nd half looked better with a man less than when it was level. Still not at all convinced by the 2 striker system but his in-game management is fun for all football fans to watch. Decent result in the end but that sending off probably cost them 3 points.

Chelsea definitely still the standout side. They've been without the best player in the league first few weeks among others, but showed the grit of Champions to dig deep yesterday with all the injuries/suspensions. Conte will add depth before the window but there's very little weakness in the starting 11, with only question mark over Morata really, and even at that you'd fancy him to come good.

• Everton
    SlickRic wrote: »
    To be fair, all managers get away with that to a ridiculous degree.

I could pull multiple examples of where that's not the case and as early as last season but I couldn't be arsed and anyway suspect will drag off topic

Everton
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Chelsea definitely still the standout side. They've been without the best player in the league first few weeks among others, but showed the grit of Champions to dig deep yesterday with all the injuries/suspensions. Conte will add depth before the window but there's very little weakness in the starting 11, with only question mark over Morata really, and even at that you'd fancy him to come good.

Chelsea have been written off a little this last few weeks, even before the league started after the Charity Shield. I'd agree that given they are champions and have replaced any players they've lost from the first 11 it's foolish to write them off. But they've lost so many squad players, they have European football this year hat they didn't have last year and they're stretched so thin that they could struggle if they get a few injuries.

City were regarded as many people's favorites and if they hit some form and start blowing teams away then they will be up top pretty soon. Strong squad but a bit unbalanced.

United started great, but we've played nothing of note so I'd hold my proclamations of potential title winning for a few games yet. Beat Leicester this week and I'll be more impressed.

Arsenal gunna Arsenal.

Spurs have less wins in Wembley the last three years than Anthony Joshua and their top scorer there is OG. They'll struggle if they don't start picking up wins and making that a fortress like WHL was last year.

Liverpool just look so dodgy at the back that I don't know what to make of them. A lot will depend on Coutinho. Will he stay, if he stays will be be 100% committed? Will Klopp ever figure out how to set up a defense for set plays?

Honestly, any of those teams could win the league and any of them could end up 5th and 6th. It's entirely unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I said it at half time and my opinion hasn't changed one bit. The referee was horrendous and this is nothing new particularly for the man in charge tonight.

It's just frustrating watching a game of ball with a bad ref.

Walker shouldn't have been sent off despite being so stupid. He shouldn't even be putting himself in a position where there is a chance of a second yellow but it certainly was not a yellow card. I don't think he even made contact with Baines on the first yellow.

Schneiderlin sending off was horrendous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He dived

Morgan got the ball only

*Edit* embarrassing theatrics to boot. Hope this is the first case for the diving panel.
    Source got deleted on twitter. Il update when another appears.

He made a meal of it, but he went through him to get the ball.

JPA wrote: »
    People really hang around other teams forums? :|

Look who you were replying to...

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Look who you were replying to...

What have I done here to be deserving of that response?? I post the odd time in the other teams threads in here and I'd say you'll do very well to find a single wumming post in any of them.

Pep must be taking pointers from his neighbour on interviews!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everton
    He dived

Morgan got the ball only

he didn't. He kicked the heel of Aguero and caught his shin for the first yellow. He had some cheek to complain abut the first yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pep always comes across as plain rude in post match interviews.

Jayop wrote: »
    What have I done here to be deserving of that response?? I post the odd time in the other teams threads in here and I'd say you'll do very well to find a single wumming post in any of them.

Ah no you're right, was only having a laugh!

Came across really badly there.

Spurs
    Chelsea have been written off a little this last few weeks, even before the league started after the Charity Shield. I'd agree that given they are champions and have replaced any players they've lost from the first 11 it's foolish to write them off. But they've lost so many squad players, they have European football this year hat they didn't have last year and they're stretched so thin that they could struggle if they get a few injuries.

City were regarded as many people's favorites and if they hit some form and start blowing teams away then they will be up top pretty soon. Strong squad but a bit unbalanced.

United started great, but we've played nothing of note so I'd hold my proclamations of potential title winning for a few games yet. Beat Leicester this week and I'll be more impressed.

Arsenal gunna Arsenal.

Spurs have less wins in Wembley the last three years than Anthony Joshua and their top scorer there is OG. They'll struggle if they don't start picking up wins and making that a fortress like WHL was last year.

Liverpool just look so dodgy at the back that I don't know what to make of them. A lot will depend on Coutinho. Will he stay, if he stays will be be 100% committed? Will Klopp ever figure out how to set up a defense for set plays?

Honestly, any of those teams could win the league and any of them could end up 5th and 6th. It's entirely unpredictable.

I really only see it being between Chelsea and City, with preference for the former but could come down to luck on who keeps most of their stars for between the two. There's always predictions of a tight title race between 4/5 teams last few seasons but never ends up that way. Spurs are too hampered by Wembley and others are too short on quality. People have short memories with United, there's no way they've bridged that massive quality gap from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Running around manically at the full time whistle looked a tad odd too!

• Everton
    dfx- wrote: »
    he didn't. He kicked the heel of Aguero and caught his shin for the first yellow. He had some cheek to complain abut the first yellow.

I watched it again. Won the ball first, and barely clips with other trailing leg after it
    Augero goes down like he was shot

• Everton
    He made a meal of it, but he went through him to get the ball.

Nope got the ball first

Everton
    I really only see it being between Chelsea and City, with preference for the former but could come down to luck on who keeps most of their stars for between the two. There's always predictions of a tight title race between 4/5 teams last few seasons but never ends up that way. Spurs are too hampered by Wembley and others are too short on quality. People have short memories with United, there's no way they've bridged that massive quality gap from last year.

Well in the equivalent fixtures last year to those we've played this year we're already 2 points and +6 GD better off. Those are the games that will determine whether we're in a title race or not. We had an incredible 15 draws, had just 5 of those been wins then we'd have finished in 3rd place. Yes we were crap last year but you have to bear in mind that so many of our worst results came after Thursday night EL games.

Our league record in games following a Thursday night EL game was as follows...

LDLWDWWWWLL

11 games
    4 loses
    2 Draws
    5 Wins

So 4 of the 5 loses we suffered came immediately after an EL game. 17 points from 33 available. Brutal return. We won't have that problem this year thankfully.

Nope got the ball first

The showed the super slow-mo on Sky and they seemed to all agree that he fouled him.

• Advertisement

Everton
    The showed the super slow-mo on Sky and they seemed to all agree that he fouled him.

I only seen that slomo on a mobile but it looked like he caught him with his leading foot and trailing foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

City haven't looked great in their first two games.

United looked slightly better than them.

Chelsea imo have looked the best (horrid first 45 mins of the season aside).

At the moment I've Chelsea as favourites. Then United. Then the rest.

I only seen that slomo on a mobile but it looked like he caught him with his leading foot and trailing foot.

He did yeah, Aguero made an arse of himself rolling around but it was a foul and therefore a stupid tackle when on a yellow.

Everton
    Like I said Turtwig, my only concern with Chelsea is the insane lack of depth to the squad with 4 competitions this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Like I said Turtwig, my only concern with Chelsea is the insane lack of depth to the squad with 4 competitions this year.

Same. Their board badly let them down this summer imo. They have a first XI that is competitive in all fronts but they definitely don't have the depth.

Everton
    Forget even not buying players, the amount of squad men they let go was criminal, and that's before you even mention Matic to United but that's already been done to death.

• Advertisement

Spurs
    The window isn't closed, they'll sign plenty in coming week, money isn't an issue for them so they'll get them regardless. If they were that concerned they would have kept the likes of Loftus Cheek around. Come Champions league there'll be an extra 3/4 players bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It'd make you wonder what they're at loaning out so many players. Stupid.

• Everton

That's great for Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Just saw the City game there now. Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about Gabriel Jesus? What are his strengths? He doesn't look fast, he doesn't look creative and he doesn't seem to score any goals that the likes of Javier Hernandez couldn't score. 
    Aguero was class in the second half I thought. Some of his subtle touches just opened up Everton and I'm not sure if that was mentioned. Before the goal he set up Sterling for a chance that was blazed over the bar. It was a fast ball into him and he just nonchalantly cushioned it into Sterling's path. He did it again for the goal earlier in the build-up play. Not to mention his goal record.
    I think City would be much better off and more balanced starting games with Aguero and bringing Jesus off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Just saw the City game there now. Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about Gabriel Jesus? What are his strengths? He doesn't look fast, he doesn't look creative and he doesn't seem to score any goals that the likes of Javier Hernandez couldn't score. 
    Aguero was class in the second half I thought. Some of his subtle touches just opened up Everton and I'm not sure if that was mentioned. Before the goal he set up Sterling for a chance that was blazed over the bar. It was a fast ball into him and he just nonchalantly cushioned it into Sterling's path. He did it again for the goal earlier in the build-up play. Not to mention his goal record.
    I think City would be much better off and more balanced starting games with Aguero and bringing Jesus off the bench.

I thought Silva*2 and KDB looked very slick with Aguero ahead of them. Serious creativity and quick feet there.
    You wouldn't like spending a full match trying to keep those 4 out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I actually thought de bruyne and silva were well off form, a lot of their passing and final ball not up to its usual class

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liverpool
    tastyt wrote: »
    I actually thought de bruyne and silva were well off form, a lot of their passing and final ball not up to its usual class

De Bruyne got became far more effective when he dropped deeper. Shouldn't be there permanently but his skillset in that position suited the flow of the game/situation last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Aguero is a cheat and diver

Everton player clearly got the ball with practically no contact, his trailing leg might have touch the Argentine
    he fell 3 or 4 times in the box looking for penalties
    young Davis was booked for going to ground twice, yet Aguero gets nothing

Everton should have wrapped up the points, but had no replacement front players

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Spurs

Don't know that was said about Chelsea last season (certainly helped with no European football of course) but we nearly doubled our points from 2015-2016 to 2016-2017.
    Whilst the difference to Chelsea from United last season was a lot we did get the second highest points total ever so in a standard season the gap is not that big. I don't see Chelsea as favourites top 4 should be ok but top spot will be tight.

Might be an exciting season would be great to see 3 or 4 teams fighting for the league with a handful of games to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I almost can't believe they are having the Carabao League Cup draw at 4 o'clock at night until I realised that the cup has a ludicrous name for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pep losing the plot after 2 weeks. His interview was an embarrassment.

Imagine the state he'd be in if he didn't constantly have the best teams and (one of) the biggest budgets at his disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    I almost can't believe they are having the Carabao League Cup draw at 4 o'clock at night until I realised that the cup has a ludicrous name for a reason.

Because it's sponsored by the highest bidder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Because it's sponsored by the highest bidder?
    caribou-standing-grass.ngsversion.1396530516301.jpg

That's great for Sky

:rolleyes: oh yeah I forgot, black is sometimes white with you. Anyway, you can cry about it all you want and pretend he didn't touch him, but everyone knows he did.

• Everton
    :rolleyes: oh yeah I forgot, black is sometimes white with you. Anyway, you can cry about it all you want and pretend he didn't touch him, but everyone knows he did.
    You seem to have issues with certain anonymous posters hence you getting personal

Augero cheated. Nothing to cry and about.

• Advertisement

You seem to have issues with certain anonymous posters hence you getting personal

Augero cheated. Nothing to cry and about.

No more than yourself. I already said Aguero made a meal of it, but the video shows he was caught before and after the ball was touched but for some reason you can't accept that.

• Everton
    No more than yourself. I already said Aguero made a meal of it, but the video shows he was caught before and after the ball was touched but for some reason you can't accept that.

I don't agree with you. You are wrong. I have given plenty of reasons why. That's it really.
    No more than myself? You seem to be ranting.

I don't agree with you. You are wrong. I have given plenty of reasons why. That's it really.
    No more than myself? You seem to be ranting.

You are wrong. G'luck :)

• Everton
    You are wrong. G'luck :)

Nope

Everton
    giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    He dived

Morgan got the ball only

I watched it again. Won the ball first, and barely clips with other trailing leg after it
    Augero goes down like he was shot

Which is it!? He clipped him. Aguero did what most players for most teams do. Not the first time we've seen in and won't be the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Which is it!? He clipped him. Aguero did what most players for most teams do. Not the first time we've seen in and won't be the last.

If he clips him after getting the ball with a trailing leg it shouldn't be a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »

I really like the League Cup - why are they going to such great lengths to ruin it!?
    It's like they want to actively demote it to the likes of the Audi Cup and such.

I mean, I get that the Chinese market is important, but there are plenty of times they could choose that service both, without turning it into pure farce. Any time after 5pm Beijing time works fine.

Everton
    How the city defense hasn't had a booking for is beyond me. Hacking lads down all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Commentator saying City starting XI cost £384 million with £200 million on the bench.

Advertisement