Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Get Simeone in and bring a bit of fecking passion back into the club. It's like a slow rot currently.

Would he go to Arsenal and would arsenal want his style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Cech like with both Liverpool's keepers are a couple of levels below what the other top 6 teams have and over the season cost both clubs a considerable amount of points.

Lloris has had a few clangers as well. De Gea, Ederson and Courtouis are above the rest alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Arsenal's season unravelling in January as opposed to February.
    That side was so poor. Feel bad for Maitland-Niles & Wilshire looked like the only players who actually cared.
    Wenger bringing on Walcott who isn't wanted by them said it all about the place he put them in.
    DT is right he is trying to leave them in such a state it's impossible for anyone to follow up with the septic state of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Same old arsenal always bottling!

Now hopefully city hammer pool 6.0 and my weekend is almost done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Would he go to Arsenal and would arsenal want his style of football.

I dunno if he'd go, strikes me as someone who likes a challenge though. I'm sure he's had plenty of offers last few years but likes the romantic side of having Atleti competing with giants of la liga. So Arsenal might be a good project. Think it's a good move for any manager tbh, they can't get much worse so plenty of scope for improvement.

Atleti play a pretty pleasing footballing style. Plenty of technical players in that side. They're just very intense and committed hence the defensive solidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal are a joke, it’s sad that Wenger is leaving them in this state. No chance of top 4 and their two quality players are off.

Is there mass fan protest on the horizon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Arsenal are a joke, it’s sad that Wenger is leaving them in this state. No chance of top 4 and their two quality players are off.

Is there mass fan protest on the horizon?

Has to be nearing that stage now. They are in an awful state. Add Wilshere, one of the few players in that squad who has a bit of passion in him, to the list of departures. It's gonna take an awful lot of money and a few seasons to turn them into title challengers.
    davycc wrote: »
    Same old arsenal always bottling!

Now hopefully city hammer pool 6.0 and my weekend is almost done

Not going to happen. It's going to be Liverpool's year in 2019, judging by the amount of love that they are getting on Sky and we are going to see why this afternoon.

Headshot wrote: »
    It's sad to see the state of Arsenal these days. That fist 11 is really not top 4 material.
    The first 11 is. If they had a manager who had a clue. Pretty much all international starters for decent teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Awful keeping.

Some day Liverpool might get a competent keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Headshot wrote: »
    Awful keeping.

Some day Liverpool might get a competent keeper

Its a joke that it hasn't been sorted. It should have been no 1 priority last summer. Every second shot is a goal. Lack of a decent goalkeeper is costing 12-15 pts its a huge problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The first 11 is. If they had a manager who had a clue. Pretty much all international starters for decent teams.
    The first 11 is not good enough. Especially now with Sanchez going and Ozil probably going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

O'Neill has turned down Stoke, per The Telegraph.

When Gary Megson is 3rd favourite in the betting behind O'Neill and Bilic, you know you're in trouble.

What a mess they have made of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Is there any way City could blow this? 15 points the difference seems quite unlikely, but if there's any front runners you'd want(or not want) to see out front its City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    Is there any way City could blow this? 15 points the difference seems quite unlikely, but if there's any front runners you'd want(or not want) to see out front its City.

City aren't blowing this. No chance.

1 lose and all of a sudden there's talk of them losing a few more games etc.

To go unbeaten was always going to be a struggle it's not as if they lost to Swansea in the Etihad. It was Liverpool in Anfield who have a superb record against the big 6 usually.

City aren't blowing this. No chance.

1 lose and all of a sudden there's talk of them losing a few more games etc.

To go unbeaten was always going to be a struggle it's not as if they lost to Swansea in the Etihad. It was Liverpool in Anfield who have a superb record against the big 6 usually.

To be beaten by a non title challenging team is a worry though. Say what you like about Liverpool, ship as many goals as they do you're winning nothing.
    City just looked out of ideas today, I agree in principle they should hold onto their lead. Gonna be a huge test for Pep keeping them motivated. At least no one is complaining the club didn't buy them a birthday cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

If liverpool aint a title challenging team then nobody else are either. The 2 away games at city and spurs slightly skew liverpools goals conceded record also, till today they had only conceded 4 goals at home all season too. Liverpool are poor defensively but are not as bad as before, very interesting to see what vvd will add to the team.

Liverpool
    To be beaten by a non title challenging team is a worry though. Say what you like about Liverpool, ship as many goals as they do you're winning nothing.
    City just looked out of ideas today, I agree in principle they should hold onto their lead. Gonna be a huge test for Pep keeping them motivated. At least no one is complaining the club didn't buy them a birthday cake!

Who is a title challenging team then? Chelsea? United? Silly argument that seems you're trying to get a dig in at Liverpool fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    klose wrote: »
    If liverpool aint a title challenging team then nobody else are either. The 2 away games at city and spurs slightly skew liverpools goals conceded record also, till today they had only conceded 4 goals at home all season too. Liverpool are poor defensively but are not as bad as before, very interesting to see what vvd will add to the team.

This season you could easily say there is no title challenging team, i know your replying to a comment that most likely was a smart arsed one.
    Even with the loss i'd be surprised if a team gets within 9 points of City again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

To be beaten by a non title challenging team is a worry though......

Stopped reading there. Joint second = non title challenging?

Some people say the league table doesn't lie.

Others, apparently, dismiss it altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paully D wrote: »
    O'Neill has turned down Stoke, per The Telegraph.

When Gary Megson is 3rd favourite in the betting behind O'Neill and Bilic, you know you're in trouble.

What a mess they have made of this.

****, that means we're stuck with O'Neill for another campaign.

Megson would be atroicious , Bilic probably best bet so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I don't see City slipping up, they will win the league comfortably enough.

The remaining top 4 places may well depend on how deep Spurs, Liverpool, United and Chelsea go in the Champions League.

Think we can discount Arsenal at this stage.

The league is over lads and has been for some time.
    City will win pulling up.
    The fight is between the 4 teams behind them and it's for 3 positions.

irishman86 wrote: »
    This season you could easily say there is no title challenging team, i know your replying to a comment that most likely was a smart arsed one.
    Even with the loss i'd be surprised if a team gets within 9 points of City again

Believe what you want, it wasn't.
    You're right as regards no title challenging team and it being a year of everyone chasing second to fourth. I was questioning more along the lines of who'd be there to mop up should City squander their lead.
    I can't see Liverpool being the team to do That. They've ****ed away too many easy points all year yet will beat all those around them at the drop of a hat. Too inconsistent.
    Or is that too smartarse for You? Don't overstretch now.

Who is a title challenging team then? Chelsea? United? Silly argument that seems you're trying to get a dig in at Liverpool fans.

So you're saying Liverpool are as tight as a ducks arse at the back? Someone better tell JK he's just pissed away £75000000.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So you're saying Liverpool are as tight as a ducks arse at the back? Someone better tell JK he's just pissed away £75000000.

You claimed the team in joint second are not title challenging, that's very clearly incorrect, the league table doesnt lie.

If you claimed liverpool leak a lot of goals, it would be hard to disagree with you.

But that's not what you said, either way, you've made you anti pool opinion very clear.

• Advertisement

Liverpool

Before todays game Liverpool had the best home defensive record in the league by conceding just 4 goals at home.

But as Shamo said, your point wasn't to do with defending.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You claimed the team in joint second are not title challenging, that's very clearly incorrect, the league table doesnt lie.

If you claimed liverpool leak a lot of goals, it would be hard to disagree with you.

But that's not what you said, either way, you've made you anti pool opinion very clear.

I love watching them play htg. I think Klopp is a real breath of fresh air. I envy ye're home atmosphere especially in Europe. I'm not anti any club, I just mooted a point where City could throw it all away and think Liverpool wouldnt be there to step in, they ship too many.
    Christ I'm sorry I ever posted now.

I love watching them play htg. I think Klopp is a real breath of fresh air. I envy ye're home atmosphere especially in Europe. I'm not anti any club, I just mooted a point where City could throw it all away and think Liverpool wouldnt be there to step in, they ship too many.
    Christ I'm sorry I ever posted now.

Don't be like that, we're all friends here, not really but it sounds nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah, City are 15 points clear. Nobodies challenging that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Before this game, City had trailed in the Premier League for a total of 70 minutes. In this match alone, they were behind for 63
    Liverpool scored 24% of the goals that Man City conceded this season in the Premier League

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    No matter how many goals Liverpool are shipping they're still level on points for second, none of the so called challengers are solid throughout the team, that's why they're so far behind City. I genuinely think with a decent keeper Liverpool would be right up there.

Yeah, City are 15 points clear. Nobodies challenging that.

The teams closest are automatically the nearest challenging teams. That's just a fact!!

How strong a challenge they represent, is a different question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    No matter how many goals Liverpool are shipping they're still level on points for second, none of the so called challengers are solid throughout the team, that's why they're so far behind City. I genuinely think with a decent keeper Liverpool would be right up there.

Alisson at Roma or Donnarumma at Milan would do. Oblak at Atletico would be the ideal choice but he's got a €100m release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    Alisson at Roma or Donnarumma at Milan would do. Oblak at Atletico would be the ideal choice but he's got a €100m release clause.

Can see Chelsea activating that if Courtois goes to Real

The teams closest are automatically the nearest challenging teams. That's just a fact!!

How strong a challenge they represent, is a different question.

Ach by your logic everyones challenging then.

Ach by your logic everyones challenging then.

CLOSEST...... the clue is in the word;)

By your logic there are no challengers in the league at all.

CLOSEST...... the clue is in the word;)

By your logic there are no challengers in the league at all.

Yeah, there isn't :D

15 points behind is hardly challenging.
    Paddy Power already paid out too and they're no fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In that case, being beaten by anyone would be a worry then because nobody else is closer to them than Liverpool, no? Which is a bizarre outlook, really. Every team loses at some point.

15 points behind is hardly challenging.
    Paddy Power already paid out too and they're no fools.

It is of course challenging. Not as well as to make it an interesting challenge as of now, but the teams Closest to City are their challengers. You might not agree because of the points difference, but league position dictates it.

• Advertisement

It is of course challenging. Not as well as to make it an interesting challenge as of now, but the teams Closest to City are their challengers. You might not agree because of the points difference, but league position dictates it.
    Well if a horse is a furlong or two behind the runaway leader do you still call it challenging?

Liverpool
    Well if a horse is a furlong or two behind the runaway leader do you still call it challenging?

Depends how far they are from the finish :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Depends how far they are from the finish :)
    The way someone challenges is when they get very close to the leader.
    15 points is not close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    In that case, being beaten by anyone would be a worry then because nobody else is closer to them than Liverpool, no? Which is a bizarre outlook, really. Every team loses at some point.

Well technically United are closer than Liverpool

Liverpool
    And likely to be closer again this time tomorrow.

If the leading horse fell, who would win ? :D

Sure the second horse obviously.
    Third and the rest should pull up.
    :-)

No the leading horse knows it has the race won and is just cantering and thus unlikely to fall. It's not even a jumps race anyway.:D

Sure the second horse obviously.
    Third and the rest should pull up.
    :-)

But sure the second and third should really just give up as they are not challenging...:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

irishman86 wrote: »
    Well technically United are closer than Liverpool

Yes by 3 goals on GD, but kind of immaterial when 15 points behind.

Advertisement