Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    But sure the second and third should really just give up as they are not challenging...:pac::pac:

and are more likely to fall than the leader :):pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

and are more likely to fall than the leader :):pac:

So you're saying there's a chance! Sound. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Yes by 3 goals on GD, but kind of immaterial when 15 points behind.

I agree, just technically they are second so closer to City

• Everton
    irishman86 wrote: »
    I agree, just technically they are second so closer to City

It's the alternate league table thing again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool
    United also have a very winnable game in hand to close the gap to 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

RIP to Cyrille Regis, one of the trailblazer black flair players who died at a very young 59.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paul Lambert set to be confirmed Stoke’s new manager.

There’s not enough :pac: emojis to describe that appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Curbishley must be disappointed his name was next on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Curbishley must be disappointed his name was next on the list.

Theres a blast from the past whats he up to these days dya know Coulson?

And where the shíte have Charlton ended up? Still in League 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everton
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres a blast from the past whats he up to these days dya know Coulson?

And where the shíte have Charlton ended up? Still in League 1?

Think he does the punditry on sky for 3pm Saturday games last I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why did they sack Hughes to appoint Lambert?
    Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

De Bruyne is a special player, could see him being part of the Madrid Renaissance in the summer when they will surely break records

Maybe Salah too, honestly thought he was a little Danny Welbzy with his finishing but he has put them away this season for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    De Bruyne is a special player, could see him being part of the Madrid Renaissance in the summer when they will surely break records

Maybe Salah too, honestly thought he was a little Danny Welbzy with his finishing but he has put them away this season for the most part.

Good record with Roma as well last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Agree. Both should be targets for R. Madrid.
    KDB is the best in this league by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Stokes new manager....Paul Lambert......errr ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Man City
    gmisk wrote: »
    Stokes new manager....Paul Lambert......errr ok

Did very well at Norwich. Obviously less well after that but could see him doing a decent job at Stoke. Not an appointment to excite anyone but one that I think will prove very sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Did very well at Norwich. Obviously less well after that but could see him doing a decent job at Stoke. Not an appointment to excite anyone but one that I think will prove very sound.

Surprised me to read that he finished up at Norwich in 2012. Where does the time go?!

I had no clue that he had managed at Blackburn and Wolves after Villa, too.

What I remember about him as a manager is that he is good at organising a defence and making teams hard to beat. Stoke desperately need an injection of that so in that respect, it makes sense.

It also looks a little silly for the club to have had several public pursuits and to have failed all of them. Like Everton with Koeman, you'd have expected them to do their homework before pulling the trigger on Hughes and had a replacement lined up given that it is mid-season. With the usual suspects - Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Hodgson, etc - all recently hired, they would have known that they faced some trouble hiring.

Rowett signing a new deal, Sanchez Flores and O'Neill turning them down, it doesn't look great for Stoke. No succession plan.

But, that said, on paper, they are a decent side. I like Butland, Shawcross, Zouma, Martins Indi, Allen and Shaqiri, and you'd expect the likes of Crouch, Diouf, Wimmer, Pieters, Fletcher and, maybe, Sohbi and Ngoy to put some decent performances together over the coming months. With the right motivation and maybe a clever signing or two, Stoke will be fine I think.

I wonder how that Bauer lad feels. He was wanted by Hughes, then signed when they had no manager. He could be left in an awful hape for the next 6 months if Lambert doesnt rate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    KDB is the best in this league by a mile.

It's not true. Kane is definitely as good at what he does. He's now close to flawless as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Surprised me to read that he finished up at Norwich in 2012. Where does the time go?!

I had no clue that he had managed at Blackburn and Wolves after Villa, too.

What I remember about him as a manager is that he is good at organising a defence and making teams hard to beat. Stoke desperately need an injection of that so in that respect, it makes sense.

It also looks a little silly for the club to have had several public pursuits and to have failed all of them. Like Everton with Koeman, you'd have expected them to do their homework before pulling the trigger on Hughes and had a replacement lined up given that it is mid-season. With the usual suspects - Pulis, Pardew, Allardyce, Hodgson, etc - all recently hired, they would have known that they faced some trouble hiring.

Rowett signing a new deal, Sanchez Flores and O'Neill turning them down, it doesn't look great for Stoke. No succession plan.

But, that said, on paper, they are a decent side. I like Butland, Shawcross, Zouma, Martins Indi, Allen and Shaqiri, and you'd expect the likes of Crouch, Diouf, Wimmer, Pieters, Fletcher and, maybe, Sohbi and Ngoy to put some decent performances together over the coming months. With the right motivation and maybe a clever signing or two, Stoke will be fine I think.
    I am a blackburn fan and he did a mediocre job at best and most fans glad to see back of him (I know basket case club but still - Tony Mowbray is doing a fairly excellent job now). He didnt operate under the same restrictions financially as Gary Bowyer and did a worse job.

When it comes to the stoke players you would think there should be 3 worse teams on paper....but im kinda stuggling for definites bar swansea.
    They have also spent a relative fortune on some players that have disappeared without a trace e.g. Gianelli Imbula (18m i think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

City haven't sold a player they didn't want to since the money came in. Zero chance of him leaving, he'll likely sign a new contract in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool
    JPA wrote: »
    City haven't sold a player they didn't want to since the money came in. Zero chance of him leaving, he'll likely sign a new contract in the next few weeks.

I thought Hazard might be on the move along with Kane,going to be massive spending going on there especially where they are in the La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I reckon RM will be after two of Dybala, Kane, Hazard and Salah to refresh the front line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    I thought Hazard might be on the move along with Kane,going to be massive spending going on there especially where they are in the La Liga.

Thats about 350-400m worth of transfer fees theyed be paying.

Thats if Levy allows Kane to leave for a "decent" amount.

Liverpool
    I reckon RM will be after two of Dybala, Kane, Hazard and Salah to refresh the front line.

If they can massage Ronnies ego, give him an extension and more €€€€€, they wont need a CF, surround Ronnie with 2 suppliers like Dybala, Hazard or Salah and he'd flourish I reckon.

Spurs
    Apparently Guedes is their main target for the summer. He's been lighting up la liga on loan from PSG.

He'll potentially be the breakthrough star of the world cup this summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Apparently Guedes is their main target for the summer. He's been lighting up la liga on loan from PSG.

I remember when Phil Babb was the breakthrough defender of the World Cup :pac:

Liverpool
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats about 350-400m worth of transfer fees theyed be paying.

Thats if Levy allows Kane to leave for a "decent" amount.

Yep(200 for Kane 150 Hazard) ,If they can get United to buy Ronnie then that would be 100 off the bill ,either way I think everyone is expecting massive spending from them.

Liverpool

Good to know for a few bets for the WC

• Advertisement

Yep(200 for Kane 150 Hazard) ,If they can get United to buy Ronnie then that would be 100 off the bill ,either way I think everyone is expecting massive spending from them.

You think United would spend 100m on Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool

Yes. Sure Pogbas shirt sales paid most of his fee according to some united fans so Ronaldo would sell 10 times Pogba would, he'd make you 100s of millions. it'd be an investment.

Liverpool

That would be hes going rate maybe a bit less but yea they would.He would be worth alot hes name alone would boost United profile.Shirts sales o brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    Someone fire up the shirt sales and relevance to transfers article link there, it's been a while.

Liverpool
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Someone fire up the shirt sales and relevance to transfers article link there, it's been a while.

Only if Net Spend is next, Chelsea have been performing pretty well in the Net Spend column of late. :o

Spurs
    Stephen Ireland starting for Stoke tonight haha.

• Advertisement

Liverpool

He'll bang in 4 now to spite you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

An irrelevant article which ignores the fact that teams don't all have the same deal in place with their shirt manufacturer. The biggest ones especially.

Madrid need to spend big as they are a shambles this season.

Liverpool
    Madrid need to get rid of Ronnie first and foremost then they can truly rebuild a bit like Wenger at Arsenal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great strike, but terrible defending there. Of course he was going to shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's the alternate league table thing again

Christ your back must be in bits carrying around that chip on your shoulder

• Everton
    fullstop wrote: »
    Christ your back must be in bits carrying around that chip on your shoulder

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I can't help but think of Sampdoria when seeing the Stoke jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nope
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just seen the Stoke line-up. Looks dreadful. You can see why they are in trouble.

Decent players in their day but any side still starting all three of Peter Crouch, Stephen Ireland and Darren Fletcher is asking for trouble.

Back four looks horrific. That said I know they have some injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool

They won't be able to afford them next season.

There's almost no figure either club would accept. In both cases they'd rather tell them to **** off and sit on the bench than bend.

It'd take contract shenanigans in a few years or some unknown release clause at this stage.

Real's team isn't actually that old but they've a lot of work to get through in the next 4 seasons, as Ramos, Marcelo and Ronaldo edge towards the chopping block and Bale is a crock, while Benzema probably needs to stop being a lapdog and go be the main man somewhere else.

Still, it's tough to find upgrades on any of Kroos, Carvajal, Isco, Asensio while the rest of their back line has enough gas in the tank to be competetive.

They won't be able to address everything in one go.
    I can see Hazard, but I can't see any of Kane, Salah or De Bruyne. You're talking £250m+ each, whether they're worth it or not, and probably 400k a week on top of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Stephen Ireland??? Thought I was seeing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Dea gea poor there under a cross not for the first time.

Liverpool
    Stoke with two very good chances and should have scored both.

Liverpool
    Dive!

>.>

• Advertisement
Advertisement