Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

So blunt up top Spurs had to put it in for them. Aurier has been getting targeted tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Saints 1-0. Have something to hold onto now. Spurs need to turn this around. Can't afford to go six points behind Liverpool in the race for fourth.

Edit: That was short lived. Saints can't defend set pieces. 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Man City
    Unlucky Sanchez dangerous ball in 1/0 to the host's

davycc wrote: »
    Unlucky Sanchez dangerous ball in 1/0 to the host's

1-1 from a set piece.

Man City
    Kane!! Beauty let's finish them of before half time

• Advertisement

Man City
    Deir unlucky to smash the Post with a stunning volley just before Kane header

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Southampton playing so attacking it's cringeworthy. Spurs have really struggled against sides who scored early and shut the door but Southampton are trying to go toe to toe against a much better side, it's just a matter of time. They deserve to go down for such poor awareness of what they are.

Man City
    Sissoko fluffed a tap in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

How has Dembele not been booked yet? That's three fouls in a pretty short period of time.

*edit* make that 4 now. He must have some dirt on the ref!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Southampton who are now 18th, got 75 million for Van Dijk & have bought nobody.
    Themselves and Newcastle are playing a risky game expecting to stay up due to who's down with them rather than their own quality.

• Advertisement

Dembele with yet another foul, and still no yellow card. That's at least 5 fouls he's committed now. Not gone unnoticed by "Le God" either;

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/955125404255293440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Everton
    blueser wrote: »
    Dembele with yet another foul, and still no yellow card. That's at least 5 fouls he's committed now. Not gone unnoticed by "Le God" either;

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/955125404255293440

Jim Beglin on NBC just commented when he booked Sissoko "I was beginning to think he couldn't spell Moussa"

Spurs looking very ordinary out there today.

*cue late Spurs winner*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Spurs have been awful

How Sissoko is a PL player ill never know

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sissoko replacing Eriksen was never going to go well. He's a terrible player, and i do not understand Poch's persistence with playing him.

Spurs
    Irish, go on son!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow, Southampton have two Irish centre-forwards: Long and...Obafemi.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal
    Proper Irish name as well.

Bring on a DM

Spurs really have a terrible squad overall

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Southampton who are now 18th, got 75 million for Van Dijk & have bought nobody.
    Themselves and Newcastle are playing a risky game expecting to stay up due to who's down with them rather than their own quality.

Completely different cases. Newcastle are up for sale and Ashley isn't going to put money into them. Not sure what Southampton's game is.
    Spurs looking very ordinary out there today.

*cue late Spurs winner*

And they need it. They cannot afford to let Liverpool out of their sights. Liverpool have two gimmes before they play Spurs at Anfield. Top four cold be over for them after that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Everton

No wonder they're struggling.

Similar eye for goal apparently...:rolleyes:

Spurs

He's as good a finisher too.

The ref has been ****ing

awful

making it a stop start game

Arsenal v Spurs for fifth and sixth. Wonder how Sky are going to market that one.

niallo27 wrote: »
    There's a lot of the Obafemis down here in culchie land; common name around Westport!

Berserker wrote: »
    Arsenal v Spurs for fifth and sixth. Wonder how Sky are going to market that one.
    "Europa Showdown"?

There's a lot of the Obafemis down here in culchie land; common name around Westport!

I remember making a similar quip when I saw Simon Zebo playing for Ireland U-20s or something years ago: "One of the Mullingar Zebos" or somesuch. Soon stopped seeming weird on the teamsheet though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Everton
    Here's a few of his goals this season in youth or reserve side. Plenty of pace and decent finishing

https://mobile.twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/955096730114048000/video/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Headshot wrote:
    Spurs really have a terrible squad overall

Their transfer record has been rather poor over last few years so as they've lost players, replacements haven't been up to scratch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

niallo27 wrote: »

O'Bafemi ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spurs could be in real bother (as opposed to Real bother), if Liverpool win tomorrow - their next five non FA Cup games -

Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
    Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal
    Juventus v Tottenham Hotspur
    Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur

• Everton
    Another poor result for spurs

Nice1

Hopefully we have Sanchez signed up just in time to hammer them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Spurs could be in real bother (as opposed to Real bother), if Liverpool win tomorrow - their next five non FA Cup games -

Spurs time at the top is done for me, wouldnt be surprised to see Alli and Kane head to sunny climes in the summer
    They have a great starting 11 but for me a meh squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The bottom 12 teams separated by 11 points that is quiet crazy really any of the could still go down.

The quality of the bottom 12 is at an all time low in my opinion.

The fact that the worst Everton team for 20 years, 2 shots on target in 5 games, are currently 9th sums it up.

Really poor teams playing really poor football.

What's interesting is that the "rest of the league 7th-20th" have been spending money (bar Newcastle) - Everton have blown about 200 million in the last 18 months, Leicester, Stoke, West Ham, Palace loads while even the likes of Huddersfield and Bournemouth can say yes to 15m+ players. It just seems a lot of it has been very much wasted on supposed instant solutions. Obviously this then reflects poorly on the judgement and quality of managers -

Palace
    West Ham
    Stoke
    WBA
    Watford
    Everton
    Swansea
    Leicester

have all sacked a manager and you'd have to reckon Soton and Newcastle could lose theirs yet.

It just seems a lot of it has been very much wasted on supposed instant solutions. Obviously this then reflects poorly on the judgement and quality of managers -

Or the shortage of players at the very top level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Everyone else knew this in the summer.

Terrible recruitment from Everton this season. Literally just buying players with no real plan on what to do with them or how they can work do together.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/955359855254130688

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Paully D wrote: »
    Everyone else knew this in the summer.

Terrible recruitment from Everton this season. Literally just buying players with no real plan on what to do with them or how they can work do together.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/955359855254130688

Everyone should have known that but you had a few pundits and people on here predicting possible top 4. None of the players they signed in the summer with the exception of Pickford getting into the Liverpool team would be a starter at a top 6 team. They also lost their main man in lukaku . Rooney I know he has scored a few goals but he has been poor and has been on the decline for years at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

irishman86 wrote: »
    Spurs time at the top is done for me, wouldnt be surprised to see Alli and Kane head to sunny climes in the summer
    They have a great starting 11 but for me a meh squad

Injury permitting Spurs potential squad is:

GKS: Lloris; Vorm;
    FBS: Trippier; Aurier; Rose; Davies
    CBS: Alderwiereld; Vertonghen; Sanchez; Dier (if required)
    CMS: Dier; Dembele; Wanyama; Winks
    'Creative' Mids: Eriksen; Alli; Son; Lamela; Sissoko
    CFs: Kane; Llorente

You can make a half decent team with a few good switches out of that lot. The problem this year has been the switch to Wembley is killing momentum and the 'creatives', Alli in particular, haven't been playing even close to their potential (nor has Llorente as backup to Kane). It has also been very unfortunate that the spine of the team, Alderwiereld, Wanyama and Dembele have missed a huge chunk of the season through injury.

Injuries are finally clearing up but Dembele; Lamela; Rose and Wanyama have looked awful rusty. Assuming they haven't forgotten how to play football altogether and will eventually get their match fitness back, I wouldn't be writing off Spurs just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    Injury permitting Spurs potential squad is:

GKS: Lloris; Vorm;
    FBS: Trippier; Aurier; Rose; Davies
    CBS: Alderwiereld; Vertonghen; Sanchez; Dier (if required)
    CMS: Dier; Dembele; Wanyama; Winks
    'Creative' Mids: Eriksen; Alli; Son; Lamela; Sissoko
    CFs: Kane; Llorente

You can make a half decent team with a few good switches out of that lot. The problem this year has been the switch to Wembley is killing momentum and the 'creatives', Alli in particular, haven't been playing even close to their potential (nor has Llorente as backup to Kane). It has also been very unfortunate that the spine of the team, Alderwiereld, Wanyama and Dembele have missed a huge chunk of the season through injury.

Injuries are finally clearing up but Dembele; Lamela; Rose and Wanyama have looked awful rusty. Assuming they haven't forgotten how to play football altogether and will eventually get their match fitness back, I wouldn't be writing off Spurs just yet.

What happens if Kane does go? Look a bit light at CB from your list though.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What happens if Kane does go? Look a bit light at CB from your list though.

Kane is one of the top players in the world at the moment, of course he can't be directly replaced. He hasn't gone anywhere yet though and certainly won't be going this transfer window. If (when?) he goes there would have to be a huge revamp of the team. Levy and ENIC aren't stupid and, I would argue, have been the smartest of the top 6 in the transfer market in recent years (Sissoko aside!).

I'm not getting your point about the CBs. I would have thought any one of the four listed would be snapped up by any of the other top 6 teams if they were available? Spurs only need two or three per game. I don't want to start WW3 but there are centre backs playing regularly with other top 6 teams who would give me nightmares.

What happens if Kane does go?

They'll have about 200m to spend on strikers!

Man City

As a spurs fan I'm looking forward to each and every one of them cracking fixtures.

We should have a brand new Toby alderwald back fully fit he is our most important player by some way and our team is a different animal with him in and oozes the winning mentality.
    We stop conceding stupid goals and no dropping points. We should expect to go on long winning streaks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    Kane is one of the top players in the world at the moment, of course he can't be directly replaced. He hasn't gone anywhere yet though and certainly won't be going this transfer window. If (when?) he goes there would have to be a huge revamp of the team. Levy and ENIC aren't stupid and, I would argue, have been the smartest of the top 6 in the transfer market in recent years (Sissoko aside!).

I'm not getting your point about the CBs. I would have thought any one of the four listed would be snapped up by any of the other top 6 teams if they were available? Spurs only need two or three per game. I don't want to start WW3 but there are centre backs playing regularly with other top 6 teams who would give me nightmares.

You've only listed 3 CBs (I was talking about numbers not quality) and Dier who's a SCAM isn't he? If one is injured your very light on cover.

If Kane goes it could be similar to Liverpool losing Suarez. Vital to replace correctly which Liverpool didn't do straight away.

You've only listed 3 CBs (I was talking about numbers not quality) and Dier who's a SCAM isn't he? If one is injured your very light on cover.

If Kane goes it could be similar to Liverpool losing Suarez. Vital to replace correctly which Liverpool didn't do straight away.

I listed Dier because that was his original position and he still plays there regularly. In my opinion it is also his best position and I wouldn't play him in midfield if Dembele and Wanyama were firing on all cylinders. If everyone was available, I would be playing a back three of Dier, Alderwiereld and Vertonghen (with a very unlucky Sanchez as back up) with Dembele and Wanyama in Midfield. Teams could park the bus all they like but there would be no fluky early goals conceded which has blighted Spurs all season. The FBs would then bomb on and give some energy to the midfield which has been missing most of the season. On current form, Alli would lose out to Son and Eriksen.

In the event of injuries at CB, Summer signing Foyth is also a CB and Wanyama can do a more than capable job if necessary.

No argument with Kane, some players you can't replace directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Spurs have the best CBS in the league. Alderweireld has been a big loss for them which is no surprise as along with azpilicueta is the best defender in the league. I think spurs biggest problem this year has been the form of alli he hasn't been at the level of the last couple of seasons.

Spurs
    Yeah centre back isn't an issue, Vertonghen and Sanchez are both incredibly pace, they'd probably slot into any of the top sides.

I'm not overly keen on their centre midfielders, they're good but haven't been consistent enough this season.

Dele having an average season too, he broke down a good few promising counter attacks yesterday. I'm a huge fan, but strikes me his heart isn't in it for them, or he's bothered that he could be realistically getting 4x what he's on at Spurs elsewhere, probably eating away at him and distracting him from onfield matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah centre back isn't an issue, Vertonghen and Sanchez are both incredibly pace, they'd probably slot into any of the top sides.

I'm not overly keen on their centre midfielders, they're good but haven't been consistent enough this season.

Dele having an average season too, he broke down a good few promising counter attacks yesterday. I'm a huge fan, but strikes me his heart isn't in it for them, or he's bothered that he could be realistically getting 4x what he's on at Spurs elsewhere, probably eating away at him and distracting him from onfield matters.

Vertonghen has not got incredible pace at all. Good player though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement