Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Did I miss soenthing. Is he not part of the fab four that before tonihht were free scoring and the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yes, free scoring against Arsenal one week, draw a blank against Huddersfield the next. Will never win the league that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    Yes, free scoring against Arsenal one week, draw a blank against Huddersfield the next. Will never win the league that way...

About as consistent as when I make a packet of powdered soup. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Did I miss soenthing. Is he not part of the fab four that before tonihht were free scoring and the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For a striker that you think you think is poor he has 17 goals in 32 games wouldn't call that a bad return at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    I'd say he's overtaken Jesus in contention for starting place in Brazil's X1 for the world cup based on this seasons form.

davycc wrote: »
    Rickey Lambert must be awaiting the phone call from Klopp before the window slams shot again

I've just remembered they already have Danny Ings. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'd say he's overtaken Jesus in contention for starting place in Brazil's X1 for the world cup based on this seasons form.

Id would seriously doubt it, even at Jesus at 20 I'd sooner play him, Jesus is a natural striker Firmino is not.

Spurs
    Id would seriously doubt it, even at Jesus at 20 I'd sooner play him, Jesus is a natural striker Firmino is not.

Yeah but they obviously have Neymar up there who scores lots and plenty of goals from midfield from likes of Coutinho and Paulinho too. Think in Firmino's current form he offers more than Jesus who may find it hard to get back in City side after return from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

City are way more coherent with Jesus in the side. His movement is sublime.

irishman86 wrote: »
    So even less defence :pac:
    It might just be crazy enough to work

Play two proper DMs behind them. No more gung ho than most other top teams IMO...

Liverpool
    Yeah but they obviously have Neymar up there who scores lots and plenty of goals from midfield from likes of Coutinho and Paulinho too. Think in Firmino's current form he offers more than Jesus who may find it hard to get back in City side after return from injury.

Where would you play Firmino out-of interest in that squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

DUKyNaNUMAALe6q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

DUKyNaNUMAALe6q.jpg

How many of them are confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    Hazard is Chelseas highest earner on 200k, AFAIK.

Cesc is meant to be on 175K.

Courtis and Hazard will be getting bumps soon, thats assuming they sign contract extensions.
    Courtois will probably double his wages to 200k and Hazard will push towards 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Biggest squad and biggest wage bill yet their has been a bit of a narrative that Jose didn't stand a chance up against pep this year due to resources. I've no problem with utd splashing the cash they have earned it and Sanchez is a great purchase . I'd say their best signing since fergie stepped down but they are in no way financial underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    Footyleaks confirmed Pogbas salary as 201k

Zlatan took a 220k hit from his last contract to re-sign which is 140k

So that’s 2 wrong already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    DUKyNaNUMAALe6q.jpg

Was Boards a source for some of those wages :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Money money money
    Deloitte Football Money League

2016-17 revenue in £m (v 2015-16 revenue)

1) Manchester United 581.2 (515.3)
    2) Real Madrid 579.7 (463.8)
    3) Barcelona 557.1 (463.8)
    4) Bayern Munich 505.1 (442.7)
    5) Manchester City 453.5 (392.6)
    6) Arsenal 419 (350.4)
    7) PSG 417.8 (389.6)
    8) Chelsea 367.8 (334.6)
    9) Liverpool 364.5 (302)
    10) Juventus 348.6 (253.5)
    11) Tottenham 305.6 (209.2)
    12) Borussia Dortmund 285.8 (212.3)
    13) Atlético Madrid 234.2 (171)~
    14) Leicester City 233 (128.7)
    15) Internazionale 225.2 (134)
    16) Schalke 197.8 (167.9)
    17) West Ham 183.3 (143.8)
    18) Southampton 182.3 (124.3)
    19) Napoli 172.5 (107.8)
    20) Everton 171.2 (121.5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool
    astradave wrote: »
    Footyleaks confirmed Pogbas salary as 201k

Zlatan took a 220k hit from his last contract to re-sign which is 140k

So that’s 2 wrong already

So Zlatan was on £360k last season? I thought it was much less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didn't Sanchez get a 150k increase over 4 hours according to one paper?

• Everton
    pjohnson wrote: »

It's been indicated direct from Man Utd to the Independent that he's earning approx 300-350k a week

To get the best you have to pay the best

I do enjoy the saltiness which typically adds on another 150k on to that :D

Everton

Yep, The Mail had a tweet saying Pogba was complaining and he wanted his wages bumped to match Sanchez on 450k p/w then a few hours later the same paper tweeted something about Sanchez being on 600k p/w. They're all bull****ters and I don't think anyone really believes them, but it's seemingly something that oppos can cry about so let them off.

Spurs
    Where would you play Firmino out-of interest in that squad.

I literally said ahead of Jesus. It was either or for most of qualifying but Roberto is the more complete of the two right now so I'd opt for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Truth is no body on boards or in the papers know what a player is earning unless they either see a private contract or the player misplaces their pay slip like John Arne Riise did once and it gets posted online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nice work if you can get it :p

• Advertisement

Everton
    Truth is no body on boards or in the papers know what a player is earning unless they either see a private contract or the player misplaces their pay slip like John Arne Riise did once and it gets posted online.

I think the footy leaks are pretty reliable by all accounts but with them you tend to get some information on some players several years later.

United payroll is 45% of turnover, that we know. I guess you could work from there to see what kind of figures the squad could be on in averages if you had the desire to do so.

'based on multiple sources,' and here's a typical example:

worst-fanboys.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton

I really dont get this natural striker nonsense, surely the player who makes the team better is the way to go rather than stick to stone age ideas of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Everton
    Why do people really care what their club supposedly pay players.

Why would United fans care if they pay Sanchez 600k a week? If he helps win a league thats surely all that matters for fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Play two proper DMs behind them. No more gung ho than most other top teams IMO...

But they dont have two proper dm's
    So just to accomdate a new striker they should go and sign two new players :confused:

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    But they dont have two proper dm's
    So just to accomdate a new striker they should go and sign two new players :confused:

Well sign one Kante-type player and play Henderson or Can alongside him

Liverpool
    I literally said ahead of Jesus. It was either or for most of qualifying but Roberto is the more complete of the two right now so I'd opt for him.

What does that mean,you left some of the sentence?

Spurs
    What does that mean,you left some of the sentence?

As in they either started Jesus or Firmino in that position in the last first years of qualifying, so it's a place very much in the balance between the two of them, unlike say a Neymar or Coutinho who have their positions in the side pretty much locked down.

Liverpool
    As in they either started Jesus or Firmino in that position in the last first years of qualifying, so it's a place very much in the balance between the two of them, unlike say a Neymar or Coutinho who have their positions in the side pretty much locked down.

Well not really,it seems to me that Jesus get the place pretty much locked down unless he was injured but it is a direct sub for Jesus to Firmino .This is just looking over the last Brazil World Cup qualifying games and shows he has the position locked down with 7 goals and Brazil top goal scorer for that period of games and Firmino with one.
    I couldn't find the exact minutes they played in that maybe you could find out but to me anyway it seems its Jesus spot with Firmino with a late sub.

Spurs
    Well not really,it seems to me that Jesus get the place pretty much locked down unless he was injured but it is a direct sub for Jesus to Firmino .This is just looking over the last Brazil World Cup qualifying games and shows he has the position locked down with 7 goals and Brazil top goal scorer for that period of games and Firmino with one.
    I couldn't find the exact minutes they played in that maybe you could find out but to me anyway it seems its Jesus spot with Firmino with a late sub.

I know Jesus has played more, but Firmino has started games and played plenty of minutes for them. My initial point you quoted i said "I think Firmino has overtaken Jesus now", so I know Jesus was ahead in the reckoning but I now think based on form since Brazil's last game, which is obviously hugely important in a world cup year, that Firmino has outperformed him.

We'll see obviously, if Jesus can't displace Kun much at City for the rest of the season he's in trouble imo.

Liverpool
    I know Jesus has played more, but Firmino has started games and played plenty of minutes for them. My initial point you quoted i said "I think Firmino has overtaken Jesus now", so I know Jesus was ahead in the reckoning but I now think based on form since Brazil's last game, which is obviously hugely important in a world cup year, that Firmino has outperformed him.

We'll see obviously, if Jesus can't displace Kun much at City for the rest of the season he's in trouble imo.

What metrics are you using to gauge that Firmino is out performing Jesus?

I'd say he's overtaken Jesus

Oo don't say that around all those evangelicals in Brazil.:eek:

rs-john-lennon02-049d053a-1f8a-4c5d-9991-279027677733.jpg

Everton

In fairness if you're using actual metrics like stats (largely rubbish but anyway) he does rate quite favourably to Jesus in most attacking stats per 90.

Firmino is higher on forwards passes, key passes, chances created, and assists. Jesus has a higher total attack score and goals scored.

Again all per 90 and I don't agree that Firmino has been better but using stats he does rate well.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2017/2018/roberto_firmino/819/819/2021/0/p|premier_league/2017/2018/gabriel_jesus/819/819/18137/0/p#attack_score/total_forward_passes/key_passes/chances_created/assists/goals_scored#90

Spurs

Better goals to game ratio in all comps this season. Better assists to game ratio. More key passes. And he doesn't have nearly as good a supply line from midfield as Jesus does which makes it more impressive. Also has more tackles per game, more interceptions per game, so doing more without the ball too. No injury worries really. And just basically has looked better from a i watch a lot of games and he's been better perspective.

Liverpool
    Apart from Kane I can't think of any striker that has had a better season than firmino so far.

• Advertisement

Everton
    Apart from Kane I can't think of any striker that has had a better season than firmino so far.

Unless you're going by goals scored which is kinda key to a striker then Aguero has 6 more than him and Lukaku has 1 more than him. Rooney and Vardy level with him despite playing for weaker sides.

Not a lot between any of them tbh.

Liverpool
    Jayop wrote: »
    Unless you're going by goals scored which is kinda key to a striker then Aguero has 6 more than him and Lukaku has 1 more than him. Rooney and Vardy level with him despite playing for weaker sides.

Well if you compare Jesus with Firmino its 1007 minutes played 8 goals 4 assists to Firminos 1685 minutes 10 goals and 6 that is 7.5 games more played.
    As a striker goes I cant see why anyone would think Firmino would take Jesus spot at Brazil .
    Suppose we will have to wait and see but id be pretty confident that Jesus is going to be leading the line and Firmino bench warming and be getting minutes as a sub.

Liverpool

I'm not going by goals scored i think there is more to a strikers game than that. Rooney has been very poor for Everton this year and should be nowhere near the discussion. Everton have had 3 managers this year and all 3 have dropped him as far as I recall . Aguero who is the best striker in the league IMO has been off the boil a bit this year.

Spurs
    Well if you compare Jesus with Firmino its 1007 minutes played 8 goals 4 assists to Firminos 1685 minutes 10 goals and 6 that is 7.5 games more played.
    As a striker goes I cant see why anyone would think Firmino would take Jesus spot at Brazil .
    Suppose we will have to wait and see but id be pretty confident that Jesus is going to be leading the line and Firmino bench warming and be getting minutes as a sub.

My point was better in all comps. You can pick and choose the stats you want to suit you I guess and conveniently dismiss Firmino is the second top scorer and second top assister in Europe's elite competition also.

And Jesus has 2 assists not 4 so stop doubling his total.

Everton
    I'm not going by goals scored i think there is more to a strikers game than that. Rooney has been very poor for Everton this year and should be nowhere near the discussion. Everton have had 3 managers this year and all 3 have dropped him as far as I recall . Aguero who is the best striker in the league IMO has been off the boil a bit this year.

Agree with you about Rooney although his goal scoring has been impressive. He'll be dropped/rotated now for the rest of his career as you'd expect.

Disagree with you about the best striker in the League. For me it's now Kane by a distance. Aguero has been the best for quite a while but Kane is better now and imo will be better than Aguero ever was over the course of his career.

Everton
    Just read a funny one that strikes me as a huge number but maybe I'm wrong. Lukaku has hit the woodwork 19 times in his premier league career. Anyone think of someone with a higher number?

edit: Rooney has 29 but with many more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jayop wrote:
    Just read a funny one that strikes me as a huge number but maybe I'm wrong. Lukaku has hit the woodwork 19 times in his premier league career. Anyone think of someone with a higher number?

Different league but Messi has hit the woodwork 15 times this season so far which is crazy

Liverpool
    Agree with you about Rooney although his goal scoring has been impressive. He'll be dropped/rotated now for the rest of his career as you'd expect.

Disagree with you about the best striker in the League. For me it's now Kane by a distance. Aguero has been the best for quite a while but Kane is better now and imo will be better than Aguero ever was over the course of his career.

Although I do have to say that goal Rooney got from the halfway line is as good a goal as I've seen all season. He just can't get around the pitch anymore which is sad to see from someone still relatively young.

Liverpool
    My point was better in all comps. You can pick and choose the stats you want to suit you I guess and conveniently dismiss Firmino is the second top scorer and second top assister in Europe's elite competition also.

And Jesus has 2 assists not 4 so stop doubling his total.

I was just going by the Official Fantasy Football stats which are up to date but they do give an assist if it goes for an own goal and Jesus was the last one to tocuh it before the og
    I only use the PL because both play against the same teams while the CL and other comps high scores can be racked up against some far weaker teams.
    Either way I stand by what I said Jesus would have easo;y out scored Firmino in the near 8 games he missed if you dont think that fair enough we have to wait and watch the World Cup and see who plays and scores.Fancy a wager?

• Advertisement

Liverpool

Yea the way its going it looks very much like that.

Advertisement