Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Everton
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Different league but Messi has hit the woodwork 15 times this season so far which is crazy

That's just mental. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Everton
    Well sign one Kante-type player and play Henderson or Can alongside him

Henderson and Kante would be a passible midfield
    Thats purely because Kante is a top 5 cm/dm in the world
    Who exactly is out there that Liverpool could get and all this to get a "proper striker" into the squad where there is no need to do so what so ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thursday 1 March
    19:45 Arsenal v Manchester City (Sky Sports)
    *Subject to Man City's possible involvement in an FA Cup 5th round replay

Saturday 3 March
    12:30 Burnley v Everton (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Liverpool v Newcastle United (BT Sport)

Sunday 4 March
    13:30 Brighton & Hove Albion v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
    16:00 Manchester City v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Monday 5 March
    20:00 Crystal Palace v Manchester United (Sky Sports)

Saturday 10 March
    12:30 Manchester United v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Chelsea v Crystal Palace (BT Sport)

Sunday 11 March
    13:30 Arsenal v Watford (Sky Sports)
    16:00 AFC Bournemouth v Tottenham Hotspur (Sky Sports)

Monday 12 March
    20:00 Stoke City v Manchester City (Sky Sports)

Friday 16 March
    20:00 Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United (Sky Sports)
    *This match is subject to possible FA Cup sixth round participation

Saturday 17 March
    12:30 Burnley v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
    17:30 Liverpool v Watford (BT Sport)
    *Matches subject to possible FA Cup sixth round participation

Sunday 18 March
    13:30 West Ham United v Manchester United (Sky Sports)
    16:00 Manchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion (Sky Sports)
    *Matches subject to possible FA Cup sixth round participation

Saturday 31 March
    12:30 Crystal Palace v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
    *This match is subject to possible movement dependent upon participation of PL Clubs in the UEFA Champions League the following Tuesday
    17:30 Everton v Manchester City (BT Sport)

Sunday 1 April
    13:30 Arsenal v Stoke City (Sky Sports)
    16:00 Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur (Sky Sports)
    *This match is subject to possible movement dependent upon participation of PL Clubs in the UEFA Champions League the following Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Rekop dog wrote: »
    My point was better in all comps. You can pick and choose the stats you want to suit you I guess and conveniently dismiss Firmino is the second top scorer and second top assister in Europe's elite competition also.

And Jesus has 2 assists not 4 so stop doubling his total.

I was just going by the Official Fantasy Football stats which are up to date but they do give an assist if it goes for an own goal and Jesus was the last one to tocuh it before the og
    I only use the PL because both play against the same teams while the CL and other comps high scores can be racked up against some far weaker teams.
    Either way I stand by what I said Jesus would have easo;y out scored Firmino in the near 8 games he missed if you dont think that fair enough we have to wait and watch the World Cup and see who plays and scores.Fancy a wager?

I reckon they’ll both get plenty of time during the World Cup. Two good options. To be honest I think Jesus is probably overrated and Firmino is underrated from what I’ve seen. Firmino is really strong and gets involved a lot more. The game can pass Jesus by sometimes. He is nowhere near the level of the great players of the game imo, not yet anyway.

I can see Jesus starting the earlier games but maybe Firmino will get more action in the tougher knockout games.

• Everton
    Looks like Sane could be out for a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Looks like Sane could be out for a month

Horrific challenge on him, his foot being planted made it even worse..

• Everton
    astradave wrote: »

Yea, I'd say it wasn't far off a break.
    Wreckless tackles tend to be commonplace in the FA cup with alot of players in the lower divisions just going in wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

astradave wrote: »

Neil Warrnock teams - hoped we had seen the end of him and his barbaric football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

thebaz wrote: »
    Neil Warrnock teams - hoped we had seen the end of him and his barbaric football

Neil Warnock is a class act alright. All this is missing is a two World Wars quote:

www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/he-is-in-england-what-do-you-expect-neil-warnocks-bizarre-reaction-to-criticism-of-xrated-challenge-36541152.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yea, I'd say it wasn't far off a break.
    Wreckless tackles tend to be commonplace in the FA cup with alot of players in the lower divisions just going in wild.
    Worst thing is that he will receive no retrospective ban because he got the yellow for that offence. The subsequent card should not overshadow the fact that he made a cynical and dangerous challenge on a fellow pro that could have ended his season and potentially longer and should have walked for it. They have to change the retrospective punishment piece as unless the ref says that he definitely got it wrong which the FA suggest that you should not do then he will receive no further sanction.

Have just attended next level of the refereeing training and there were challenges that were not as bad as that which the FA put in their educational information as straight reds.

• Advertisement

Everton
    That not getting a ban because it was a yellow was done away with years ago, no? I seem to remember a player stamping on Januzaj when he played with United, got a yellow on the day but was upgraded afterwards and got a ban. I think the ref has to point out that he got it wrong in the match report or that he didn't see it properly.

That said, you still rarely hear of it happening if the only example that I can think of was from 4 years ago.

• Everton
    Swansea & Huddersfield to win?
    I suspect a good price for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Swansea & Huddersfield to win?
    I suspect a good price for that too.

Keep your money in your pocket. Arsenal are always good for a loss on the road but they are playing well at the moment. I think Swansea pulled off their shock win last time out and normal service will resume in this game. Huddersfield are decent at home but can't see Wagner getting one over on his best pal Klopp. Expect Liverpool to be raring to go after losing their last two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Paul Alcock has died aged 64 RIP. A reason to wheel out the famous vid -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Berserker wrote: »
    Keep your money in your pocket. Arsenal are always good for a loss on the road but they are playing well at the moment. I think Swansea pulled off their shock win last time out and normal service will resume in this game. Huddersfield are decent at home but can't see Wagner getting one over on his best pal Klopp. Expect Liverpool to be raring to go after losing their last two.

Would never ever put a bet on a Liverpool game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Paul Alcock has died aged 64 RIP. A reason to wheel out the famous vid -

Winterburn's flinch still makes me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Match of the Day to stay on the BBC till 2022.
    Match of the Day will show Premier League highlights until at least the 2021-22 season after renewing its contract for a further three years.

The £211.5m deal - up from £204m - also includes Match of the Day 2, Football Focus and The Premier League Show.

MOTD and MOTD2 attract a combined audience of more than seven million each weekend.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said the deal highlights the show's "continued success and popularity".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42873526

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool
    Nice stadium Huddersfield have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Really amateur defending from Rice there. Can't see him maintaining his place very long if he continues in that vain.

• Everton
    Benteke puts Palace in front

• Advertisement

Benteke puts Palace in front

That's only his second goal of the season. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Won't complain but Jesus you can't be getting beaten on the near post like that. 2-0 liverpool.

Everton
    So sickened that we got beat by this lot. Such a load of ****e. Sickened doesn't start to cover it.

Jayop wrote: »
    So sickened that we got beat by this lot. Such a load of ****e. Sickened doesn't start to cover it.

I think you caught them when they were on the crest of a wave to be fair. Different times now. The PL is taking it's toll on them. I hope they stay up but it's going to be very tough for them.

Everton
    Berserker wrote: »
    I think you caught them when they were on the crest of a wave to be fair. Different times now. The PL is taking it's toll on them. I hope they stay up but it's going to be very tough for them.

Ah yeah we played them at a terrible time. Just after the Liverpool game where we played awful and in that Huddersfield game everything that could go wrong did. Jones went off early and Lindelof made some howlers. They managed to get under our skin that day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spurs
    Been saying it for months 're Swansea, they were far too good to be stuck at the foot of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wasn't expecting that manager appointment to have such an effect on them

Huddersfield though...they've had the signs of going down for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool
    That 2nd Swansea goal was an omni shambles from Cech and the Arsenal backline.

Christ.

Liverpool
    Arsenal could very well finish behind spurs again.

They're brutal on the road....... saying that, we've best them once in eight games :o

• Advertisement

Very poor performance by Arsenal tonight. Eight points off fourth now. That's well and truly over for them.

Everton
    Happy for Swansea for a change. Normally I hate the Swansea managers but this new guy seems like a very likable kind of chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sad to see Arsenal like this. I've always had respect for Arsenal and how hey are run but something desperately needs to changed and that's Wenger going.

I don't understand how Wenger still think's he's capable of managing this club anymore. Wouldn't you think that he can see how the club is going down hill with him in charge.

Liverpool
    They've sold Walcott Sanchez and very likely giroud.

That's 65 goals in the last 2 seasons out of the team, that's hard to replace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They've sold Walcott
    Even Arsenal get some things right.

Liverpool
    Even Arsenal get some things right.

You never sell to a rival, even for the Europa League. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Arsenal
    You never sell to a rival, even for the Europa League. :o

They sold to Everton though lol

Everton
    A united win tomorrow will really have a massive impact on the top 4 race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Certainly if Liverpool did likewise at the weekend.

Liverpool
    Liamalone wrote: »
    They sold to Everton though lol

That was the poor joke. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liverpool
    I thought Clucas' first goal was appalling defending but it managed to get worse from there.

It's well and good to call it Liverpool defending and hahaha and all that but that was another level.
    That's, "we don't give a **** any more" defending.

The effort made to track runs, even ones right in front of players (no excuse they were on the blindside), the effort to defend 1v1 against Ayew, were worse than the clear mis-hitting the ball ****ups from Monreal and Cech.

Whatever about Cech, I had thought that Arsenal's personnel in defence was decent.

A new manager's not going to turn them right around into 90pt title challengers, but he'd get more out of the than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And if Liverpool beat spurs it's looking like the top 4 won't be changing. Spurs have a lot of tough fixtures but do tend to finish the season strong. If spurs miss top 4 I think it'll be open season on their squad.

Everton
    Certainly if Liverpool did likewise at the weekend.
    rob316 wrote: »
    And if Liverpool beat spurs it's looking like the top 4 won't be changing. Spurs have a lot of tough fixtures but do tend to finish the season strong. If spurs miss top 4 I think it'll be open season on their squad.

Aye, a win for us tomorrow puts us 14 clear of Arsenal and 11 clear of Spurs. I just hope to God he goes for it and doesn't settle for a draw. A draw suits us OK for top 4 but really 2nd and 3rd are the prime positions left so next summer isn't screwed up.

If Liverpool also managed to beat Spurs then put a fork in the top four, it's done.

United have Huddersfield after Spurs and I really hope we do a job on them because that was the loss that really cost us any sort of a title shot this year. Not their fault but still I'm butthurt about it. And I don't like that Moye fella.

• Everton
    Well I got half the predictions correct

Arsenal being Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Liverpool
    If you were a betting man you'd have won... nothing.

• Everton
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    If you were a betting man you'd have won... nothing.

Correct

Liverpool
    rob316 wrote: »

Kane is clearly the prized asset but theres no way Levy would sell him to a PL side.

Alderwielrd would be a very good CB option though for any of the top 6 sides.

Kane is clearly the prized asset but theres no way Levy would sell him to a PL side.

Alderwielrd would be a very good CB option though for any of the top 6 sides.

Money talks. A huge record breaking fee might persuade him!

Also, what if Kane doesn't want to go abroad? Maybe he does, I've no idea.

Liverpool
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Money talks. A huge record breaking fee might persuade him!

Also, what if Kane doesn't want to go abroad? Maybe he does, I've no idea.

Theres only 2 teams that could afford him in that case. :o

Youre right though, it would take at the very leat a British record to sign him and probably close to world record fee before Levy would entertain selling him.

If Kane has a good world cup, Real could well break the bank to wrestle him from Spurs and kick start another spending spree but I heard the other day that theyre having issues with the funding for the redevelopment of the Bernabeu.

Theres only 2 teams that could afford him in that case. :o

Youre right though, it would take at the very leat a British record to sign him and probably close to world record fee before Levy would entertain selling him.

If Kane has a good world cup, Real could well break the bank to wrestle him from Spurs and kick start another spending spree but I heard the other day that theyre having issues with the funding for the redevelopment of the Bernabeu.

Real will always find the cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Real's lack of activity in the recent windows will likely see them need to splash the guys of €500 million this summer if they are to target the players they'd be expected to.

A keeper to replace Navas - Donnarumma, de Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Kepa; an attacking winger/number 10 to replace/add to Bale/Ronaldo - Hazard, Salah, etc; and a striker - Kane, Aguero.

All that goes out the window if Neymar is available and they throw the cash there instead.

It's hard to see them being able to secure all of those but not acting in the last few windows to bring in a player at a time has left them in an unusual scenario.

Knowing Real, though, they'll throw a huge wedge of money at the breakout star from the World Cup, whoever that happens to be, and leave themselves in need of a player or two having lost face to PSG, Barca, Man Utd, etc in the last few windows in terms of dominating the headlines.

Funnily enough, though, it has coincided with two CL wins and their most successful period in quite some time. You'd imagine they'll forget all about that, though!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement