Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir iPhone 7 unlocking, relock to new operator?

Options
  • 15-06-2017 3:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I bought the iPhone 7 with Eir Mobile two months ago and lodged €200 into my account so I get it unlocked earlier as there is a minimum spend before they will unlock it for you. I just want the phone unlocked as I travel abroad a good bit.

I received this email today from EIR and I can't believe my eyes at the absolute nonsense contained within.

Dear ,

We have received your iPhone unlocking request and your phone will be remotely unlocked within the next 10 working days. In order to fully unlock the phone you will need to follow the below steps after 10 working days:

1. Place the SIM card of the new operator you wish to move to into the iPhone.
    2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'.
    3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (this normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).
    4. iTunes will detected the new SIM and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.
    5. From here, the iPhone (still connected to iTunes) will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:
    i. Check for latest Software update
    ii. Perform a customer restore (SYNC)

During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.

This means that your iPhone will then become locked to the new network.

Once the syncing is complete your phone is now ready for use with another network operator.

If you need to unlock your iPhone again you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.

I hope you find this information useful.
    Kind Regards,
    The eir Team
    I want my phone to be unlocked so I can use it with any sim when I like, I find this useful for travelling abroad, now with the new EU roaming it will be less of a requirement but I will flying to Dubai in 2 weeks time which was why I requested the unlock as I want to place a Etisalat simcard from the UAE into my phone whilst I'm there. I do not however want to come back to Ireland and find my iPhone has become simlocked to Etisalat like this email is indicating will happen.

Like seriously this is is incompetence of the highest order, I had an iPhone 6 before with Meteor and I was able to unlock it and use it abroad with several different simcard and the phone never locked to the new operator.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I've never heard of that. Once a phone is unlocked it's unlocked, no matter what operator it's with, but, then again nothing eir do would surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I didn't even read the full email, but I can guess what it's saying from one line. Once an iPhone is unlocked, it's unlocked. If you put a new sim card into it, it won't become locked to that network

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Eir have been posting this nonsense for years. A search of this thread should show numerous examples of posts about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No it's not true. The operators send this out automatically.
    It will remain unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gerry sat

being trying to get my iPhone 6 unlocked since march, and get the same bul**** all the time, and still not unlocked, and I'm out of contract over 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

It's absolute and total BS. Eir are just posting the Meteor company line.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057445941/1#post95862600

I had the same issue in 2015. I posted on the meteor forum also and it eventually got taken down. Lots of their fanboys were insisting this relock was a thing and eventually meteor said :

1. We are right because apple told us these are the steps
    2. Sometimes phones will get re-locked sometimes they won't. They backtracked here a bit as they initially insisted it will always relock.
    3. All apple phones have a sim lock feature which engages when you change sim

Absolute donkeys.

Advertisement