Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in ongar

Options
  • 15-06-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Is it just me or are the 2 disabled parking spaces in the car park beside Dunnes in Ongar always occupied by cars parked by people who are not disabled? A lot of the times I'm there there are cars parked in these spots with no disabled stickers - it's a disgrace - particularly as drivers who are genuinely disabled cannot use them when this happens! Also the same goes for people just mounting the nearby footpath even though there are double yellow lines on the road - people just parking there and heading into do the shopping?!! Anyone with a buggy has to then walk on the road...Why are certain people so very ignorant and rude? Can nothing be done about this type of behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

This happens everywhere there are disabled parking spaces. It is quite disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Eire_2016 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the 2 disabled parking spaces in the car park beside Dunnes in Ongar always occupied by cars parked by people who are not disabled? A lot of the times I'm there there are cars parked in these spots with no disabled stickers - it's a disgrace - particularly as drivers who are genuinely disabled cannot use them when this happens! Also the same goes for people just mounting the nearby footpath even though there are double yellow lines on the road - people just parking there and heading into do the shopping?!! Anyone with a buggy has to then walk on the road...Why are certain people so very ignorant and rude? Can nothing be done about this type of behaviour?

Witnessed a lady challenge another lady over this very thing just before christmas as she got out of her car ( a v.nice black BMW 5 series IIRC) after parking in one of those very spot... she was asked why she had no disabled sticker visible on her vehicle & the driver tore into the lady quite aggressively accusing her of being racist... I had heard the whole thing & this claim was nonsense, nothing she had said was racist in the slightest & said as such to her, offered my contact details to the lady in case she wanted to pursue it further but she declined & looked quite shaken by the engagement... obviously decided it was more trouble than it was worth.
    Any surprise no one bothers anymore?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I had a chat shall we say with a man in a van parked there, oh it’s not my van, I’m not driving etc, with another tradesman van parked in other space. The walk from the carpark to dunnes to get their breakfast roll was all too much for them.

My mother who has a valid pass and is on a walking stick was left to walk from the carpark, lucky a nice women gave us a trolley she just finished with and was saying she’s the same issues with the those spaces(her mother has the badge)

It’s a shame as it’s handy to get to and has most of the stuff you’d want without the excitement of the one in the centre.

P.S they could do with cutting the bushes at the wheelchair spaces as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

daymobrew wrote: »
    This happens everywhere there are disabled parking spaces. It is quite disgusting.

You should go to Aldi in mulhuddart, they have special invisible children to go to parent and baby spaces :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Eire_2016

it looks to happen here much more often - it is far more than the odd ignorant scum bag chancing his/her arm - it's happening routinely all day every day!!

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Witnessed a lady challenge another lady over this very thing just before christmas as she got out of her car ( a v.nice black BMW 5 series IIRC) after parking in one of those very spot... she was asked why she had no disabled sticker visible on her vehicle & the driver tore into the lady quite aggressively accusing her of being racist...
    I find that guilty people are SO aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

This one was anyway...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Yes, absolutely. It's because they know that you are right and they are wrong, so by being aggressive they hope you'll just leave them be. It's an extreme form of embarrassment, I find.

Having said that, couldn't the security/management at Dunnes try and police the disabled parking spaces more stringently? They're RIGHT outside the door. Or is it actually anything to do with them, and up to Fingal CoCo instead?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Guys,not a new issue here..move along! :)

I have at least 30-50 photos of the cars parked in Ongar.
    Boards took them out.
    Is at least 5 years old problem..

Dunnes cannot do anything as that is beyond their boundary.
    The cars parked in front of shop entrance is massive every day , any of the hour !

The cars parking on the disabled spots,WELL the dedicated space signs are not visible until you actually parked over there,as the writing is very faint.

I have photos of the cars parked exactly in the roundabout, beside the pub,cars parked there an driver whent to shop nearby with absolute not a single fcuk given to other cars or passers by.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Was around there earlier today. Under the arch on the way in to the car park there was one car parked on the path/double yellow, just ahead of that was a car literally just stopped. The woman was routing in her bag for something, but was blocking traffic.
    I see the disabled spot outside the hair dressers is frequently occupied with cars not showing their badges either. I said it to one woman one day and was told she was only popping in to the shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Eire_2016

eimsRV wrote: »
    I see the disabled spot outside the hair dressers is frequently occupied with cars not showing their badges either. I said it to one woman one day and was told she was only popping in to the shops
    I suspect strongly that it's very much a question of the ignorant clowns u encounter not actually having a badge to display due to the fact that they are not disabled rather they are just rudely parking in the space specially designated for disabled drivers!!

My residents association met with the Community Gardai last week. With respect to illegal parking, they said that Fingal County Council does not employ any parking wardens so enforcement is left to the Gardai.

A parking warden would pay for themselves many times over. Parking enforcement seems to be profitable work for NCPS who manage many free and paid car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Mere mention of parking in Ongar risks turn me into Victor Meldrew, but agree on the disabled spots and cars mounting the pavement. Wouldn't hold my breath on Dunnes doing too much - moving their entrance with disregard to planning, taking away rubbish bins (even with busy hot food counter, closing off upper level of parking and scheduling/accepting articulated lorry deliveries during busiest periods doesn't do a whole lot to help the situation.

Disabled spots in front of off-license and ERA totally ignore and the management company overdue to repaint them.

Parking outside the takeaway on the bend with Rendez-vous is terrible in the evening, getting worse and it's always the same cars, so don't think it's unfair to suspect delivery drivers, but their employers must take some responsibility too. There is a silver Prius regularly abandoned at bizarre angles and not even an attempt at parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Innocent123

Parking in Ongar really boils my blood, especially across from Dunnes door, on a footpath and double yellow lineswith no consideration for wheelchairs, buggies, in fact anyone trying to use the footpath forced onto the road. I'd like to do a survey, considering there's hundreds of parking spaces less than a minutes walk from the door, is the reason they choose to park where they do a)selfishness, b) laziness, c) self importance, d) all three?

As for the original door to Dunnes no longer being in use and the only way from the main street being through that dirty archway with a tiny footpath, that's a rant for another day....

Advertisement