Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cambodia

Options
  • 15-06-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Will be heading to Cambodia next month for 4 weeks.

Just wondering, is the easiest thing to bring a large backpack, rather than a big suitcase? Will be travelling around to different areas.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

For four weeks, you want something accessible. A backpack that only opens from the top can be a pain to work out of. If it opens from the side, I'd go with that. Easier to carry than a suitcase.

That's how I'd see it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

A small backpack is what you want. Leave two thirds of what you're planning to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bringing a small backpack (school bag size) with me as my carry on, and I can use that as my day pack also.

Any recommendations on a good large backpack, with side openings?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I had a Vango bag when I was out that way a couple of years back.. Side opening and you could also carry it on your back. I think it was the 50 litre one!

Thanks

Any tips for traveling Cambodia solo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Thanks

Any tips for traveling Cambodia solo?

Be safe and don't get eaten Son in the Kingdom of Kampuchea! :D

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clippett

If you plan on travelling around by bus then "Giant Ibis" are the best company to travel with by far!

Pack lightly as you can get laundry done for about $1USD a kilo.

If you plan on doing Angkor Wat and the temples make sure to take on plenty of water before and during as you're gonna sweat like never before!!

Have fun it's awesome

Also Maybank offer free ATM withdrawals to EU Visa cards. It's about a $5USD fee per withdrawal elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Clippett wrote: »
    Pack lightly as you can get laundry done for about $1USD a kilo.

Just to emphasize this, laundry is for nothing and you'll have your stuff back to you in a few hours so pack light and get your stuff washed as you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just to emphasize this, laundry is for nothing and you'll have your stuff back to you in a few hours so pack light and get your stuff washed as you need it.

Sound advice this.I travelled with a 32L back pack all over SE asia.No need for anything bigger really.You can buy all you need out there and get your laundry done cheaply.

The upside of this too is you can have your bag with you at all times,on planes,buses,trains.Cambodia isn't a place to be looking for "missing" luggage.

I can still see the young Germans in Ho Chi Minh city struggling to get on a bus with what looked like ATM machines on their backs..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I would recommend a medium sized backpack. It would be very awkward with rolling suitcases over there. (Also you can do a quad biking trip from Siem Reap into the countryside for the day. I highly recommend it!)

cooperguy wrote: »
    I would recommend a medium sized backpack. It would be very awkward with rolling suitcases over there. (Also you can do a quad biking trip from Siem Reap into the countryside for the day. I highly recommend it!)

Yes I purchased a nice Lowe Alpine backpack for the trip.

Is it better to book accommodation all beforehand and have a set plan, or book as I go?

Is it better to book accommodation all beforehand and have a set plan, or book as I go?

We just booked our first couple of nights accommodation so that we had a base when we got there. After that just booked as we went. This was good for us we decided to extend our stay in Siem Reap and meant that we could do as we pleased and not be tied down to a strict plan.

There is plenty of very reasonably priced accomodation and using booking.com or agoda.com even the day before you plan to stay you will find loads of places.

It's really a case of each to their own.

Advertisement