Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do we think of Marino?

Options
  • 15-06-2017 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

What do people think of Marino? I am thinking of buying a house There.
    I love it and I think it is cute and quaint.
    It is pricier than surrounding suburbs e.g. santry, Whitehall etc
    Some people think it has a bad name.
    Anyone able to reassure me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Only you can decide if an area is right for you. Walk around lots, randomly stop people and have a wee chat (obviously sensibly)! Call into the local businesses, and speak to the workers, especially the security. Have a word with the local pharmacist, they tend to get a few of the local 'characters' in.

Be sure to go up on a Friday/Saturday night/morning after kicking out-time and see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hillbillies around the corner. No brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Never heard anyone describe Marino as having a bad name. If it is any of the 1920s and 30s houses, snap it up.
    Usual issues - parking, traffic etc.. Some great local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cracking area, nice neighbourhood. Great urban planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Very much sought after area.
    Great schools nearby and within walking distance to town... Dart and buses to town also.
    Prices have been growing fast there over past 2 years. Houses can be small / terraced, but many are renovating then with more money.
    Never heard it as a bad area... far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

One of the nicest areas in the City. Close to town, the coast, Croke Park, schools, shopping /eating, good transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Ok thanks for the encouragement.
    I know it's a silly post and a silly question.
    But sometimes in your head when.youre bidding you're like aahhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I would live there tomorrow if I could afford it. Marino is a gem of an area, I grew in nearby Donnycarney and Marino has so much going for it. Close to the sea, city and Dart Station beside Fairview Park. You can walk into town in about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I had a house there years ago. Lovely lovely lovely place, would recommend it to anyone.
    Tip: if its one of the older houses, buy yourself titanium drill bits. The walls are poured concrete and are next to impossible to hang a picture on!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be wary of scumbags in Fairview Park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fantastic area.

I lived in East Wall for seven years, I hated it and sold it and bade 'good luck. Only years later I realized there was a gem on my door step which I'd over looked.

If I'd the money to put into an old house I'd, and found a house I liked in Marino I'd have bought in a heartbeat.

Its a lovely area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭goochy

It's not that Marino has bad reputation it just has a name that sounds bad . I think it's a nice area but when I hear the name i dont think of it in same way as clontarf or griffth avenue even though it's basically same place

goochy wrote: »
    It's not that Marino has bad reputation it just has a name that sounds bad . I think it's a nice area but when I hear the name i dont think of it in same way as clontarf or griffth avenue even though it's basically same place

?

So they should have called it "Basically Griffith Avenue foreward slash basically Clontarf" instead of Marino?

Basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭goochy

no its just its a nicer place than its name suggests - maybe places with names ending in ' o ' just sound like someones nickname .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I think Marino is a cute name!.... well a lot better than Donnycarney (sob sob)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Once upon a time it was accurate at least, Marino was 'marine' in character but then Fairview Park was built on reclaimed land and the 'strand' moved out to Clontarf.

You see legacies of similar 'movements' in place names in Fairview Strand, East Wall and North Strand such as Seaview Avenue, Bayview Avenue, Strandville Avenue - no sea or shore in sight from there now :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

goochy wrote: »
    no its just its a nicer place than its name suggests - maybe places with names ending in ' o ' just sound like someones nickname .

Haha! Never looked at it that way. Fair enough!

Advertisement