Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Canyon Ultimate AL bearing help!

Options
  • 15-06-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

So, I got my fork replaced under warranty from Canyon for my 2011 Ultimate AL. Got it cut down to size and resprayed. Fitted the fork this evening and everything was fine apart from some headset bearing wear. While I've changed the top bearing a couple of times, I never felt the need to change the bottom until today.

I tapped out the bottom bearing with some struggle and noticed only the inner ring and the bearings themselves came out. Now, either the outer ring is stuck in the frame or the headtube itself acts as the outer ring, though that seems unlikely.

Have I fcuked up? Has anyone encountered problems with the Ultimate AL bottom headset bearing. Some guidance and insight before I go to a mechanic would be most helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

OK, so a little bit of research tells me that I didn't fcuk up. Rather, Canyon have an even more bizarre bottom bearing setup.
    This is from a 2012 Aeroad, similar bearing to mine.
    bearing.JPG
    So anyone know the model number for the bottom bearing like this on an Ultimate AL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thanks for that. Nothing specific on the bearings. Never touched the bottom bearing before so I was surprised when only the inner ring and bearings came out. The newest models have whole bearings in the frames.

E. Fox in Baldonnel now have a booklet with specific bearings for named bikes. I'll give them a shout and avoid Canyon trying to charge me e60.

Yeah, the outer ring/shell of the bearing is stuck in the headtube. Fairly bet in as well. I'll try to freeze it out if I can... it'll take some patience.

Any other DIY suggestions are welcome. Reluctant to go immediately to a mechanic but will do so if I can't get it out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Have you tried cane creeks headset finder?
    Could search for the bearings from the results.

https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

• Advertisement

Have the headset finally sorted... Yippee! Thanks to Kenneth in the Red Cow Gearbox Centre. Removed the stuck race and pressed in the new bottom headset bearing. He was fair surprised at the tightness of the original bearing fit, especially since its a thin walled Alu frame. He also understood me not wanting some chap in a bike shop trying to tap it out, burring up the cup and basically trashing the frame.

New bearings, top and bottom, now fitted and steering appears smooth. Should do me for another 5 or 6 years. Just the cabling to do and it'll be back on the road shortly, I hope!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a gearbox centre is not the sort of place i'd have thought of to go to with headset bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Interesting. I'm having a bit of grief getting a Giant TCR headset bearing.

a gearbox centre is not the sort of place i'd have thought of to go to with headset bearings.

I dropped into a couple of shops who wanted to try and tap it out. There was nothing to tap as the race was recessed into the frame. I was on the lookout for a bearing puller, when I dropped into the Irish Garage Equipment shop in Rathcoole who pointed me in the direction of the lads in the Red Cow centre.

He had every size and type of collet to pull the bearing out. I told him about using the ball bearing groove inside the race to get some purchase and move it a little, which it did. He was then able to get in behind it and get it out with a little effort on the slide hammer, all the while with me holding it steady for dear life! He also had the right sized socket to use for tapping in the new bearing. Very tight fit but got there in the end. I gave him e20 for the work. Saved me a small sum on buying a bearing puller and saved my frame, had I or someone else went at it with a hammer and screwdriver.

Advertisement