Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of half day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Cork Lass wrote: »
    . This persons lack of knowledge is worrisome considering the position they hold.
    and lack of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Graham wrote: »
    If something comes to light that could be considered a danger to the employees or a risk to the organisation of course it could be taken away.

Maybe you could argue the case if it were a half days holiday but good luck trying to convince someone that an afternoon on the lash at work is somehow protected.

I agree that it could but not without discussion which would most likely involve the union. However, the op sounds like a Line Manager and would not have the authority to take this away. It's a sad state of affairs if our Civil Servants are being paid to get plastered. The op should really be dealing with this issue. Is it any wonder the Civil Service/Public Service gets such a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Taking action for the specific offence would create a huge amount of problem for me, both from my team and management.

Well, you can't do anything then. Take it on the chin and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pilly wrote: »
    You're talking about a civil service here though that still get time off to "cash cheques" on a Friday!! Different kettle of fish in Ireland. Drinking is not frowned upon as much as in the UK.

I must work in a different Civil Service or an alternative dimension. I've been in my role as a CO for the past 2 years and never got time off to cash a cheque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I must work in a different Civil Service or an alternative dimension. I've been in my role as a CO for the past 2 years and never got time off to cash a cheque.

The time off is not "to cash a cheque", that's why it's in inverted commas.

An extra hour off was given way back when so that employees could cash cheques and that was never taken away.

Which I'm sure you know anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah the bank time was taken off civil servants years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

An extra hour off was given way back when so that employees could cash cheques and that was never taken away.

pilly you are wrong, it was 30 minutes given per week and that was removed years ago from all civil servants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I agree that it could but not without discussion which would most likely involve the union. However, the op sounds like a Line Manager and would not have the authority to take this away. It's a sad state of affairs if our Civil Servants are being paid to get plastered. The op should really be dealing with this issue. Is it any wonder the Civil Service/Public Service gets such a bad name.

I doubt this 'privilege' has ever been officially sanctioned. My guess is it started as a 'great work on the stock-take lads here's a few drinks' and now it's come to be expected.

I also doubt there's any union in the land daft enough to stick it's head up in the current environment and argue for it's public sector members beer-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How would I know?? I work my hours and that is it. I get no hours off or any extra time at all off. Sure there's even married women working here now, imagine that.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    pilly you are wrong, it was 30 minutes given per week and that was removed years ago from all civil servants.

So, how many hours a week does a civil servant work now?

• Advertisement

They actually took away the 30 minutes bank time per week and upped their working day by 30 minutes per day.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    They actually took away the 30 minutes bank time per week and upped their working day by 30 minutes per day.

Doesn't answer the question?

Well if you knew what hours they were working before hand like youve implied already then add 30 minutes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

In reality, most managers wouldn't know the meaning of Custom and Practice.

I do agree that punishing the team for a transgression of one team member is not in the best interests of the team.
    Perhaps that may be the case but surely anyone would know that you simply cannot punish a whole team for the behaviour of one individual. That's pretty basic knowledge. Also a manager should be aware of Custom and Practice and that they cannot sImply decide to take away a half day. This persons lack of knowledge is worrisome considering the position they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Most civil servants will work forty three and a quarter hours gross per week, i.e. inclusive of lunch breaks.

Source and further information:
    http://www.per.gov.ie/en/circulars-11-and-12-of-2013-working-hours-and-worksharing-arrangements/

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Can the OP please confirm the industry he/she is in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

drake70 wrote: »
    Most civil servants will work forty three and a quarter hours gross per week, i.e. inclusive of lunch breaks.
    [/url]

It looks like 37 hours when you exclude lunch breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The obvious answer to the op is to discipline the worker for causing a scene rather than getting drunk on the site.

Write him up and issue a written warning and going forward you can stop all drinking on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If I make it official, he gets sacked. It's not an breach that I can give an official warning for

So what if he gets sacked? Whats the issue with that? Is he your son or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

As said before if the custom has been established, it would be a hard road to take it away.

To be honest though, I'm surprised that Senior Management are allowing staff to drink on the premises from a vicarious liability point of view. The combo culture in this country is growing out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Love2love wrote:
    To be honest though, I'm surprised that Senior Management are allowing staff to drink on the premises from a vicarious liability point of view. The combo culture in this country is growing out of control.

Agreed, it's a court case waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Graham wrote: »
    It looks like 37 hours when you exclude lunch breaks.
    7 hours and 24 minutes worked exclusive of lunch which is a minumum of 30 minutes.

Just stop the drinking in the portacabin and let them blame their collegue for the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

You're protecting a member of staff who is guilty of gross misconduct, while removing privileges from staff who had nothing to do with it? Are you seriously considering this? This is a terrible idea, the potential impact on the morale of the other staff is bad enough, but why are you circumventing your workplace's disciplinary rules by not reporting this person? You're risking your own position on top of everything.

No need for me to add anything further this post=good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Without elaborating too much, taking action was pretty much out of the question. It would have made my life pretty difficult, and certainly wouldn't have been a course of action that my management would have been too happy with, irrespective of it being policy.

A can of worms really, bizarre as it sounds.

Approach someone in your command chain, i.e. your boss/manager you report to and ask for advice off the record.

I know many times over the years as a manager, I have gotten advice from a few different members of my cohort before making a decision.

You don't necessarily need to make a formal complaint in order to let your bosses know.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

A standard day is 7 hours 24minutes, not including lunch break. It was previously 6 hours 57 minutes. Bank time, which was only available to pre 2003 civil servants has been abolished. It was never removed from the working week. This information is freely available so your misunderstanding is hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Message for OP.

Stop the practice of drinking at work on work time. It's a sackable offence for ALL concerned.

If management knew that workers were drinking on site during work hours then they are in serious trouble as well.

You say you know the person was drinking on site and they were drunk but unless you can PROVE this then the individual will escape censure. Have you got people to come forward to say this person was drinking? Do you have them on CCTV? And when others see that they're going to be punished for the sins of others then I'd be surprised if anyone backed you up.

Even if the person drinking gets caught they could invoke the alcohol and drug policy in the CS and, as the CS deems alcohol abuse as a medical issue, then they could conceivably walk away from this if seen to tackle their alcohol "problem".

By turning a blind eye to what you knew was going on you're now in the firing line. You have a duty of care to your employees, not just the person drinking but ALL employees.

If I was in your position I'd have a quiet off the record word with the individual and ask them what happened and why? I'd listen to what they said but there's very little you can do apart from that but just to ensure that no more drinking takes place on work time at work.

By the way, if I was you and this story is true, I'd be deleting this thread before anyone else sees it. It's going to end worse for you then anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Don't punish the entire team - bad choice and will only put you in a difficult spot with the others.

You can't give this lad an official warning for being drunk, but you can sit him down for a chat and make it clear that you've heard a "rumour", which if in any way true would be an instantly sack-able offence.
    You don't have any evidence at this time to follow up on, but you hope there wont be any more "rumours" of this nature in future as they are taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

bill66 wrote: »
    A standard day is 7 hours 24minutes, not including lunch break. It was previously 6 hours 57 minutes. Bank time, which was only available to pre 2003 civil servants has been abolished. It was never removed from the working week. This information is freely available so your misunderstanding is hard to understand.

Oh he understands ok but he chooses to believe what Mick down the pub tells him.

As you stated this information is freely available. Same hours as someone working 9-5.30 with an hour for lunch.

While the getting hammered on site is not on I do find the shock at people drinking onsite quite funny. It's very common to have a stocked beer fridge in the office in many countries outside of Ireland and I often get beer and wine provided to me in meeting rooms etc when attending meetings in companies other European counties.

We used to have a spirits session in a meeting room at work every once in a while too (plenty of senior people in the company involved) was great craic trying all sorts of spirits people would bring in and getting nicely merry. While this was never officially allowed, drinking in the office wasn't banned either but then someone over did it on wine at an official event and they decided to ban drinking in the building so we had to curtail our little events and eventually they died out which was a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That is true - my last staff party was onsite and we all got wrecked.

Advertisement