Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over grown garden

Options
  • 15-06-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Hi so I've never posted here before and have some really stupid questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    I have a city garden a nice chunk of land but it is very very over grown trees need to be cut back grass tended no flowers anymore really there is one surviving rose bush with two flowers. A gooseberry tree and lots of bushes ever greens and the like.
    The grass is my primary concern there is a toddler who runs amok but there are patches of those flat weeds the yellow flowers grow out of and the thorny flat prickly ones? Sorry I can't explain more I don't know what their called. I assume i can't just dig them up or kill them can I? Prickly lettuce and carpet weed seem to be the two main ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grass is fairly straightforward to sort out but consider that if you any landscaping with machinery the grass may get dug up, so a bit like paint on a house renovation, do that last.

You can grow a nice lawn in no time but it can take decades to grow trees, so deal with them carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are probably referring to dandelions (the yellow flowers) and thistles (the prickles). Both are a nuisance in lawns. What you do about them depends on how many there are and what kind of area the lawn covers.

You can dig them out individually - use something long and narrow like a strong knife, and try and get the whole root up, the roots are very long. The other option is to use a spot weedkiller, you can get specific ones that you can spot treat difficult weeds. You then have to leave them for long enough to absorb the weedkiller and kill the root.

Once you are cutting the grass regularly the problem should get less.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Google 'weed pullers', if you a significant area, but not too big.
    As above poster said, you could spot treat with a weed killer.
    Regular mowing will help lawn.

Advertisement