Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating query

Options
  • 15-06-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi All,

I will soon be extending and renovating a 1979 bungalow bliss house in Cavan. The existing house is 122m2. We're going up&out, converting the house to a dormer and adding 17m2 to ground floor and 88m2 upstairs.

I have no experience in construction so it is a contractor build, but I have been following this and the C&P forum to try to educate myself as much as possible, to help make better decisions.

The renovation will already include a new roof, full re-wire and re-plumb. Aside from the re-plumb limited tearing up of the floor has been budgeted yet. The existing heating is provided by a Stanley Super 80 range converted for oil but we're not keeping this and it will be replaced with a smaller solid-fuel stove.

The house is cavity wall and was pumped with beads a few years ago. The new external walls and roof will use proper insulation and it is also planned to dryline the interior of the external walls. The contractor has also promised that air-tightness and ventilation will be priorities during the build and expects a high standard of both. All windows will also be upgraded to triple glaze.

It seems our best options for central heating are:
    # Air-to-Water heat pump and UFH throughout the house
    # As above but rads upstairs
    # Condensing oil boiler with UFH throughout
    # As above but rads upstairs
    # Condensing oil boiler with rads everywhere

Option #1 is our preference but we have to be realistic in terms of budget.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to provide ballpark prices for the above? I realise this could be very difficult with the information given but I can provide more if needed or I can also send plans by PM if that helps.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Advertisement