Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

Options
  • 15-06-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Can anyone please tell me what this is and what it is used for. I have 21 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed on my PC ranging from 2005 to 2017.
    Just wondering if i can delete any of them as trying to free up space.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's not a good idea, absolutely not for the 2013/15/17, probably not older ones either unless you can identify the software that made use of them which is a technical task on an elderly computer.

These are the microsoft software that permits 3rd party programs to talk to Windows. Programs that you've installed in the past included these to allow them to work. Many programs will not recognise the newer versions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For every installed package there is a probably a program using it - they will have packaged that program with a specific version and the program will look for that version
    Even deleting them won't release that much space back to you (and likely filled right back up again)

If space is an issue then time to upgrade your HDD/SSD

If you are not using hibernation then disable it, disable file history/backup etc/delete old backups - that will free gigabytes of data

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is not the forum for programming errors. Also please do not bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement