Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further study

Options
  • 15-06-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys looking for some help

I've just finished my final year in my BA in applied social studies I got my level 7 degree last year with a 2:2 overall then I decided to do the add on level 8 honours degree and just found out I only got a pass for this last year I'm a bit devastated

I want to apply for a masters in social work in a couple of years but will they even accept me? I plan to do some work experience and online courses

Any advice on what I should do will I have a chance with this degree if I do another course and get some experience will I have a shot? What kind of courses could I do etc all help will be appreciated I'm anxious and terrified right now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

Do you have an idea of what college you'd like to do the MSW in? If so, contact the department directly and see what they have to say. I know in UCC you can get into the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work Studies with a third class degree and higher, and from there you have the option, depending on how you do in Year 1 of that course, of transferring into Year 2 of the MSW. The Postgrad Diploma is accepted by CORU as a qualifying degree, so it's not necessary to transfer to the Masters if you don't want to/don't get the grade/etc.

Work experience is a big factor, necessary for admission to the Masters of Social Work, and a really big focus at interview so getting any kind of experience will only improve your chances.

The department will be able to better advise you, but even if your grades aren't enough, there are plenty of Higher Diplomas etc. that you could do - I think Trinity even to an online one.

It's perfectly normal to be upset and worried right now but you have a good few options to get you where you want to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amandabuck

Yoop_ wrote: »
    Do you have an idea of what college you'd like to do the MSW in? If so, contact the department directly and see what they have to say. I know in UCC you can get into the Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work Studies with a third class degree and higher, and from there you have the option, depending on how you do in Year 1 of that course, of transferring into Year 2 of the MSW. The Postgrad Diploma is accepted by CORU as a qualifying degree, so it's not necessary to transfer to the Masters if you don't want to/don't get the grade/etc.

Work experience is a big factor, necessary for admission to the Masters of Social Work, and a really big focus at interview so getting any kind of experience will only improve your chances.

The department will be able to better advise you, but even if your grades aren't enough, there are plenty of Higher Diplomas etc. that you could do - I think Trinity even to an online one.

It's perfectly normal to be upset and worried right now but you have a good few options to get you where you want to go :)

Thank you so much I'm thinking of doing the masters in ucc or ucd I'll look into the postgraduate diploma in ucc seeing as it might save some time someone also recommended I do a postgraduate diploma in social policy as an alternative way of being eligible that with work experience of course what do you think

Advertisement