Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from politics and account on probation.

• 16-06-2017 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

During the Sessions hearing a poster posted a picture of Foghorn Leghorn in the Trump thread saying that this is all they're reminded of listening to Sessions. Anyone familiar with the peculiarities of their speech would understand why. A warning was posted to stop this nonsense to which I responded it was because of the way they speak, nothing nefarious like they think Sessions is a cock.

I received a ban for 3 days (ban is still in place despite the days having expired), and as a result of this warning subsequently my account is in probation for the next few months.

I'd like this to be looked at, I don't think the mod is gracious enough to admit their mistake and misunderstanding due to them not knowing who Foghorn Leghorn was at the time and neither the original warning or banning were required. I have been in touch directly with them via pm.

Had the poster said he sounds like Foghorn Leghorn rather than posting a picture of him would the warning have been given?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Almost 36 hours with no input?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Apologies. I know you said you were in touch with the mod via PM. Can you confirm that they have refused to reconsider the ban?

Yeah, said they believed I was intentionally trolling and upholding the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for confirming. I'll bring this to the ttention of the CMods now.

It's been 4 days now, anyone looking at this?

• Advertisement

Hi
    I will take a look
    Can you forward me the PMs please? Also if you have a link to the relevant post/rough area that would be great
    thanks

PMs sent, my post in the thread was deleted as the Mod deletes posts that they deem offensive but you'll see it quoted in the initial PM to me about the banning.

Post 9893 is the initial post with the Foghorn Leghorn pic.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103797378

Hi TR, i have received your PMs and will look into this over the next few days. Thanks for your patience

hi TR,
    I have reviewed this and discussed it with the mod.
    Firstly the issue itself - you argued with a mod warning on thread, which is a sitewide no-no and in the politics charter itself. I think you are around long enough to know about that one. So there was definitely a problem here. We all definitely welcome feedback and discussion of mod actions etc, but they must be done via PM or some kind of feedback thread.

Secondly the scale of the ban - you had previously received a one day ban for the same thing, arguing with a mod warning on-thread, and therefore this ban was following the process of escalation.

Overall I will have to uphold the ban here.

Regarding the account probation, that will have to be discussed with an admin as I can't review that.
    You can ask for an admin review of my decision here as well if you like.

Thanks

I would argue that the case in point was not an argument with a mod, I pointed out their misinterpretation of what the poster posted. However the decision has been made for the reasons you outline.

The other instance you referred to was a post which I deleted from the thread pretty much just after I posted it, in fact it was removed by me before the mod got in touch with me about it (or at least before the PM showed up) as I was well aware of the line I stepped over, so I don't think that should count against me.

I do have an issue with the account on probation though so I'll await the admin review.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi ThisRegard,

I've just taken a look at the ban, and the leadup to this DRP. As bluewolf pointed out, discussing a mod action in-thread is a breach of the sitewide rules (and the Politics charter) - whether you feel that your response was being given under the guise of feedback isn't relevant here - you have been around long enough to know the appropriate channels to discuss a mod action. Therefore the ban is upheld, and the duration is appropriate, given your previous history on the forum.

Which brings us to the probation placed on your account. Looking at your history, there are 26 mod actions against your account, ranging from warnings to sitebans, and 8 of those actions are from the beginning of the year alone. So not only is the probabtionary period placed on your account appropriate, I'd argue that it's somewhat overdue.

I'd strongly suggest that you use the next few months to reconsider your posting style across boards, and keep your head down. Otherwise the next ban will be significantly longer.

~Mike

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement