Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cycle lane closed" signs on Samuel Beckett bridge, Dublin

Options
  • 16-06-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

These signs seem to be a permanent fixture on the east side cycle lane on the Samuel Beckett bridge and I can see no reason for their presence apart from causing congestion during busy hours.

Been there for a year I think.

Any idea why they are still there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hold on, I'll email the relevenat authorities for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The southbound bus lane on the Beckett Bridge is practically unused as one. The shared space for pedestrians and cyclists on the east side of the bridge is congested at the best of times, even without the 'Cycle Lane Closed' signs. The bend on the south side of the bridge and the narrow passage opposite The Ferryman is also an out-and-out design fudge and creates contention between cyclists and pedestrians, and between cyclists and other cyclists.

I believe the bus lane should be converted into a two-way cycle path, with the footpath widened to take in the old cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

OK so consensus is that there is no reason for their presence?

Can't see any roadworks taking place although I think they were put up originally when some were.

I guess a mail to FixMyStreet might suffice
    (or tossing them...)

mrcheez wrote: »
    OK so consensus is that there is no reason for their presence?

No there is a reason for the signs. There are ongoing works to build a flood defence wall on the south quays, just as you come around the bend heading southbound from the bridge. As part of those works, the existing footpath has been commandeered so pedestrians and cyclists are forced to share the existing narrow cyclepath. As such, cyclists are asked to dismount as the cyclepath has been turned into a footpath while the construction work is ongoing.

I agree that the construction work is taking a long, long time. Has anyone seen any active construction at the site in the past couple of months? Is it a case that they're waiting for the next wave of public funding to be allocated to the flood wall project?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The while setup is a farce heating south you cross at the green filter cycle light, but then have to stop at the other side as there's a red cycle light to allow people to cross east to west.
    Then the on footpath cycle lane is full of pedestrians then you get across and have to take the blind turn in to no mans land where there people walking and cycling etc.

Best bet us to just use the bus lane

• Advertisement

Anyway have sent a post to FixMyStreet, interesting to see if they get removed.

If not I'll push em to the side next time I'm passing ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    Best bet us to just use the bus lane

I always use the bus lane heading southbound, and stay on the road if I'm heading along Sir John Rogersons Quay.

If I'm coming back northbound from Grand Canal Square direction I use the cyclepath as far as the north side of the Beckett Bridge but then cross diagonally at the junction with the north quays and stay on the road on Guild Street. There's simply no better way to get onto Seville Place/North Circular Road otherwise.

Both paths are fine I find, as long as there are no sandbags/signs taking up half the width of the path.

Bell comes in handy for the occasionally pedestrian incursion but thankfully that's a rarity.

Advertisement