Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for a new club / style

Options
  • 16-06-2017 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys

i am currently looking for a new club and new martial art style preferably in the Dublin city center or north Dublin area. I come from a judo and shotokan karate background. I haven't practiced in over two years and i am looking to get back into martial arts and maybe try something new and different.

I am not into mainstream or crowded clubs, somewhere cheap that i can pay per-class or per week. friendly and easy going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

BJJ is a bucket of fun and the game (rules, etc) is different enough from judo that you'll find it challenging and have plenty to learn, but similar enough that you can progress reasonably fast (if you were any good at judo ne-waza to begin with).
    Aikido might also be an interesting way to bridge and blend your judo and karate background. From judo you'll have a better understanding of what grappling elements will actually work against a resisting opponent, and incorporate the wristlocks and other bits of Aikido that aren't in the Judo syllabus or ruleset.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Hey guys

i am currently looking for a new club and new martial art style preferably in the Dublin city center or north Dublin area. I come from a judo and shotokan karate background. I haven't practiced in over two years and i am looking to get back into martial arts and maybe try something new and different.

I am not into mainstream or crowded clubs, somewhere cheap that i can pay per-class or per week. friendly and easy going.

Why not try Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu.... Dublin 24

'Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu is a modern interpretation of Okinawa's historic combative-like disciplines. A completely systematized, cohesive and coherent method of learning/teaching, delivered in a traditional atmosphere, honouring both its culture and pioneers.'

KU Syllabus – Core Application Practices:

Percussive Impact [ Giving & Receiving]: Uchi/Uke-waza [29 techniques]
    The Clinch: Tegumi: Kotekitai, Kakie, Ude Tanren and Muchimi-di, etc. [36 techniques]
    Joint Manipulation, Cavity Seizing & Limb Entanglements: Kansetsu/Tuite-waza [72 techniques]
    Chokes/Strangles-Air/Blood Deprivation: Shime-waza [36 techniques]
    Balance Displacement: Nage-waza [55 techniques]
    Ground-fighting & Submission: Ne-waza [72 techniques]
    Escapes & Counters: Gyaku-waza [36 techniques]
    Kata: The classical mnemonic mechanism through which fighting principles are culminated, preserved and transmitted [classically choreographed routines]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

I would second the bjj suggestion.

You might find aikido difficult to adjust to, coming from a judo background

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KU Dublin

If you would like to try Koryu Uchinadi, and don't mind a trip to the south side, our details are on the KU Dublin website.

Apart from the location, we tick all the other boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Koden_Jujutsu

Hey guys

Check us out on FB: /NipponKodenJujutsu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Check us out on FB: /NipponKodenJujutsu

Looks like you're doing some kind of koryu or at least koryu influenced martial art- could you tell us a bit more about what school, and how the Irish branch came about. Did your instructor train in Japan, or under someone in Europe with permission to teach?

Genuinely curious, you don't see many groups like this cropping up in Ireland. I think you could probably count them on one hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jerry40

Hi all. Dose any know of any day time classes in limerick city. I work in the city and have a couple of hours off during the day and was hoping to take up a martial art. I have done judo years ago and shotokan karate.
    Any kelp please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VonRyan

In case you have not found something new yet... I suggest Tomiki Aikido. It's an art founded by a famous Judoka (Kenji Tomiki 8th Dan) and has strong linkages and teaching method to judo, while being totally different art. There is a small but active club on the Northside operating from the Belgard Community Centre.. just search for "Tomiki Aikido Dublin" to find their website

In case you have not found something new yet... I suggest Tomiki Aikido. It's an art founded by a famous Judoka (Kenji Tomiki 8th Dan) and has strong linkages and teaching method to judo, while being totally different art. There is a small but active club on the Northside operating from the Belgard Community Centre.. just search for "Tomiki Aikido Dublin" to find their website

How similar is your style to judo? Is there much randori/newaza

cletus wrote: »

Randori is an important focus for all Shodokan/Tomiki practitioners, as it is a key part of syllabus and accounts for 50% of every grading examination. There are of course a few different levels of "Randori" expected/required during grade examination with varying levels of resistance offered so that students can demonstrate waza, chaining technique and application. Full resistance Randori is usually reserved for Shiai (Competition) or squad players preparing for same.

There is no requirement for students to participate in Competition (Shiai) to grade but the principles will be required to be demonstrated.

Randori in Tomiki aikido involves breaking balance and attempting / performing throws, pins or locks from a standing position. Only certain techniques are allowed in Randori/Shiai (like in Judo). No grabbing of cloth is allowed in competition, nor are leg sweeps.

Outside of that, it's very much Aikido, with all other techniques (not allowed in Shiai) practiced as part of Koryu (kata) with a partner.

hope that provides a little insight.... best however to take a quick look at the Dublin Tomiki aikido website for more detailed information...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's different types of randori/competition. I think most clubs don't go in for it though

Nice elbow lock throw at 1:10

Interesting. Very high paced. Curious that they wear judo gis but don't allow you to grab them. Also, it seems like whoever gets the rubber baton loses

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interesting. Very high paced. Curious that they wear judo gis but don't allow you to grab them. Also, it seems like whoever gets the rubber baton loses

Originally they were going to use the term seperated judo for this. i.e. no grips or jacket wrestling.

The competitors take turns being the attacker with the stripey dildo, its an aikido thing..you can't both do aikido at the same time because it's defensive so one guy has to be an attacker, he gets points for landing stabs or reversing techniques

Least that was the way years ago

Bambi wrote: »
    Originally they were going to use the term seperated judo for this. i.e. no grips or jacket wrestling.

The competitors take turns being the attacker with the stripey dildo, its an aikido thing..you can't both do aikido at the same time because it's defensive so one guy has to be an attacker, he gets points for landing stabs or reversing techniques

Least that was the way years ago

On a fine point .......In Tanto Randori the attacker (known as Tanto) can also do aikido ...throw/counter throw and score, however only if the the defender (toshu) grips with two hands, and only using atemi waza (any of the first five techniques for basic kata)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Hey guys

Have you considered Taekwondo? There are a good few clubs around Dublin.

Advertisement