Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Spoke - cant get tire on :(

Options
  • 16-06-2017 1:00pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

:mad:

This is driving me nuts. I've tried continental and michelin and neither will go on, both are mad tight and I am really weary of using a tire lever in case I damage the carbon.

Any ideas for me please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

yop wrote: »
    :mad:

This is driving me nuts. I've tried continental and michelin and neither will go on, both are mad tight and I am really weary of using a tire lever in case I damage the carbon.

Any ideas for me please.

Use a tyre lever I've used them many a time on my carbon rims and never had issue. It is a bit squeaky bum time though doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have some spinach???? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

KY jelly on rim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Washing up liquid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Once you do manage to get the tyre on...now imagine you've been out on the bike for a while...its cold and wet and you get a puncture. your hands are cold (possibly numb)

Ask yourself...

Ok i might get this tyre off, but how will i get it back on again?

are you going to carry washing up liquid with you every time you go out?

just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

In fairness I doubt the OP will be putting in the rainy training miles on a tri-spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Google 'Kool Stop Tyre jack'.
    Had the same problem and bought one of these, did the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Once you do manage to get the tyre on...now imagine you've been out on the bike for a while...its cold and wet and you get a puncture. your hands are cold (possibly numb)

Ask yourself...

just a thought..

Some might. If I had a tough-to-fit tyre on my bike I might have something to help me if I needed to remove it.
    Also, you never know when there might be some emergency washing up to do...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Take the tyre and pop it somewhere warm for a while, obviously don't melt it but getting it warm to the touch will make it more malleable to put on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

What are the wheel dimensions? I accidently put a 25mm contni on a front wheel, and a 23mm on a rear (was meant to be the other way around)

Broke my heart, spirit and thumbs doing the rear, wrongly. Took about 20 minutes an A LOT of willpower, never mind the sweat and tears.

Four weeks later my hands still hurt when I stretch my thumbs out.

You might need a wider tyre to suit the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

So now you just need
    • spinach
    • washing liquid
    • An oven

Should be a handy training spin :pac:

christiania.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

07Lapierre wrote: »

Ask yourself...

just a thought..

I actually have a tiny travel plastic bottle with washing up liquid packed with the spare tyres! Takes up no space and really useful

Advertisement