Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

36 yr old thinking of buying a bike/getting license

• 16-06-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hello all,

Looking for some advice. Ive always wanted a motorbike and wondering can i get some advice here from people in the know.

where do i start as such ???

what bike can i get insurance for starting off with alerners permit etc ???

Is there a lot in getting a license, lessons , theory tests , courses etc ???

Any help would be grateful as im very uneducated in the biking scene as such.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

so id be only able to ride a 125cc or 25kw bike starting off ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

th hen wrote: »
    so id be only able to ride a 125cc or 25kw bike starting off ???
    No, once you've done your IBT you can ride whatever you can get insured on.

cheers lads, what would i be looking at pricewise for first time insurance. i was reading another thread since started this and people advised a 600 bike to start off as anything smaller would get boring quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

cheers lads, what would i be looking at pricewise for first time insurance. i was reading another thread since started this and people advised a 600 bike to start off as anything smaller would get boring quick

Depends on the bike really. Generally I would say around 400/500 PA.

• Advertisement

cheers lads, get looking into doing ibt so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hmm RGV/NSR250 ZXR,Fzr,CBR 400:D

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Hello all,

... Ive always wanted a motorbike ...

giphy.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You're too old to begin the training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was 40+ when I got my learner permit and did IBT. No regrets. My first (only) bike was an 800GS. Insurance was a hit, but I expected that first year.

Now, I prefer the bike to any other mode of transport. :D

• Advertisement

ok cheers lads, so i dont need to do ibt training because of my age is that it ???
    is it a matter of just getting a provisional license ?? sorry but completely new but thanks for help so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you have to do the ibt

get the provisional license, do ibt, get a bike & insurance and ride that for 6 months then take the full test

you can ride any bike you want as long as you can get insurance on it. the difference is when you're younger you have to be on a restricted bike.

but you still definitely need to do ibt

enjoy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ok cheers lads, so i dont need to do ibt training because of my age is that it ???
    is it a matter of just getting a provisional license ?? sorry but completely new but thanks for help so far

No you still need to do the IBT.

Basically it goes like this

1. Call up the NDLS, tell them you want to go for an A licence, they'll confirm if you need to re-do the Theory Test

2. Pass the Theory Test, go to an NDLS centre after you do so and apply for the licence. Total cost of this is about $70 or so, for both the test and licence.

3. When you receive the licence in the post, find someone near you who does the IBT. Generally costs about €400-€500 depending on where you live. They usually provide a bike, helmet, jacket etc.

They usually start you off on a smaller bike and increase it as you go. My advice is try each one to see what you find comfortable to drive.

When buying a bike, try not to go above 600cc as the insurance premiums jump up massively.

cheers lads, simplified for me. Thanks

Advertisement