Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's for women refusing to send amended quote details

• 16-06-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Hi. My partner recently took out insurance with the above named (never again). She paid a sum up front and the rest to be paid by direct debit. After she sent in all the documentation they requested they came back and said that actually the premium was increasing by 1,500e!

This is based on named driver experience versus own name experience and the no claims bonus. Now we were both there when we imputed the details and we checked at the time and we said named driver at the outset. They are saying that we actually were given a quote for someone with no claims bonus and in fact my partner has none so it's a 1500e increase. Now we can't prove it so are stuck a bit.

We have repeatedly asked for the amended quote to be sent out to us but they are refusing for 'security reasons'. This, to me, is highly suspicious behaviour. Why couldn't you send it to the policy holder?

Of course they want a 25% cancellation fee if we try and back out now.

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you within the "cooling off" period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Are you within the "cooling off" period?

Nope. Funnily only came to light after the 14 day period had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Nope. Funnily only came to light after the 14 day period had passed.

Surely they can't change the quote after the cooling off period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Colser wrote: »
    Surely they can't change the quote after the cooling off period?

They can if they have received a no claims cert that is at odds with what was inputted in the system.

OP have you done new quotes to do a comparison with the difference off no claims versus that of named driver? Just to see if it's possible you put the details in wrong? You should be able to request the information you submitted but it might be better to do this formally via registered letter so they know your serious

duffman13 wrote:
    OP have you done new quotes to do a comparison with the difference off no claims versus that of named driver? Just to see if it's possible you put the details in wrong? You should be able to request the information you submitted but it might be better to do this formally via registered letter so they know your serious

They refused to provide it. No dd mandate signed and sent in. They have the card details from an initial payment but am I right in saying they can't take anymore money? And if they did could I get it back from my bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    They refused to provide it. No dd mandate signed and sent in. They have the card details from an initial payment but am I right in saying they can't take anymore money? And if they did could I get it back from my bank?

The issue there is that you will have a cancelled policy, where they cancelled the insurance, not you. This can have a nasty impact on future premiums.

goz83 wrote:
    The issue there is that you will have a cancelled policy, where they cancelled the insurance, not you. This can have a nasty impact on future premiums.

Ya so I've been told! Thanks. They say we can cancel but for a fee. I've no intention of paying a fee but my partner will be cancelling before they cancel. And will do so in writing with proof of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Pepp1989 wrote:
    Ya so I've been told! Thanks. They say we can cancel but for a fee. I've no intention of paying a fee but my partner will be cancelling before they cancel. And will do so in writing with proof of service.

Risky strategy. I personally wouldn't chance it

Risky strategy. I personally wouldn't chance it

Not left with much choice really when they look for an extra 1500e that you don't have. Anyone is entitled to cancel a policy.

Advertisement