Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carabao Cup (League Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I really thought Pool would have taken the league cup seriously .It's far from the most prestigious thropy but it's one they had a realistic chance of winning.

Their second string should be well capable of beating Leicesters second string.Cant believe Klopp is there this long now without getting a decent squad together,first xi is fine but squad needs a major increase in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not a Liverpool fan lol. I never understand why people sign up to a forum to claim they don't support a team they clearly do. It's bizarre behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jayop wrote: »
    Not a Liverpool fan lol. I never understand why people sign up to a forum to claim they don't support a team they clearly do. It's bizarre behavior.

:pac::pac:I'm sure many in the Liverpool thread will strongly attest to the fact i don't support them.

I support AC Milan, and still incredibly bitter about a loss to a certain team in a little final 12 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brady scored a great free kick last night. No clue how to post tweets.

Had to double check this was the League Cup thread not a Liverpool superthread.

https://twitter.com/ev_bartlett/status/910265756813860864

I initially thought Ox had a good start to the game but this doesn't make for pretty viewing...

Maybe Wenger was right to sell him on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Klopp has won 3 trophies in 16 years, Liverpool 1 in 10 years.

Neither in a position to turn down any sort of trophy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Brady scored a great free kick last night. No clue how to post tweets.

Here's the goal, super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

M!Ck^ wrote: »

For forty million pounds.

Yes, he was absolutely right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea 2-0 up inside 20mins and looking comfortable.

Forest started well for the first 5mins but poor defending cost them on the 2 goals.

3-0 for Chelsea, Forest hit the bar a few minutes ago from a free kick but Musonda has killed the game with a well taken 3rd.

We've barely got out of 2nd gear and didnt need to in truth.

4th round draw for Chelsea should be all but certain at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Chelsea bringing on some Welsh kid born in 2000 and suddenly I feel very old.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    3-0 for Chelsea, Forest hit the bar a few minutes ago from a free kick but Musonda has killed the game with a well taken 3rd.

We've barely got out of 2nd gear and didnt need to in truth.

4th round draw for Chelsea should be all but certain at this stage.

Sounds exactly like the Utd match

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Chelsea bringing on some Welsh kid born in 2000 and suddenly I feel very old.

Ampadu .His dad grew up in Dublin and played U21 for us .Pity we couldn't get the son he's supposed to be a huge talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results
    Aston Villa 0 V 2 Middlesbrough
    Bournemouth 1 V 0 Brighton AET
    Brentford 1 V 3 Norwich City
    Bristol City 2 V 0 Stoke
    Burnley 2 V 2 Leeds Leeds win on pens 5-3
    Crystal Palace 1 V 0 Huddersfield Town
    Leicester City 2 V 0 Liverpool
    Reading 0 V 2 Swansea
    Tottenham 1 V 0 Barnsley
    West Ham 3 V 0 Bolton
    Wolves 1 V 0 Bristol Rovers
    Arsenal 1 V 0 Doncaster
    Chelsea 5 V 1 Nottingham Forest
    Everton 3 V 0 Sunderland
    Man United 4 V 1 Burton Albion
    West Brom 1 V 2 Manchester City

All the big teams through to the next round .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Results
    Aston Villa 0 V 2 Middlesbrough
    Bournemouth 1 V 0 Brighton AET
    Brentford 1 V 3 Norwich City
    Bristol City 2 V 0 Stoke
    Burnley 2 V 2 Leeds Leeds win on pens 5-3
    Crystal Palace 1 V 0 Huddersfield Town
    Leicester City 2 V 0 Liverpool
    Reading 0 V 2 Swansea
    Tottenham 1 V 0 Barnsley
    West Ham 3 V 0 Bolton
    Wolves 1 V 0 Bristol Rovers
    Arsenal 1 V 0 Doncaster
    Chelsea 5 V 1 Nottingham Forest
    Everton 3 V 0 Sunderland
    Man United 4 V 1 Burton Albion
    West Brom 1 V 2 Manchester City

No shock results

Loving the UTD fans getting their digs in I guess all missed the Championship team knocking out the Premier league team saying there were no shocks :pac:

Loving the UTD fans getting their digs in I guess all missed the Championship team knocking out the Premier league team saying there were no shocks :pac:

What United fans said there were no shocks ?

Spurs v West Ham
    Bristol City v Crystal Palace
    Swansea v Man Utd
    Arsenal v Norwich City
    Chelsea v Everton
    Man City v Wolves
    Leicester v Leeds United
    Bournemouth v Middlesbrough

• Advertisement

4th Round Draw
    Bristol City V Crystal Palace
    Tottenham V West Ham
    Arsenal V Norwich City
    Swansea V Man United
    Manchester City V Wolves
    Chelsea V Everton
    Bournemouth V Middlesbrough
    Leicester City V Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No real stand out match there.

Could be a very interesting quarter finals

Unearthly wrote: »
    No real stand out match there.

Could be a very interesting quarter finals

I am guessing the TV games should be Spurs V West Ham and Chelsea V Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ev_bartlett/status/910265756813860864

I initially thought Ox had a good start to the game but this doesn't make for pretty viewing...

He wouldn't get a game for burton

Weve a very good record at home against Everton, Id be hopeful of getting passed them at the Bridge.

Not the best draw but far from the worst. All the big sides kept apart which is unusual. Normally you got a big glamour fixture at this stage.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    What United fans said there were no shocks ?

no answer

standard

no answer

standard

No answer because i did not see the post sorry I put the draw up and it went to a new page.

Thanks for worrying about me.

I missed a full stop let me rephrase my post.

Loving UTD fans getting their digs in. I guess all missed the championship side beating the premier league team for no shock results.

All - everyone, i.e. Not Utd fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Weve a very good record at home against Everton, Id be hopeful of getting passed them at the Bridge.

It's going to be an annihilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For what it's worth: excellent counter attacking goal from City tonight to win the game at West Brom.

No answer because i did not see the post sorry I put the draw up and it went to a new page.

Thanks for worrying about me.

I missed a full stop let me rephrase my post.

Loving UTD fans getting their digs in. I guess all missed the championship side beating the premier league team for no shock results.

All - everyone, i.e. Not Utd fans

Aye.

icon14.png

• Advertisement

Stuart Pearse on the debate tonight said that the league cup should get a champions league spot. Not the FA cup. The Fecking league cup lol. That man is beyond a parody of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Pep and Mou both mentioning that the EFL cup will affect their chances later in the season.

Pep - "You waste a lot of energy, three days later Palace, then Shakhtar, then Chelsea. It is a lot of energy. We knew it before we came. If you have to play, you have to play. Business is business. It's good for people who don't get used a lot, but it's a title when if you win. It's okay but you don't get a lot of credit for it."

Mou - "If the competition is an official competition then it is important for Manchester United and for me as a manager. If you ask me could the English football survive or even be better without this competition? Maybe, maybe we would be fresher for European competition for example."

For clubs like united and city I disagree wholly with that. Surely the additional games with much less player is a good thing for managers to allow fringe players a game. We had maybe 2 or 3 first eleven players on this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

rwbug wrote: »
    Pep and Mou both mentioning that the EFL cup will affect their chances later in the season.

Pep - "You waste a lot of energy, three days later Palace, then Shakhtar, then Chelsea. It is a lot of energy. We knew it before we came. If you have to play, you have to play. Business is business. It's good for people who don't get used a lot, but it's a title when if you win. It's okay but you don't get a lot of credit for it."

Mou - "If the competition is an official competition then it is important for Manchester United and for me as a manager. If you ask me could the English football survive or even be better without this competition? Maybe, maybe we would be fresher for European competition for example."

Always handy to get those excuse in early. The League Cup is only a handful of extra games over the course of a season and you'd think these clubs with their big squads full of highly trained professional football players would be able to handle it.

I think The League Cup is great. I'd rather have football to watch on a Tuesday or a Wednesday than nothing at all. Maybe it is a bit of an inconvenience for the teams involved, but so what? They forget sometimes that public attention and interest is the only reason they exist in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Arghus wrote: »
    Always handy to get those excuse in early. The League Cup is only a handful of extra games over the course of a season and you'd think these clubs with their big squads full of highly trained professional football players would be able to handle it.

I think The League Cup is great. I'd rather have football to watch on a Tuesday or a Wednesday than nothing at all. Maybe it is a bit of an inconvenience for the teams involved, but so what? They forget sometimes that public attention and interest is the only reason they exist in the first place.

You might enjoy the League Cup but the public don't. Twenty three thousand at Spurs, Eleven thousand at Villa, United closing sections of the ground and still plenty of empty seats - and it is the same for every club. This cup isn't retaining fans interest. The fans can't really be blamed for their lack of interest, almost every club is fielding a weakened team, even the likes of Burton on their big day out to Old Trafford.

It isn't excuses, the extra games do matter. As Mourinho points out, if his team makes the final of the LC, then draws Bayern in the last 16 of the Champs League, his team will have played eight games more. That would be a big advantage to Bayern.

Last season we saw the effects too of the LC on United. They played a strong team every round, had to play lots of Europa League games too and their premiership form suffered. They were a John Guddetti miss away from a disaster of a season.

There's limited interest in the early rounds, but next round will see better crowds and after that it's full houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

rwbug wrote: »
    You might enjoy the League Cup but the public don't. Twenty three thousand at Spurs, Eleven thousand at Villa, United closing sections of the ground and still plenty of empty seats - and it is the same for every club. This cup isn't retaining fans interest. The fans can't really be blamed for their lack of interest, almost every club is fielding a weakened team, even the likes of Burton on their big day out to Old Trafford.

It isn't excuses, the extra games do matter. As Mourinho points out, if his team makes the final of the LC, then draws Bayern in the last 16 of the Champs League, his team will have played eight games more. That would be a big advantage to Bayern.

Last season we saw the effects too of the LC on United. They played a strong team every round, had to play lots of Europa League games too and their premiership form suffered. They were a John Guddetti miss away from a disaster of a season.

I don't get this attitude. As it is top 6 or 7 teams enter later in the league cup rather than from the start and this cup is a good chance to try different tactics, squad players and integrate young players to the team.

For example this season Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw, Carrick, Herrera, Lingard barely played so this game was a good chance to test them and for full match fitness.

If this cup is so hard for managers they can just field a very young team, get beat and done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Can see both sides of the argument.

But if you make the semi finals and then the finals and say make the CL QF, is causes havoc with your fixture list.

You basically have a completely full January schedule which isn't needed and then a game to be rescheduled in February/March too. A lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They should scrap the 2 leg semi final lark, play them in a neutral venue as a one off game.

The league cup should certainly remain. Bigger clubs should have enough squad depth. If managers don't want to risk top players just play fringe players.

Agree with scrapping the 2 leg semi final.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    They should scrap the 2 leg semi final lark, play them in a neutral venue as a one off game.

Ding ding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Would excluding teams who've qualified for Europe be detrimental to the competition? It would ensure a different team qualifies for Europe the following year, helping teams keep up with those who qualify every year.

Excluding the top teams would devalue it even more.

Tuesday Games
    Arsenal V Norwich City
    Bournemouth V Middlesbrough
    Bristol City V Crystal Palace
    Leicester City V Leeds United
    Swansea City V Manchester United - Live on Sky Sports Football / Main Event
    Manchester City V Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wednesday Games
    Chelsea V Everton
    Tottenham Hotspur V West Ham United - Live on Sky Sports Football / Main Event

Arghus wrote: »

Fully agree. Still sore about Leeds losing to ManU in the semi final in '91 with the team that won the title the following year, and losing the final in '96 to a Villa side that was far more up for it. But guess as the FA Cup itself, once the Blue Riband event in English football, has been devalued, the cup that was always a tier below will suffer even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

West Ham 2-0 down at halftime to Spurs are 2-3 up with ten minutes to go.

everton were unlucky against us too, Cabellero made about 4 quality saves at 1-0 to keep us in the game.

We dominated the first half, well, we were comfortable but the second half was all Everton.

We were lucky to get through it in the end, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bilic will be replaced in the next international break, he may well be fired somewhat sooner.

I completely misread what Agent Coulson posted! :o

Actually I might well be right anyway! :p

A win like this against Spurs could well give him a stay of execution.

• Advertisement

Yep, 1 of 2 for Bilic it seems
    He needs to win at the weekend too

Advertisement