Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carabao Cup (League Cup)

Comments

Not at all. I just think you're being biased. Saying we never agree on anything when literally it's just because I disagree with something about United.

Nobody can have a different opinion to a United supporter or they aren't considered "Neutral" or in this case "Bristol" fans.

I'm simply commenting on what I think the dive was.
    Blatantly jumping into a player with no contact forcing contact. Don't really give a sh1te who he plays for.

Same as you being biased then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

93rd minute winner...ya can’t beat knockout football.

93rd minute winner...ya can’t beat knockout football.

A great way for them to win it tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same as you being biased then

I think you need to look up the definition of bias. I'm not biased towards or against anything.

Literally just stating a fact that he dived.

Nothing going to come of it anyway so it's pointless continuing this conversation.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Yet somehow the English cup competitions & Europa League lose that % of excitement every year. The price of success for English Premier League team, Top 4 blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

On a different note. It's a shame United got knocked out.

Was hoping for a London Derby and Manchester Derby in the semi final for dramatic effect.

Anyone know how much money Bristol stand to make from getting to the Semis?

I think you need to look up the definition of bias. I'm not biased towards or against anything.

Literally just stating a fact that he dived.

Nothing going to come of it anyway so it's pointless continuing this conversation.

Enjoy.
    Yea ok sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I can't see how that can be called anything other than a dive. It is no different to Jesus in the derby in that it's not the worst dive ever and doesn't merit a ban or anything. But it's a dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As much as I hate Jose - and I do hate him - I think you've got to allow for managers being slightly emotional and one-eyed, particularly after a bad result. Most people on here don't look at results that go against their team with clear-eyed magnanimity directly, mere minutes, after they occur - and we're just watching. Imagine how it must feel to be directly involved.

As for the Pogba thing: it's a dive. Yes the defender sticks a leg out, but the only reason it makes a miniscule amount of contact, if any, is because Pogba's entire body is flying through the air, entirely self-propelled, trying desperately to touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Pogba's dive was a thing of beauty for someone of his physique, bravo sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On a different note. It's a shame United got knocked out.

Was hoping for a London Derby and Manchester Derby in the semi final for dramatic effect.

Anyone know how much money Bristol stand to make from getting to the Semis?

Not much, the winners only get about 100k, runners up get half that, the real money is made on TV rights, the Arsenal v Chelsea game is a better game but I reckon Sky will show City v Bristol for one leg and Arsenal v Chelsea for another leg.

The City game shoudl be over after the first leg so I'd make that the first game on TV and show the second leg of Arsenal v Chelsea which should still be all to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not much, the winners only get about 100k, runners up get half that, the real money is made on TV rights, the Arsenal v Chelsea game is a better game but I reckon Sky will show City v Bristol for one leg and Arsenal v Chelsea for another leg.

The City game shoudl be over after the first leg so I'd make that the first game on TV and show the second leg of Arsenal v Chelsea which should still be all to play for.

I think both legs of both games were shown live last year. Presume it's the same again this year. Tuesday & Wednesday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think both legs of both games were shown live last year. Presume it's the same again this year. Tuesday & Wednesday nights.

Yeah that’s usually the way when it gets to the semi finals as they would usually be picking 2 matches a week really but that’s all they have left

I forgot about that actually. :o :rolleyes:

I've just seen that Morata was booked for his goal celebration last night and will now miss Chelsea's match at Everton as it was his fifth booking of the season.

Now, I'm not a great lover of some of the choreographed celebrations we get to see after goals. I'd much rather see players genuinely excited or happy after scoring a goal rather than performing an act they must have rehearsed in advance of a game, but I just don't understand this booking for Morata at all.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42442618

Putting the ball under his jersey, sucking his thumb and making an "A" with his fingers to celebrate the fact that his wife is due a baby soon doesn't seem to be worthy of a booking at all, not to mention he is now forced to miss a game.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I've just seen that Morata was booked for his goal celebration last night and will now miss Chelsea's match at Everton as it was his fifth booking of the season.

Now, I'm not a great lover of some of the choreographed celebrations we get to see after goals. I'd much rather see players genuinely excited or happy after scoring a goal rather than performing an act they must have rehearsed in advance of a game, but I just don't understand this booking for Morata at all.

Putting the ball under his jersey, sucking his thumb and making an "A" with his fingers to celebrate the fact that his wife is due a baby soon doesn't seem to be worthy of a booking at all, not to mention he is now forced to miss a game.

Am I missing something?

Maybe the ref seen it as unsporting to be running away with the ball in injury time

Am I missing something?

I reckon Bournemouths celebrations were close to being as lengthy as Moratas.

As you say, it was a nod to his pregnant wife but MAson was having none of it and he was s**t all night.

Arter went in for a 50/50 with Drinkwater and it was a horrific attempt at making a tackle, it looked bad in real time and even worse slowed down.

I cant see us beating Everton without Morata either, Michy was terrible last night.

Maybe the ref seen it as unsporting to be running away with the ball in injury time

Yeah maybe so, but then again, he could have just added an extra minute to take account of the celebration, surely?

Didn't see the game or the highlights, so I can't really comment on the ref's performance, but most comments on here seem to say he was fairly rubbish all night long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

he got booked for kicking the ball away when bournemouth were trying to get it back to restart I thought ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bristol City lead Man City one nil at the break. They've done well that half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

monkey9 wrote: »
    Bristol City lead Man City one nil at the break. They've done well that half.

Problem with it is there's still 3 more halves. Potential for a giant killing is massively reduced.

Edit. Bristol city lad in the sky studio is wearing a turtleneck under his suit. I want them to lose now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Problem with it is there's still 3 more halves. Potential for a giant killing is massively reduced.

Edit. Bristol city lad in the sky studio is wearing a turtleneck under his suit. I want them to lose now. :)

Ah yeah, a one off game maybe. But two legs it won't happen. I've been impressed with Bristol City though. They're not just sitting back Mourinhoing it. They're having a go. Very entertaining game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This why there shouldn't be two legged semi finals, clearly gives the advantage to the strongest team.

Bristol were poor there, showing their naivety by all three defenders following the ball and leaving KDB free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Etihad isnt even full and its a semi final match.

How pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mangala and Stones are very average at the back.

mikeym wrote: »

How pathetic.

Supposedly they left it till today when they realised it hadn’t sold out and were ringing around schools trying to give out free tickets

Heartbreaking for Bristol.. didn’t deserve that

Aguero. Who else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

astradave wrote: »
    Heartbreaking for Bristol.. didn’t deserve that

a 1-0 home win sees them go through. It's not over yet. With this result there is more of a chance of a weakened team for the second leg.

• Advertisement

There's no away goals in the league cup I thought?

Anyway, City are like Real Madrid last year, they just kept winning when they looked down.

There's no away goals in the league cup I thought?

Ah balls

:o

Quazzie wrote: »
    a 1-0 home win sees them go through. It's not over yet. With this result there is more of a chance of a weakened team for the second leg.

AET though no? Thought the away goal only gets taken into account after the extra time

Ah balls

:o

I could be wrong but I think if it's all square on agg. it goes to ET and then penos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

There's a real air of inevitability about City's season.

They'll dominate English football for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I could be wrong but I think if it's all square on agg. it goes to ET and then penos.
    Apparently away goals count at the end of extra time. So a 1-0 win for Bristol City at 90 minutes leads to extra time. If it stays like that, that would see Bristol through. Didn't see the game tonight as I was out until about 20 minutes ago. But by all accounts, Bristol were well worth their draw.

blueser wrote: »
    Apparently away goals count at the end of extra time. So a 1-0 win for Bristol City at 90 minutes leads to extra time. If it stays like that, that would see Bristol through. Didn't see the game tonight as I was out until about 20 minutes ago. But by all accounts, Bristol were well worth their draw.

I was flicking back and forth and they played well in the periods I seen. Manager said theyed play without fear and it looked like they approached it that way.

Wasn't sure about the away goals, cheers for the clarification.

I can't see passed City not making the final though, yere far too good and have too much quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

mikeym wrote:
    How pathetic.

mikeym wrote:

You're forgetting city are still a working class club despite their riches. Their supporters cohort is working Class in the main, wouldn't have as many day trippers as Liverpool or united. An extra game even at £20 against a team they would be expected to dominate, just after Christmas and a busy fixture period isn't going to Sway those on the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bret Hart wrote: »
    There's a real air of inevitability about City's season.

They'll dominate English football for the foreseeable future.

Or at least as long as Pep is happy in his job. He's the perfect manager for them (or anyone really), but he seems to be someone who loves a new challenge, so wouldn't be too surprised to see him get restless after another 2 or 3 years.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Or at least as long as Pep is happy in his job. He's the perfect manager for them (or anyone really), but he seems to be someone who loves a new challenge, so wouldn't be too surprised to see him get restless after another 2 or 3 years.

I reckon if he wins a CL with City he'll probably up and leave the year after it and the way City are building, with a bit of luck, they're not far off doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Always brought up

Football league rules for League cup and play-offs on away goals
    Away goals count only after extra time at the end of the 2nd leg

UEFA & FIFA rules for away goals
    Away goals count after 90 mins of the 2nd leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I reckon if he wins a CL with City he'll probably up and leave the year after it and the way City are building, with a bit of luck, they're not far off doing that.

Where would he go tho,back to Barca is where I can see him going after City but if he is given free reign at City he could be there for a while,Did he not say he needs another 2 or 3 years to get to where he wants to be with the team.
    He could win the CL this year I just dont see him leaving next season then.

Always brought up

A bit unfair that in the Football league rules the team playing away in the second leg, gets a longer time frame to get the all important away goal

Where would he go tho,back to Barca is where I can see him going after City but if he is given free reign at City he could be there for a while,Did he not say he needs another 2 or 3 years to get to where he wants to be with the team.
    He could win the CL this year I just dont see him leaving next season then.

I'm just spitballing really, the allure of Barca will always be there for him I'd imagine and if he wanted to go back, theyre not going to say no to him.

He wont go back to Germany, I cant see him touching Italy, maybe PSG, would suit his style too.

Theres always been a train of thought that Pep suffers burnout from managing because of how he approaches the game.

I think modern managers are better in the short term, 3 year role, rather than staying for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

A bit unfair that in the Football league rules the team playing away in the second leg, gets a longer time frame to get the all important away goal

I guess it's to counteract the fact that the other team has home advantage for another 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I'm just spitballing really, the allure of Barca will always be there for him I'd imagine and if he wanted to go back, theyre not going to say no to him.

He wont go back to Germany, I cant see him touching Italy, maybe PSG, would suit his style too.

Theres always been a train of thought that Pep suffers burnout from managing because of how he approaches the game.

I think modern managers are better in the short term, 3 year role, rather than staying for a decade.

Milan would be a exciting challenge for Pep, i wanted to see him go there instead of City, i hope thats where he ends up

Always brought up

Kind of shít really. If for example Bristol City win 1-0 on the 90 minutes then City have an extra half hour to score a winner. Im not pointing out City per se but just using that prospect as an example. I think away goals should either count over 90 minutes or not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

irishman86 wrote: »
    Milan would be a exciting challenge for Pep, i wanted to see him go there instead of City, i hope thats where he ends up

Pep's challenges so far have consisted of him taking over the best side in their respective counties. Couldn't see him taking on something that big tbh.

If he was to go to Italy and rebuild AC Milan back to challengers/winners of the champions league, I would be hugely impressed. Although I'm sure Pep isn't too worried about impressing a random poster on an Irish message board. Still it would be a far more impressive achievement than anything he's currently doing, especially given the current level of AC Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

irishman86 wrote: »

They really need to get their **** together before anything like that could ever happen. They're a bit of a disaster at the moment, with that supposedly wonderful club-repairing buyout last summer actually turning out to be a bit of a heist.

<Edit> good read on all that Milan malarky in the NY Times here, if anyone's interested; https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/business/dealbook/china-soccer-acmilan-ownership.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pep's challenges so far have consisted of him taking over the best side in their respective counties. Couldn't see him taking on something that big tbh.

If he was to go to Italy and rebuild AC Milan back to challengers/winners of the champions league, I would be hugely impressed. Although I'm sure Pep isn't too worried about impressing a random poster on an Irish message board. Still it would be a far more impressive achievement than anything he's currently doing, especially given the current level of AC Milan.

If you get a chance, read up on his tribulations with Barca B. They were far from the best side in their country, nay division, and yet he got them promoted. It's an achievement that shouldn't be overlooked. He got the main job because that B squad, which contained mainly players that would never play in the premier league/bundesliga/liga/serie a were better run and drilled than many of the top tier sides in Spain included Barcelona's main team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement