Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short term letting

• 16-06-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Can someone answer, Google does not have the information Im looking for.

Having rented out my house for the last 14 years and dealt with every type of bad tenant imaginable, I am in two minds (when I get my current tenants out - they owe me 4 months rent).
    Do I leave the house empty (use it when Im in Dublin) or do short term rental.

As the regulations / system seems to be anti landlord (for the foreseeable future), I was considering short term rental.
    Eg., 3-6 months.

Do I need to register with RTB?

Do I require a BER?

If said tenant decides not to move out at end of 6 month period, can I (and 20 mates) just move back in?

Would I have to take a case to the District Court?

Assuming I re-let the property in 7 months, does the 4% rent restriction apply?

Do landlords include utilities in short term rentals?

Does any one have an opinion on short term rentals (under 6 months)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

aluminium wrote: »

Having rented out my house for the last 14 years and dealt with every type of bad tenant imaginable, I am in two minds (when I get my current tenants out - they owe me 4 months rent).

As the regulations / system seems to be anti landlord (for the foreseeable future), I was considering short term rental.
    Eg., 3-6 months.

Do I require a BER?

If said tenant decides not to move out at end of 6 month period, can I (and 20 mates) just move back in?

There is an exception in the act for holiday rentals, not short term.

If you think it meets that exception or another, it is excluded from RPZ and RTB act, if not, it needs planning permission for change of use.

Probably best to get onto your solicitor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Eg., 3-6 months.

Yes.
    Do I require a BER?
    Yes.
    No.
    No. It is the RTB
    Yes
    Some do, some don't.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Read my previous posts. Same situation as yourself. I sold one and the other one is let via an agent short term through airbnb.

No problems at all. In fact it looks like airbnb is going to make me at least double what the normal let would make even at market rate.

Airbnb isn't the only way to do short term but it sure is handy. Ask an agent what your options are. Above all though my aim was to stay out of regular letting where the RTB control your very expensive at and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

"Read my previous posts. Same situation as yourself. I sold one and the other one is let via an agent short term through airbnb.

No problems at all. In fact it looks like airbnb is going to make me at least double what the normal let would make even at market rate.

Airbnb isn't the only way to do short term but it sure is handy. Ask an agent what your options are. Above all though my aim was to stay out of regular letting where the RTB control your very expensive at and not you."

Thanks - its as I thought.

Ive just paid off the mortgage so other than a management charge and some basic utilities,
    Im thinking of holiday lets, or let my eldest take a room and rent the others on airbnb.

The house was bought along time ago as a "pension". But to have the restrictions of "overholding",
    "4% rent cap",

" biased / slow RTB",

"Having to make / pay expensive repairs to boiler (new) electric shower etc., that the tenant broke through abuse" and not be refunded by the tenant.

"RTB fees"

"BER fees"

"33% capital gains if I sell - then no pension",

"8 year write off on any purchases / upgrades",

"half of revenue going in tax"

"worrying WHEN a tenant is going to stop paying rent - "because I heard on the radio that you dont have to""

"neighbour's complaining that the tenants kids are hanging around the garden all day"

"two years to get a case settled with RTB, then the tenant still stays with no rent coming in, only for them to move the day before the sheriff arrives"

"PSA alarm installer to look at the alarm"

"RGI plumber to check the boiler"

"RECI sparks to check emmersion switch"

All of which I could / would do in my own home.
    THis is like "talk therapy", Ive just convinced myself what Im going to do.

Read my previous posts. Same situation as yourself. I sold one and the other one is let via an agent short term through airbnb.

Airbnb isn't the only way to do short term but it sure is handy. Ask an agent what your options are. Above all though my aim was to stay out of regular letting where the RTB control your very expensive at and not you.

No problems yet....read my first post here. Does it sound like you meet the exemption?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

davindub wrote: »

If you think it meets that exception or another, it is excluded from RPZ and RTB act, if not, it needs planning permission for change of use.

How is being excluded from RPZ/RTB connected to planning permission?

Graham wrote: »

How is being excluded from RPZ/RTB connected to planning permission?

Sorry that read the opposite.... if it is excluded due to holiday accommodation it needs planning permission (change of use)

No problems yet....read my first post here. Does it sound like you meet the exemption?

Oh I think I'll be fine.
    Far better off than regular letting .... By a long long way.

Pretty sure the op will be too.

Ah, you haven't been caught yet (or perhaps ever) so its safe for everyone else?

Ah, you haven't been caught yet (or perhaps ever) so its safe for everyone else?

What happens when you get caught. Assuming one is doing something to be caught for. Would it be worse than the tenant not paying rent for a couple of years or anything like that?

• Advertisement

What happens when you get caught. Assuming one is doing something to be caught for. Would it be worse than the tenant not paying rent for a couple of years or anything like that?

Its not an offense, I didn't mean caught as in that sense. But each tenant you will be collecting more rent than what would be held valid in event of a dispute. That would be your exposure for any tenant who wishes to pursue it.

Its not an offense, I didn't mean caught as in that sense. But each tenant you will be collecting more rent than what would be held valid in event of a dispute. That would be your exposure for any tenant who wishes to pursue it.

I think you are off on another one now tbh.
    Always warning about the boogeyman.
    I'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

I'm doing short term stays from now on. It's more hassle with the changing over of tenants but worth it for the peace of mind. There great comfort knowing if you have a headwrecker in your house that they will be going in x no of weeks!

I think you are off on another one now tbh.
    Always warning about the boogeyman.
    I'll be ok.

Suit yourself.

Suit yourself.

Of course.

He is using AirBnB, there can be no dispute its completely outside the remit of the RTB. He can be no more pursued by the RTB than a B&B or hotel can.

He is using AirBnB, there can be no dispute its completely outside the remit of the RTB. He can be no more pursued by the RTB than a B&B or hotel can.

It is not clear what he is doing. There seems to be a contract for a period of months with some agent. Until the terms of that contract are known, it can't be definitively said he is outside the remit of the RTB.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It is not clear what he is doing. There seems to be a contract for a period of months with some agent. Until the terms of that contract are known, it can't be definitively said he is outside the remit of the RTB.

My understanding is the agent is managing his airbnb business in the property looking after guests on arrival/leaving, arranging cleaning etc.

My understanding is the agent is managing his airbnb business in the property looking after guests on arrival/leaving, arranging cleaning etc.
    The terms of the contract with the agent are not known to anybody but the poster at this point. Until they are, if ever, it can't be said definitively what the situation is. There are all kinds of scenarios being floated here. Most seem to be propagandist.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The terms of the contract with the agent are not known to anybody but the poster at this point. Until they are, if ever, it can't be said definitively what the situation is. There are all kinds of scenarios being floated here. Most seem to be propagandist.

The contract with the agent is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

The contract with the agent is irrelevant.

You haven't seen it, don't know what it contains and yet make that statement? In some circumstances the contract could be highly relevant.

I dont see any of that posted. Just that the OP is going into short term rental.
    I don't see how airbnb is conclusive prove though, its a booking website.

Look, you can summarise where the issues will arise from into 2 outcomes:
    1. The tenant wants to take legal action
    2. The landlord wants to take legal action

I dont see any of that posted. Just that the OP is going into short term rental.
    I don't see how airbnb is conclusive prove though, its a booking website.

Look, you can summarise where the issues will arise from into 2 outcomes:
    1. The tenant wants to take legal action
    2. The landlord wants to take legal action

I was referring to the poster you are debating with. He clearly stated his property is let through Airbnb.

Yes it's a booking website for short term (i.e. A few days at a time) rentals. Short term rentals have nothing to do with the RTB, rent controls don't apply etc.

"Longer" short term rentals of less than 6 months done through daft etc would be under the remit of the RTB and would need to be registered etc however the people living there gain no part 4 rights (once they are given notice before they are there for 6 months. It's a more risky way to operate than Airbnb but of course changing tenant every 6 months is less work than possibly a few times a week but rent controls apply etc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

I think I have a couple of options............. before any one is judgemental - remember that the system is skewed against the landlord.
    You have to do what you have to do to survive - metaphorically speaking.

As I see it, the homeless don't have a problem, the Government, or rather the Government parties including Fianna Fail have a problem.

Varadkars problem is the rise of Popularism. Martins problem is Sein Fein and its ratings among the disenfranchised.

The private landlord is caught in the middle.

My eldest is doing a masters is Dublin. He commutes every day. To me it makes more sense for me and my wife to "separate". She take the box room and rent out the rest of the house - Monday to Friday and claim the max 14k rent. My eldest (or wife) would stay when needed or when wanted ( which would be once in a blue moon). Clean the house every Sat morning. Keep the bills in the wifes name. There's no mortgage - so no financial pressure.

If I took in students, I could do airbnb for the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The AirBnB stuff will be addressed in due course, but you can certainly utilise the option in the interim.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The AirBnB stuff will be addressed in due course, but you can certainly utilise the option in the interim.

No it won't.
    The only thing making landlords even consider holding on to properties at the moment is that they can do airbnb to get back some sort of control over their very expensive property.
    While holding it and letting it through airbnb it is still potentially going back on the rental market should the govt get their act together and treat landlords properly.
    The.mi Ute that option is gone all the apartments get sold and then it's free for all.

If you can buy you are quids in and if you can't, well you are homeless when your landlords sells up, because supply will tumble.even more.

No it won't.

Any source or are you guessing?

Graham wrote: »
    Any source or are you guessing?

Well I can't tell the future. Can you?
    Call it an educated guess on my part.
    That and the fact every landlord I know is planning on going down this route is a dead giveaway. Even reits are going short term only.
    Maybe if the govt allowed landlords stuck on low rents to increase them to market rates it might alleviate the exodus a bit, but unless they do something about getting rid of delinquent tenants very quickly, it won't do much at all.

One year from now my guess is that there will be far fewer apartments to rent than now. With landlords leaving the market and sitting tenants having an iron grip on the properties, there will be very little available if you want to move.

That and the fact every landlord I know is planning on going down this route is a dead giveaway. Even reits are going short term only.
    Maybe if the govt allowed landlords stuck on low rents to increase them to market rates it might alleviate the exodus a bit, but unless they do something about getting rid of delinquent tenants very quickly, it won't do much at all.

One year from now my guess is that there will be far fewer apartments to rent than now. With landlords leaving the market and sitting tenants having an iron grip on the properties, there will be very little available if you want to move.
    What about the fact that there are planning applications being processed for 1000's of apartments and there are cash heavy investors getting no interest on deposit who are actively hunting buy to lets. the Celtic tiger amateurs will be replaced by proper investors who won't take to social media moaning about the price of a deep clean.

• Advertisement

No, nor do I pretend to be able.

Odd logic. The actions of landlords probably isn't the best indicator of government/local authority/AirBnB policy or action.

Advertisement