Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relative, dead or alive.

Options
  • 16-06-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have an elderly Aunt who fell out with me some years back who lives in the back end of nowhere and would like to know is she alive still.

Tried the local papers but nothing, we were very close but for no reason she just turned on me, I think other family members were involved, where should I look to see if she is still alive.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try RIP.ie, if she died in the last 5 years it could be posted there, worth a quick check as you can put in the name and locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

septictank wrote:
    where should I look to see if she is still alive.

Her house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

septictank wrote: »
    where should I look to see if she is still alive?

Ask her? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

We fell out some years back and she is the other end of the country.

I have checked rip.ie and local papers but no result, I thought there might be a national site like ancestry or some where that deaths would be recorded.

Her house is derelict and she hasn't a mobile, would be in her late 80's, there could be will issues from other family members, I don't want anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Was thinking that, might be the best shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RIP in my area goes back to 2007.
    Try googling her name and local radio stations as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If it's a rural area as you describe, by far the best bet is to call the parish office, or the parish priest directly. Additionally, the local Co. Council will have a graveyard registry (in a rural area that will often be a handwritten ledger) listing all burial plots sold in the local graveyard(s), who is buried there and the date of their death. Between those two options, you should have a pretty conclusive answer, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ring up the local post office.
    say you found a picture of some of her family and want to see if she could help identify someone. say you lost her address and could they help. they will know where she is or if she is alive or dead

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I'm assuming you're in the Republic, so try ringing the General Register Office in Roscommon to ask if they have any death record for her.  I've dealt with them several times and they're very helpful.
    [font=Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Verdana]Tel:[/font][font=Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Verdana]+353 90 663 2900 [/font]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

septictank wrote: »
    Hi
    I have an elderly Aunt who fell out with me some years back who lives in the back end of nowhere and would like to know is she alive still.

Tried the local papers but nothing, we were very close but for no reason she just turned on me, I think other family members were involved, where should I look to see if she is still alive.

Any help much appreciated.

Are you looking to claim against her estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

ring up the local post office.
    say you found a picture of some of her family and want to see if she could help identify someone. say you lost her address and could they help. they will know where she is or if she is alive or dead

They won't give that information, not even the Gardaí will give that information either!

Are you looking to claim against her estate?

Absolutely not, no interest in that. I found out that she's in a nursing home. I rang the local Church and they knew her well. Thank's everyone.

Advertisement