Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How likely is identity fraud for a loan?

• 16-06-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

I was refused a car loan in the credit union today, even with a guarantor.
    It's been annoying me all day as I never missed a single payment on any loan i had with them, they were also the only lender i had within the last 5 years and more.
    So I rang back about appealing it and she asked have I been onto the icb credit report yet and i said no, she said i think you should have a look and I said,sure the only loans i had were with the credit union,
    She then raised her voice a bit and said well then you definitely need to go check it so.

So now I'm sitting here freaked out, is it that likely someone has managed to get a loan out in my name?
    My bank account which iv had for a long long time now hasn't got credit facility's on it so it's not my bank. The credit union and bank are all I deal with, no one else so I was shocked to be refused and now I'm in even more shock over what she said and the way she said it.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It could be more likely that an incorrect report was made to the ICB. Get a copy of your ICB report as your first port of call and see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Toots wrote: »
    It could be more likely that an incorrect report was made to the ICB. Get a copy of your ICB report as your first port of call and see what it says.

I have one ordered already, would that be, say another bank or somthing along those lines may have sent some incorrect information about me?

It's not the credit unions mistake because she told me I'd definitely better check it when i said i only ever had two credit union loans,each within 5 years, with one being a 4 year car loan which I recently finished last month.
    Them knowing and not being able to tell me anything is so frustrating, it's going to be a long week until I get to see what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In another thread it was mentioned that the ICB only furnish you with an exact match for your details but the financial institutions get close matches too. Potentially same name + similar area throwing them off?

ED E wrote: »
    In another thread it was mentioned that the ICB only furnish you with an exact match for your details but the financial institutions get close matches too. Potentially same name + similar area throwing them off?

I searched my name on Facebook and found a guy with the same name living in the dublin 1 area, where as I'm in Dublin 3, but he has a different date of birth. Could it be a mix up some how like that maybe?
    So say if i get my report and it's all clear as it should be, the credit union could be seeing his also as it's the same name as mine.
    I really can't get my head around what it could be other then that or somthing similar.

ED E wrote: »

That could have been it. I had a call from the car dealer today and I told them I was refused with the credit union for a loan and what the reason was for the refusal, so they tried and I was excepted, even with no guarantor which I had in the credit union.
    I think the credit union got somthing wrong some where as I knew my self the only loan i had off anyone was with them despite them telling me otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement