Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red robin wanted

Options
  • 16-06-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    First time posting in the garden section so hope I'm not doing anything wrong. I looking for a little help and recommendations. Does anybody know where I could get my hands on about 310 red robin plants. My local nurseries are quoting me at the €5.50 to €7.00 mark for 3L potted red robin (about 2ft tall) but I'm sure I have seen them for better prices somewhere. I'm based in Meath so if anyone knows where I could get good plants at a better price it would be greatly appreciated. I can travel for a good price
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly is this about the worst time to plant them, yes potted hedge can be planted any time but with long warm days you'll be murdered watering and miss a bit and plants die quickly.

I'd wait until early autumn, when the burden on the plants will be so much less and damper ground will minimise watering.
    FutureForests in cork are usually good for hedgin and trees.
    www.futureforests.net

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You get what you pay for...the done deal plants are 2' high ok, but they do not appear to have been stopped/pinched out to make them produce side shoots. The €2 ones are only 40cm.

On the other hand Photinia are vigorous and provided you cut them back to make them bushy they will probably be ok. As Brian said though they will need a lot of minding and watering if you plant them now, you could easily lose a good few. Better to wait till autumn.

Photinia are not usually the cheapest, 5.50 could well be a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hijacker here! I planted privet in April. Doing really well but definitely needs to be pruned back. Its tall but skinny. I want to encourage it to thin out. When would ye suggest pruning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Ebr sniper

heldel00 wrote: »
    Hijacker here! I planted privet in April. Doing really well but definitely needs to be pruned back. Its tall but skinny. I want to encourage it to thin out. When would ye suggest pruning?

Sorry but could you start your own thread please so my thread doesn't go off topic. Thanks

• Advertisement

Ok waiting until autumn would be fine with me as I'm not in a massive rush to get them planted. With planting them later would they be damaged by any early frost that could happen?

Well i could have given you a world of advice seeing as i planted 600 bare root plants and they are thriving but for your rudeness i won't bother.

Well i could have given you a world of advice seeing as i planted 600 bare root plants and they are thriving but for your rudeness i won't bother.

Sorry but I wasn't rude in any way you were the one "hijacking" someone else's thread taking it off their topic onto your own one which was rude!!!

Ah will you lighten up. Boards has gotten very serious of late. And FYI you are very close to derailing your own thread here but I'll get it back on track for you.

We bought our bareroot hedging from Adrian in hedging.ie. Free delivery to the door. Very efficent service.

We killed off the grass two weeks before planting. Plants came in very good condition. We kept the roots very moist but not soaked and planted over the next two days. We immersed the roots in a wheelbarrow of water for an hour before planting to give them a good wetting. The key is not to let them dry out.
    Dug a trench, not too deep or you'll suffocate roots and we planted in a zigzag pattern. Spread bark mulch around the base and then prayed for rain. It never came. Dryest April in years. Good chance that you will avoid frost if planting that late in the bareroot season but looking back, slightly earlier might have been better.
    Spent an hour and half every evening watering but well worth it now when i see how well they are doing. Bare root all the way here!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Ah will you lighten up. Boards has gotten very serious of late. And FYI you are very close to derailing your own thread here but I'll get it back on track for you.

We bought our bareroot hedging from Adrian in hedging.ie. Free delivery to the door. Very efficent service.

We killed off the grass two weeks before planting. Plants came in very good condition. We kept the roots very moist but not soaked and planted over the next two days. We immersed the roots in a wheelbarrow of water for an hour before planting to give them a good wetting. The key is not to let them dry out.
    Dug a trench, not too deep or you'll suffocate roots and we planted in a zigzag pattern. Spread bark mulch around the base and then prayed for rain. It never came. Dryest April in years. Good chance that you will avoid frost if planting that late in the bareroot season but looking back, slightly earlier might have been better.
    Spent an hour and half every evening watering but well worth it now when i see how well they are doing. Bare root all the way here!

Any pictures of them now,interested in seeing how the zig zag planting works out

• Advertisement

Ebr sniper wrote: »
    Ok waiting until autumn would be fine with me as I'm not in a massive rush to get them planted. With planting them later would they be damaged by any early frost that could happen?

It's a balancing act to choose the exact right time, late August early September would see them in and plenty of time to settle before any serious frosts arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think Adrian recommended October / November for planting hedging. August seems very early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Be advised red robin will grow,and grow and grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Be advised red robin will grow,and grow and grow!

It can also get badly damaged by cold winds

Lumen wrote: »
    I think Adrian recommended October / November for planting hedging. August seems very early.

Probably location specific, were in Cavan above 650ft, so October would be well into frosty weather here.
    The idea is to get them in while there is some warmth but also moisture in the soil, so they are settled before heavy might frosts.

Advertisement