Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dick Warner - Broadcaster & Environmentalist (RIP)

• 16-06-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

00050ed8-800.jpg
    The death has taken place of the award-winning broadcaster and environmentalist Dick Warner.

During a career on TV and radio that spanned more than 40 years, Mr Warner was best known for his waterways television documentaries.

It is understood he passed away this morning after taking ill while on a boat trip on the river Shannon near Ballinasloe, Co Galway.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0616/883377-dick-warner-death/

I'm so very sad to hear of the passing of Dick Warner, he was a wonderful broadcaster. I adored his programmes because of his passion for the environment and his great love of the Irish Countryside and Waterways. I'll be re-watching his excellent 'Waterways' series this weekend. RIP Dick xx

Comments

RIP Dick Warner. He used present one of the very few good productions RTE ever did. Hopefully his shows will get a full re airing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterways was a bucolic joy - back then RTE had a sort of holy trinity of natural calm, Warner, Eamon de Buitlear and Gerrit van Gelderen. All gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Waterways was a bucolic joy - back then RTE had a sort of holy trinity of natural calm, Warner, Eamon de Buitlear and Gerrit van Gelderen. All gone.
    My mother bought us Gordon D'arcy's book - A Guide To The Birds Of Ireland, it was our little bible as kids. I've great memories of watching Eamon & Gerrit's programmes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Very sad day. Loved his doc's. A huge loss. Could listen to him reading the phone book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Feel very bummed out about this. He was a real fixture on Irish TV when I was growing up. Rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very sad. Always such warmth about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

A real loss.....he made a TV show that sounds as boring as hell - boating down the royal canal - into something that soothed the soul and took the Sunday night fear away. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see Be3 are reshowing the TV3 series "Our Island" which Dick Warner presented, first episode is Sunday at 8pm.
    In a new four part factual series, ?Our Island?, will explore Ireland?s maritime heritage, looking at those who have shaped the island?s coastline and been shaped by. ?Our Island? looks at Ireland?s shoreline, its people, industries, history and wildlife.

Presented by Dick Warner, each of the films deals with one province and one season. Putting 7,500 kilometres of coastline into four films produces an informative and aesthetic series that explores fascinating human stories through a mixture of expert commentary, storytelling and unique photography.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/featureinterviews/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4287607&tpl=archnews&force=1

Advertisement