Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best player from each country to play England

• 16-06-2017 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

Was going to limit this to the Premier League era for two reasons, 1) The mass influx of players from other countries to England only happened properly in the premier league era and 2) A lot of people here wouldn't remember a lot of players too far beyond say the 80's anyway. However it wouldn't be really fair on some of the best Irish and Scottish players from the 60's to the 80's if we didn't include them.

As of late 2016 there was 96 different nationalities who had scored in the premier league. I'd like to discuss who was the best player to feature in England from each of those nations. A lot of the smaller ones may only have had 1/2 players so should be easy to decide. The best players from a lot of European Countries would be much harder to settle.

No real order to do it in,

There's one I think doesn't warrant discussion, Portugal so I'll just say it's done. Feel free to add other contenders, and if one has been decided upon feel free to list another nationality.

Edit : I'm just asking about their performances while playing in England, not their career as a whole or international.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

1 - Portugal

Candidates - Ronaldo, Deco, Nani, Carvalho,

Can only be one winner in this one imo, it just has to be Ronaldo. I loved watching Deco play when he came to Chelsea although his form soon left him and Nani on his day was breathtaking, that day just wasn't often enough. Carvalho was nails and was imo the better of the pairing between him and Terry.

Winner has to be Ronaldo though.

2 - Brazil

Candidates - Coutinho, Juninho, Oscar, Jesus, Ramires, Silva

For me it's a race between Coutinho and Juninho for this one with Coutinho probably just edging it at this stage. Juninho was unbelievable and such a mad signing in an era of mad Boro signings. Jesus is only there a few months and I had to include him because he's already shown he has amazing talent. In a few years he might be considered the best. Oscar was brilliant for a while but his star faded too quickly. Ramires and Silva were both great but you can't really pick a defensively minded Brazilian, can you?

Discuss...

3 - Ireland

Candidates - Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Liam Brady, Giles, McGrath, Given, Carey, Houghton, Duff, Whelan, O'Leary

I think that's enough candidates. For me I didn't see enough of a lot of them and can barely remember the 80's so I'm going to go with someone from the latest era although I believe that Brady was said to be the best ever Irish player in England. I'll go with Roy. He was astoundingly good for United and deserves the accolade. That said it's an open one for discussion. Remember though, it's just what they did playing for English clubs.

Jayop wrote: »
    2 - Brazil

For me it's a race between Coutinho and Juninho for this one with Coutinho probably just edging it at this stage. Juninho was unbelievable and such a mad signing in an era of mad Boro signings. Jesus is only there a few months and I had to include him because he's already shown he has amazing talent. In a few years he might be considered the best. Oscar was brilliant for a while but his star faded too quickly. Ramires and Silva were both great but you can't really pick a defensively minded Brazilian, can you?

Discuss...

Branco played in a few World Cups, winning 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is this based on that players performance during their period in England, or their entire career irrespective of how well they did in England? For instance Mario Jardel having a great career all round, but a really disappointing spell in England.

I presume the former, but just double checking..

Branco played in a few World Cups, winning 1.

He played what, one season in England and was fat? I'm only really talking about what they did while at English clubs.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is this based on that players performance during their period in England, or their entire career irrespective of how well they did in England? For instance Mario Jardel having a great career all round, but a really disappointing spell in England.

I presume the former, but just double checking..

Yeah you're right, the former. I should have clarifies that in OP.

2 - Brazil

Discuss...

Objectively I think Coutinho might be the better player, but I'd have to give it to Juninho - massive impact on the league over multiple spells. Was a complete breath of fresh air in what he brought, to what was quite a stodgy, physically pragmatic league. He and a few others arriving around the same time felt like a whole new era was being ushered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

For goodness sake, the answer to the Brazil question is Gilberto Silva and it's not even close. You guys have very, very short memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Italy: Zola.

For goodness sake, the answer to the Brazil question is Gilberto Silva and it's not even close. You guys have very, very short memories.

How does memory come into it? It's not like he was forgotten... and the chap i'm choosing came to England 7 years before him. For there on, it just looks like a difference of opinion... I mean, I completely agree that Silva was great. He allowed a brilliant team to do their best work in front of him. I'd admit i'm probably blinkered towards preferring attacking players though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

France: Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Netherlands

Arjen Robben,
    Robin van Persie
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Ruud Gullit
    Marc Overmars
    Jaap Stam
    Edwin Van Der Sar

A few others might have crept in but the list is long enough as it is! Has to be Bergkamp for me, the cunning and the brilliant combined at his best.

Netherlands

Arjen Robben,
    Robin van Persie
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Ruud Gullit
    Marc Overmars
    Jaap Stam
    Edwin Van Der Sar

A few others might have crept in but the list is long enough as it is! Has to be Bergkamp for me, the cunning and the brilliant combined at his best.

Cheers for using the format. That's possibly the best bunch from one country but that's another argument. I'd have added VanNistelroy (sp?) in the mixer as well but it would be down to Bergkamp and VanPersie for me.

Has to be Bergkamp though. Glorious player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah yes Horseface should have been in there. :pac:

I'd do Spain but it would just be a list of Liverpool players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

France: Thierry Henry

Argentina: Sergio Aguero

Czech Republic: Petr Cech

Croatia: Luka Modric

Denmark: Peter Schmeichel

Germany: Dietmar Hamann

Netherlands: Dennis Bergkamp

Spain: Very tough but I'll go with David Silva

Ah yes Horseface should have been in there. :pac:

I'd do Spain but it would just be a list of Liverpool players

And none would be the best. :D

Ah lads. If you're going to nominate someone give the other contenders. Like for me I'd have Cantona head and shoulders for France.

Ah lads. If you're going to nominate someone give the other contenders. Like for me I'd have Cantona head and shoulders for France.
    Lol, loved Cantona but it's not even close. Thierry Henry is far and away the best Premier league player to ever come out on France. Second would be his former teammate Patrick Viera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Cantona better than Henry?? Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was only gonna type one nomination.

Holland - Bergkamp.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lol, loved Cantona but it's not even close. Thierry Henry is far and away the best Premier league player to ever come out on France. Second would be his former teammate Patrick Viera.

Even going a step further, Thierry Henry is the best premier league player full stop imo. Some other greats in there as well of course, Ronaldo, Suarez, Shearer etc, but Henry did it for a long time, and did it with incredible style and panache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Germany: Dietmar Hamann

I'd make far batter cases for Klinsmann, Ballack or Jens Lehmann.

I'd make far batter cases for Klinsmann, Ballack or Jens Lehmann.
    Well Ballack was in my thoughts but he only had one really good year in England imo.

Lehmann not a chance although he was a decent keeper.

Klinsmann had a great season with Spurs but he only played one and a half seasons in the Premier league so I couldn't put him ahead of man who was consistently top level for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Spain just has to be Torres. He was absolutely brilliant at Liverpool, an amazing goals record and scored every type of goal. The guy was just electric, his mixture of pace, power and skill along with his lethal finishing made him virtually unstoppable. Loved watching him.

Wasn't the same player at Chelsea but didn't go terribly badly either and won a hatful of trophies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Henry from France with every other contender a country mile behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Best Burundian: Gael Bigirimana.

Incidentally, his only international game was voided due the fielding of an illegible player. Him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

South Korea: Park Ji sung, Lee Pyong pyo,

Nigeria: Jay Jay okocha, kanu, Jon obi

Liberian: George Weah jnr

Ukraine: rebrov, shevchenko

Peru :nobby.. Pizarro

Latvian : Marian pharas

Algeria: Benarbia

Denmark :Graveson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Sweden....ibra

Australian.....cahill

Heres a tough one.......Scotland????

Duncan Ferguson I suppose?? Talent has really dried up for them over the past 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If it's based on overall performances and titles won over the course of their career in the PL then surely Fabregas is the best Spaniard.

France would of course be Henry by a distance.

• Advertisement

Well Ballack was in my thoughts but he only had one really good year in England imo.

Lehmann not a chance although he was a decent keeper.

Klinsmann had a great season with Spurs but he only played one and a half seasons in the Premier league so I couldn't put him ahead of man who was consistently top level for a long time.

I'm with ya on Didi - won pretty much everything there is to win in the club game except for the league title, and was a key player in those few seasons they came close.

Spain is a tough one... Torres, Silva, Xabi Alonso, Fabregas... If Torres had left England at the time he went to Chelsea, he'd have it for me, but those few bad years in blue detract from his impact in England somewhat. Toss up for me between Alonso and Silva... Silva maybe just shading it for being a key man year on year. Alonso had one really poor year in 07/08 that we all forget about a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Riyad Mahrez and Peter Schmeichel?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Belgium : Hazard or Kompany? Kompany probably shades it at this moment IMO. If Hazard will probably overtake him in a few years if he stays at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Italy: Zola.

Yep. Poor selection from such a footballing nation.

Di Canio, Carbone, Di Matteo. Ravenelli was great but short lived.
    A dearth of defenders for a country know for defending.

tastyt wrote: »
    Sweden....ibra

Australian.....cahill

Heres a tough one.......Scotland????

Duncan Ferguson I suppose?? Talent has really dried up for them over the past 20 years

Ah here lol. In the premier league era the best Scottish player is Darren Fletcher by a country mile. But we're not doing PL so you'd have the likes of Law and Dalglish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

South Korea: Park Ji sung, Lee Pyong pyo,

Nigeria: Jay Jay okocha, kanu, Jon obi

Liberian: George Weah jnr

Ukraine: rebrov, shevchenko

Peru :nobby.. Pizarro

Latvian : Marian pharas

:eek:

Costa Rica...Wanchope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Czech Republic

Patrick Berger, Peter Cech, and Thomas Rosiciky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Japan - Junichi Inamoto, Hidetoshi Nakata, Maya Yoshida, Shinji Kagawa, Shinji Okazaki

South Korea - Lee Young Pyo, Park Ji Sung, Lee Dong Gook, Seol Ki Hyeon, Son Hyeung Min

South Africa - Quinton Fortune, Shaun Bartley, Benni McCarthy, Lucas Radebe, Aaron Mokoene

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Danny Higginbotham - Gibralter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Australia has to be Harry Kewell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Andriy Shevchenko Ukraine

Didier Drogba Ivory coast

• Advertisement

Australia has to be Harry Kewell

Kevin Muscat says @!?!£€®©✓[]
    (Always was a bit of a fool though, poor aul Kevin)

Tim Cahill
    Mark Viduka
    Hell even Mark Schwarzer can all say "hello".

Norway - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, John Arne Rise, Tore Andre Flo, Henning Berg, John Carew, Brede Hangeland, Morten Gamst Pedersen

Finland - Jari Litmanen, Sam Hyypia, Mikael Forssell

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Mkhtiryan - Armenia

Kinkladze/Ketsbia - Georgia

Tugay - Turkey

Berbatov - Bulgaria

Petrescu - Romania

Dzeko - Bosnia

Vidic - Serbia

Jovetic - Montenegro

Hleb- Belarus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Eusebio...Ive no idea what the question was..Not Portugal?....Messi then...Is there an answer to this question?

Langdon Donovan USA
    Tim Howard a close second
    Tim Howard a close third
    (Get it?!)

Morocco - Mustapha Hadji, Youssef Chippo, Hassan Kachloul, Nordin Amrabat, Sofiane Boufal, Nabil El Zhar, Youssef Safri, Marouane Chamakh, Adel Taarabt

Hadji was a touch of class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There was a good australian keeper too.
    Can't think of his name, played for Villa, and united I think.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Morocco - Mustapha Hadji, Youssef Chippo, Hassan Kachloul, Nordin Amrabat, Sofiane Boufal, Nabil El Zhar, Youssef Safri, Marouane Chamakh, Adel Taarabt

Hadji was a touch of class

NO...JUST NO

There was a good australian keeper too.
    Can't think of his name, played for Villa, and united I think.

Coke head Mark Bosnich...great goalkeeper all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Bosnich?

• Advertisement
Advertisement