Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best player from each country to play England

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Canada : T. Radzinzki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Swedan: Freddie ljungberg

New Zealand : Ryan Nelson...

Congo: lomona lua lua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Portugal - Ronaldo

France - Henry

Holland - Van Nistelrooy

Spain - De Gea

Brazil - Gilberto Silva

Ireland - Roy Keane

Wales - Giggs

Belgium - Hazard

Germany - Ozil

Italy - Zola

Sweden - Zlatan

Denmark - Schmeichel

Nigeria - Jay Jay Okocha

Uruguay - Suarez

Argentina - Agureo

tastyt wrote: »
    Duncan Ferguson I suppose?? Talent has really dried up for them over the past 20 years

I was a bit puzzled by the suggestion of Coutinho as the best ever from Brazil to play in England, smiled at Cantona from France, but the thought of midtable scrapper Ferguson being better than Dalglish, Bremner, Lorimer, Law, Souness, Hansen and on and on and on, with their trophy cabinets groaning and their place in football history secured. Duncan Ferguson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I was a bit puzzled by the suggestion of Coutinho as the best ever from Brazil to play in England, smiled at Cantona from France, but the thought of midtable scrapper Ferguson being better than Dalglish, Bremner, Lorimer, Law, Souness, Hansen and on and on and on, with their trophy cabinets groaning and their place in football history secured. Duncan Ferguson?

He was likely thinking of the Premier League era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He was likely thinking of the Premier League era.

Still not Big Dunc though.

Also why would you be puzzled by Coutinho Conor? It's hardly outlandish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

ANDREI KANCHELSKIS - Russia

PETER NDLOVU - Zimbabwe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It's amazing how few really top players from the other great football nations have actually played in England, especially given the money involved since the start of the PL. And the standard seems to be getting worse, not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sin City wrote: »
    ANDREI KANCHELSKIS - Russia, CIS & Soviet Union

FYP, and just the one I was going to put up :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's amazing how few really top players from the other great football nations have actually played in England, especially given the money involved since the start of the PL. And the standard seems to be getting worse, not better.

What? Kneel before Zlatan!

At the moment the PL is home to Aguero, Sanchez, Pogba (cough), Costa, Hazard, Jesus and just had the aforementioned Zlatan. Are you not entertained?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Jayop wrote: »
    Still not Big Dunc though.

Also why would you be puzzled by Coutinho Conor? It's hardly outlandish.

Gilberto Silva was mentioned who Id have over Coutinho but Im struggling to think of a lot ahead of Coutinho so agree with you its not crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mexico - Javier Hernandez (runners up Carlos Vela, dos Santos)

Little pea wins this for me. Scored some really important goals and a great personality in the game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Iceland - Sigurdsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liberian: George Weah jnr

Christophe Wreh
    Australia has to be Harry Kewell

Tim Cahill surely?

Kewell at leeds was outstanding. Cahill did it for much longer at a lower level imo. Tough call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Apologies, I thought we were talking premier league era, obviously nowhere near it if wer talking all time

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    How does memory come into it? It's not like he was forgotten... and the chap i'm choosing came to England 7 years before him. For there on, it just looks like a difference of opinion... I mean, I completely agree that Silva was great. He allowed a brilliant team to do their best work in front of him. I'd admit i'm probably blinkered towards preferring attacking players though.

Your blindness shouldn't matter. He was clearly the best Brazilian player to grace England in terms of what he achieved and how well he performed. He was absolutely pivotal to Arsenals success and it's clear you don't remember how good he actually was if you are suggesting of the others listed were close to him.

Your blindness shouldn't matter. He was clearly the best Brazilian player to grace England in terms of what he achieved and how well he performed. He was absolutely pivotal to Arsenals success and it's clear you don't remember how good he actually was if you are suggesting of the others listed were close to him.

He was brilliant and but some people will always favour attacking flare players. That doesn't mean there's a blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

He was brilliant and but some people will always favour attacking flare players. That doesn't mean there's a blindness.

Just because you prefer attacking players doesn't mean they were better:rolleyes: That's your issue if you are afflicted with a ridiculous bias and yes it is a form of blindness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well Ballack was in my thoughts but he only had one really good year in England imo.

Lehmann not a chance although he was a decent keeper.

Klinsmann had a great season with Spurs but he only played one and a half seasons in the Premier league so I couldn't put him ahead of man who was consistently top level for a long time.

Hamman might have done a grand job as a solid player for Liverpool but he never reached the heights of the others. But do me a favour before I continue, with an open mind go and actually look at what Jens Lehmann achieved during his time at Arsenal, take a real good look at his career and then ask if he was just a decent keeper.
    Ah here lol. In the premier league era the best Scottish player is Darren Fletcher by a country mile. But we're not doing PL so you'd have the likes of Law and Dalglish

I'd put Colin Hendry ahead of Fletcher in quite a few metrics.
    Panthro wrote: »
    Langdon Donovan USA
    Tim Howard a close second
    Tim Howard a close third
    (Get it?!)

Did you mean Brad Friedel?
    There was a good australian keeper too.
    Can't think of his name, played for Villa, and united I think.

Schwarzer was a better Australian keeper than Bosnich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Speaking of Germans, no mention of a 3 time PL champion..... Robert Huth.

Most appearances by a German as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Benjani must be the best Zimbabwean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

pjohnson wrote: »
    Benjani must be the best Zimbabwean

He's no Peter Ndlovu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sonic85 wrote: »
    Norway - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, John Arne Rise, Tore Andre Flo, Henning Berg, John Carew, Brede Hangeland, Morten Gamst Pedersen
    l

Solskjaer might have won the more trophies but Pedersen was the best player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Canada : T. Radzinzki

Owen Hargreaves! ;)

PETER NDLOVU - Zimbabwe

Bruce Grobelaar!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Luap wrote: »
    Iceland - Sigurdsson

Eidur Gudjohnsen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thinking of a country not mentioned

Israel - Benayoun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Peru has to be Nolberto Solano, very much first name on team sheet when fit.
    Very consistent over many many seasons

Hamman might have done a grand job as a solid player for Liverpool but he never reached the heights of the others. But do me a favour before I continue, with an open mind go and actually look at what Jens Lehmann achieved during his time at Arsenal, take a real good look at his career and then ask if he was just a decent keeper.

I'd put Colin Hendry ahead of Fletcher in quite a few metrics.

Did you mean Brad Friedel?

Schwarzer was a better Australian keeper than Bosnich.

Keller was a better American keeper than Friedel

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Thinking of a country not mentioned

Israel - Benayoun

And Eyal Berkovic

Just because you prefer attacking players doesn't mean they were better:rolleyes: That's your issue if you are afflicted with a ridiculous bias and yes it is a form of blindness.

Jesus man it's supposed to be a bit of craic. Really no need for the aggressive posts. It's about opinions and whether you like it or not my bias is always going to be towards attacking players to the point where I'm picking a bloody Liverpool player ahead of others who would be in the mixer.

Berbatov - Bulgaria

Szczesny - Poland

Zoltan Gera - Hungary

Bruce Grobelaar!

Hes good
    but hes no Ndlovu :D

What other Poles would there be? A few goalkeepers or PiGs.

BTW here's a handy wiki page for cheats like me who struggle to remember players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players?wprov=sfla1

What other Poles would there be? A few goalkeepers or PiGs.

BTW here's a handy wiki page for cheats like me who struggle to remember players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players?wprov=sfla1

Wasilewski and Kaputska from Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Zlatan has certainly been the better player and had the better career but his one season at United can't compare with Ljungberg's contribution over 9

Others to consider are Limpar, Larsson & Larsson, Mellberg, Brolin

L'prof wrote: »
    Zlatan has certainly been the better player and had the better career but his one season at United can't compare with Ljungberg's contribution over 9

Others to consider are Limpar, Larsson & Larsson, Mellberg

I'd agree with that. Longevity has to be a big factor and let's face it, Ljungberg was a very good player too.

Cameroon: Eto'o
    Ivory Cost: Drogba
    Ghana: Essien
    Togo: Adebayor

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cameroon: Eto'o
    Ivory Cost: Drogba
    Ghana: Essien
    Togo: Adebayor

Been some really good players from the Ivory Coast in the league too. Yaya especially. I think Bailly might be in with bad shout in a few years but again given my bias for attackers it's always going to be hard to look past Drogba. Serious guy with his charity work too apparently.

Senegal - toss up between El Hadj Diouf and Ali Dia. Dia probably gets the nod due to having had a more positive affect on the English game :D

Also give a shout to Goal of the month for Ghana. Essien was clearly better but my God did Yeboah score some amazing goals.

Also give a shout to Goal of the month for Ghana. Essien was clearly better but my God did Yeboah score some amazing goals.

Gyan had some flashy finishes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Senegal - toss up between El Hadj Diouf and Ali Dia. Dia probably gets the nod due to having had a more positive affect on the English game :D

Sadio Mane surely.

Imo Demba Ba had the most positive effect on the league of any Senegal players. :D

• Advertisement

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Sadio Mane surely.

Papa Boupa Diop the monster.

Fustino Asprillia - Colombia

Fustino Asprillia - Colombia

Juan Pablo Angel?