Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Neuromuscular therapy - and phyiscal therapy?

Options
  • 16-06-2017 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Leaving aside the whole messy debate that is physical therapy of any kind being regarded as a "complimentary therapy" and not a "real science subject".

Leaving that aside - just to emphasize.

I was thinking about going into this area - mainly because, years of sports, I've really availed of massage therapy - I find it tremendous, just hands that know how to work the correct muscles in a competent manner, it breathes life into me at the end of a hard week of training.
    And I understand they also use a complimentary therapy called "dry needling" - which I've never had done, but I hear some people rave about.

I once got the most incredible stiffness and immobility in my deltoid muscles, and no amount of massage work alleviated it.
    I think, needling, in situations like this, would be excellent.

So - there seems to be a few outlets.

Spot in Cork called IIPT - pretty comprehensive syllabus, lots of homework assignments - but, Cork is way down the country.

A spot in Limerick - Institute of massage therapy, I believe it's called?

There's a place in Dublin that does a 3 year course - which puts it out of the question for myself - though I would be interested to hear how it compares to the others in terms of its ultimate qualification.

And another place with a very intellectual sounding title, it being, "Neuromuscular therapy".

What's up with that?
    Is it specific to treating neurodegenerative conditions?
    Cause I know physical therapy can be used for those.

The other thing here is - where the title seems consistent - the end product MUST be different, given the length and cost differences.

I know the place in Cork - well, it mentions, training in "peripheral joint manipulation", which stems from osteopathy.
    And the neuromuscular course, it seems to focus solely on massage techniques.
    The Massage institute in Limerick - seems purely massage as well.

I suppose - from my own point of view, I developed an interest in massage, from getting massages.
    I never had joint manipulation work done.

I envision myself, giving that life restoring feeling of getting good massage work done, to others.

But then - I also want to give myself the best earning potential as possible.

Does the outlet in Cork cover massage work as comprehensively as the others - in addition to joint manipulation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OL16

I did the Neuromuscular Physical Therapy course through the National Training Centre in Dublin. 18 month course, 1 weekend per month.
    I found the theory very interesting. But overall the course was just not for me. IMO there was not enough 'hands on' work for such a course. Consequently I, and I did successfully pass the course, left feeling not fully confident in practicing. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that course.

Advertisement