Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Japan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

seiphil wrote: »
    Conway has been pretty poor today.

Not offering much and hasn't been great with ball in the air.
    On the last kick anyway, it was too far and he looked like he didn't even know a kick was coming. None of the back three have done much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah that was backwards. Back yourself Doyle. Don't let the crowd start making decisions for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

On the last kick anyway, it's was too far and he looked like he dint even know a kick was coming. None of the back three have done much.

Ah no I don't blame him for that.

There was 2/3 in the first half.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Come on Killer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah that was backwards. Back yourself Doyle. Don't let the crowd start making decisions for you.

Still, the intent was there. Yellow card imo. Professional foul, trying to knock down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If by backwards you mean forwards then you are absolutely correct.

How many penalties can you conceded and not even get a yellow card warning?

In a match like this you've to add a free pass for every 5 points your ahead

Well played Japan.

Fumi bringing some patience and direction

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Basil3 wrote: »
    Still, the intent was there. Yellow card imo. Professional foul, trying to knock down.

Huh? Trying to knock on but knocking back is a yellow card? What fresh lunacy is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Basil3 wrote: »

He didn't card Japan for an identical one in the first half, should he referee one side more harshly?

Deserved score even if a bit lucky. We've dropped off a lot in this half. Wouldn't mind seeing Cooney on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Deserved for Japan - bouncing off Stockdales foot could have gone anywhere but it worked out for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Toner's meters carried are through the roof again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Surely that's penalty!

Bazzo wrote: »
    He didn't card Japan for an identical one in the first half, should he referee one side more harshly?

I wasn't watching when that happened, therefore it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

That was weird logic by Doyle, we've given a couple of penalties for this offence already so we'll just keep on giving them.

Is playing someone in the air off a bouncing ball a thing?

Japan have left lazy rollers there all day

Conway's dropped a lot of balls on this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Same savage tackles in defense there.

• Advertisement

Japanese player was a mile offside before that marmion chance

Not at all impressed with Marmions decision making today.

Not at all impressed with Marmions decision making today.

His passing off the ruck has been far too sluggish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Japanese defense has been super committed but they're being assisted by nobody policing the offside line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This 2nd half has given me a great opportunity to keep a close eye on the inside of my eye lids

chupacabra wrote: »
    His passing off the ruck has been far too sluggish too.

Cooney won't be getting any more than a couple of mins at best though....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can't take the heat and intensity at all.

Ah f off JP. You've been letting Japan away with offside all day!

I'd like to see Jackson change the point of attack, we're just folding round the corner from one side of the field to the other, very easy for Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Really frustrating how Japan are able to off load the ball pretty well and we struggle with it.

Number of players who had an opportunity and didn't.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Japan LH went to his knees immediately in that scrum. But why did Cooney not use that!?

Ah that's BS by Doyle.

Tells fumi to use it, and let's him leave it there for about 8-9 seconds

Christ on a bike Jackson!

Our half backs up and unders have been generally poor. Japan have been far better there.

That's more like it!

James Ryan really does look special... Looking to off load Whens he's up in contact... Make great ground when taking it hard.

Good try Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Good score Reidy, bit of quality with the one-two and good steam to make it to the line.

Very happy with what I've seen from Ryan today. For a guy who hadn't played any senior rugby of any kind and feck all rugby this season he's been really impressive.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    James Ryan really does look special... Looking to off load Whens he's up in contact... Make great ground when taking it hard.

Good try Sean

He seems to make yards every single time he gets his hands on the ball.

Was that really Cooneys first cap? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thoroughly entertaining game. You can see how a good pragmatic coach like Jones got Japan ticking, all the basics are there, they just need to improve on their discipline and decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone seen any YouTube links for the full game yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Did Porter get on? Anything of note?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Thoroughly entertaining game. You can see how a good pragmatic coach like Jones got Japan ticking, all the basics are there, they just need to improve on their discipline and decision making.

The worst muck I have ever witnessed followed by the best game I have seen for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

The worst muck I have ever witnessed followed by the best game I have seen for a long time

Ah now you must be a young buck.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Ah now you must be a young buck.
    Not that young OldRio :-) but honestly I thought the Irish game was such terrible stuff. There was absolutely no inventiveness. I don't really know what Marmion was doing. It was just sideways pass and bang, over and over and over and yawn. It was so shockingly one dimensional you could teach anybody how to do it. Is this the future of Irish rugby? Is it so caught up in a process that there is nothing else? Today was a shocking indictment of how unimaginative Irish rugby is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not sure why everyone is always so quick to stick the knife in to Marmion. He was far from the worst player on the pitch today but he seems to be the only one getting criticism heaped on him. The Japanese were blowing players off the ball counter rucking throughout the whole match and had a ferocious linespeed and he still got quick accurate ball secured at the vast majority of rucks, without seemingly receiving the help he should expect from our forwards, particularly our mobile back rows.

I doubt Joe will be looking that and reaming Marmion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

There were a few times where it needed to head out to Jackson for a chip or crossfield kick. The Japanese defense were allowed by Ireland to rush up all day. And for me Ireland are set up by management to be controlled at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Today was a shocking indictment of how unimaginative Irish rugby is.

Really - seriously man , have you watched Irish rugby this year , with a small population we have already beaten NZ, SA Aus and England in one calendar year - it is the end of a long (too long) season where 11 of our best players are with the Lions - and you moan about unimaginative rugby - with players like Ringrose, Van DF, Carberry, Ryan, Furlong, Dillane, Leavy, Conan, Henderson, Byrne, Zebo and many more coming through- and you moan about unimaginative rugby - 20 years ago we had such - get a grip.

thebaz wrote: »
    Really - seriously man , have you watched Irish rugby this year , with a small population we have already beaten NZ, SA Aus and England in one calendar year - it is the end of a long (too long) season where 11 of our best players are with the Lions - and you moan about unimaginative rugby - with players like Ringrose, Van DF, Carberry, Ryan, Furlong, Dillane, Leavy, Conan, Henderson, Byrne, Zebo and many more coming through- and you moan about unimaginative rugby - 20 years ago we had such - get a grip.
    I think you see the point but fail to see the point. You suggest that we have many players down under and that is a given. You then point to all the up and coming players. And my point is that these up and coming players are so shackled into a process that they arrive at the same mundane outcome. You talk about the wins, so lets step through them. SA are currently at an alltime low, for us to be unable to win that series with the quality we have is in itself dreadful, we won against the ABs minus the majority of their starting players but it was a great win and I do not knock it, Australia we finished playing Marmion on the wing but they are so rubbish how could you honestly say that was a good win. And then we lose against Scotland and lose against Wales, so there was pride at stake against England. And this is our year summed up. We lifted ourselves on a couple of occasions from our normal mediocrity. I would rather we lift our norm beyond mediocrity. I find it hard to believe this is possible with such a mundane gameplan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement