Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm CCTV

Options
  • 17-06-2017 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking to get a budget-ish CCTV system for a farm. 4 cameras or so. The challenge is that the sheds are 200-300m away from the house, where the DVR will be. Most of the maplins kits don't look like they will work at that distance, their cameras are powered by the DVR which limits the range from what ive read. There are outlets in the sheds for power.

Anyone recommend cameras, dvr etc that might work for us? Don't want to spend more than 500 ideally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

€500 is too low a budget to get 4 cameras , recorder , monitor , poe switch , transmitter , receiver , cabling etc.

If you want something that is quality and will last more than a year you need to invest a bit more .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Could probably go to €1000 if thats going to make the difference?  Did some measurements there and actually the furthest away camera would be just about 100m from the DVR.  There is power in the Sheds so dont need to send power with the video signal if that makes it easier.  Any brands, sites (or preferably full kits) you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hikvision do decent gear for the money. I have installed their cameras for just viewing sheds about three years ago and no issues to date. I picked them up off different sites but amazon do them. I would move to an NVR rather than DVR and use IP cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Cheers for that, just reading up on the IP / NVR option, they are saying the max range for cabling is 100m? Not sure that will work for us without installing some sort of network switches, and likewise wouldnt trust a wireless signal over the 200m that we need to get to the farthest shed.

I'm reading 200m is about the max for an analogue system (we have power for the cams in the sheds). So maybe analogue is the best option for us, or am i missing something? Are there other disadvantages of DVR compared to NVR? Not looking for state-of-the-art, just something for peace of mind.

The gap between the farmhouse and first shed is less than 100m - is it easy to set up the switches needed to keep a strong enough ethernet signal for NVR?Getting out of the comfort zone with the networking stuff... :confused: if only the packaged "home security kits" would cover the 200m we need.

All help appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

You can go wireless IP up to 3k if its in direct sight . Turbo analogue (HD) can be wired up to 400 metres now-a-days . You can probably do it DIY for €1200-€1500 but if u want it to last get a lad in who knows hos stuff . Im sure theres a grant available 😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement