Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a place in Dublin

Options
  • 17-06-2017 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've had a few job interviews this week, and two of them went really well. Well enough that I'm looking into getting a place up there. I'm coming up from Cork, and both jobs are based in Sandyford.

I'm just back from Canada and I'm pretty eager to get back to work. One of them pays about 3000 a month (no exact number yet), the other 1200 a month, and gets bumped up in six months to about 3000. Big difference, but the 3000 one has far more candidates, and is much more competitive to get.

I don't know Dublin that well (or at all, really), so I'm not sure about where to look or even what to look for.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Would you be driving or using public transport? With the Luas extension opening in December, you could live on the northside, which I'd say is more affordable, and get the Luas to Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Loblox

Would you be driving or using public transport? With the Luas extension opening in December, you could live on the northside, which I'd say is more affordable, and get the Luas to Sandyford.

No car, so public transport. I was thinking maybe a bike, but after going through the traffic there this week, I'm gonna forget about that.

sugarman wrote: »
    Depends what you're looking for...

You've no car, so you'll need somewhere along the Luas/bus routes at the least.

Are you looking to be close to the city centre?

Maybe? I'm sure public transport could help out if I wanted/needed to get in and out. It's not a major priority right now, it'd be nice but not mandatory.
    Are you intending on renting an apartment yourself or looking for a room share?

Either or, I'm not massively fussed either way.

Whats your budget?

Both jobs are full time, one pays 1200 a month, the other somewhere between 25-3000 a month. I can supplement it with some freelance work if needed, but that's more inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Maybe I'm reading the post wrong but not can't see you being able to afford anywhere with the job 1200 for the first six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Loblox wrote: »
    ), the other 1200 a month, and gets bumped up in six months to about 3000.

Are they having a laugh? Assuming its full time work, that isnt even minimum wage. You cannot live in Dublin on that income.

• Advertisement

Are they having a laugh? Assuming its full time work, that isnt even minimum wage. You cannot live in Dublin on that income.

Yeah, it's full-time. 5 days a week, 8-4 or 10-6, depending on the shift. I'll admit I'm a little behind on what is and isn't a good wage right now, so I'll have to bring that up if/when they call me.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Loblox wrote: »
    Yeah, it's full-time. 5 days a week, 8-4 or 10-6, depending on the shift. I'll admit I'm a little behind on what is and isn't a good wage right now, so I'll have to bring that up if/when they call me.

Minimum wage is 9.25/hr so that figure of 1200 is below that. Definitely ask about it!

Advertisement