Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer

Options
  • 17-06-2017 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest a reasonably heavy duty strimmer that is not too heavy and hard to handle, something with body support?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Can you clarify what you mean by body support ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am vaguely aware of some strimmers that have a frame that leans against the operator so all the weight is not on the arms. Is this effective, do you still need a lot of arm strength to operate it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRUESHOPPING-PROFESSIONAL-STRIMMER-BRUSHCUTTER-POWERFUL/dp/B001NX7XWG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497709860&sr=8-3&keywords=petrol+lawn+strimmer

This one (randomly) has a harness.

You need little arm strength. The secret is to balance the strimmer on it's harness.

86 one star reviews is very worrying. It's extremely cheap & probably unrepairable.

Thank you, I wasn't particularly looking at that one, it was just the first I found with a harness. I am not as young as I used to be :D and the other user, my daughter, while a good deal stronger than me would not have the strength that a gardening-type guy would have. Its only a notion, might be better to just hire the guy with the strimmer :D

How much do you have to strim? Any Strimmer can use a harness.

• Advertisement

Its for something I am investigating, rather than my current garden. However my 'guy with a strimmer' came and did my garden yesterday and made such a good job of it I think it would be worth just paying him!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

looksee wrote: »
    I am vaguely aware of some strimmers that have a frame that leans against the operator so all the weight is not on the arms. Is this effective, do you still need a lot of arm strength to operate it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRUESHOPPING-PROFESSIONAL-STRIMMER-BRUSHCUTTER-POWERFUL/dp/B001NX7XWG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497709860&sr=8-3&keywords=petrol+lawn+strimmer

This one (randomly) has a harness.

Funnily enough, I actually own that strimmer.

I was looking for a cheap one a few years back, and I have had it for maybe 4yrs now, and still going strong. I didn't fancy splashing big money on a Stihl or a Honda or anything at the time, but if buying again I probably would.

Will run this one into the ground first.

Advertisement