Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Removal with Cherry Picker?

Options
  • 17-06-2017 1:44pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an over sized sofa that won't fit through the front door of my apartment, in the lift or the stairwell (it was assembled in the apartment). It can probably only be removed though the balcony window, six floors up.

Anyone have any experience of this or ideas? I'd rather not hire a cherry picker myself. Do any removal companies offer services like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Swap apartments with conorhal from the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Dissemble it and remove it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Barbie! wrote: »
    Dissemble it and remove it.

Had a guy look at it this morning. Not an option due to how it was assembled unfortunately. It's removal guys with a cherry picker or a big saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it won't fit out the door of your apartment how is it going to fit in the door of where you are moving it?

Cherry pickers are only designed to move people not large bulky items, so I can't see a legitimate company putting a huge sofa onto a cherry picker with their staff and you don't want to use cowboys. You'd most likely need to hire a crane to get it down.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

As to the first question, I'm obviously satisfied that is not an issue.

As far as your very, very specific cherry picker point goes, there are, I believe, crane-like hoisting devices that can be employed to lift objects. If not a Cherry Picker®, then some other similar machine.

Now I remember why I took a break from Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Will it fit out the window, or will you need to get the window taken out.
    If it's the latter, unless the replacement Costs are in mid 4 figures, I can't see how it would be viable to remove it.

I'm also struggling to understand how the sofa can't be disassembled? Anything that is put together on site can also be dismantled. It's nuts, bolts and possibly glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Will it fit out the window, or will you need to get the window taken out.
    If it's the latter, unless the replacement Costs are in mid 4 figures, I can't see how it would be viable to remove it.

I'm also struggling to understand how the sofa can't be disassembled? Anything that is put together on site can also be dismantled. It's nuts, bolts and possibly glue.

It could have been put together with nails or staples, wouldn't be so easy to take apart then.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maximilian wrote: »
    As far as your very, very specific cherry picker point goes, there are, I believe, crane-like hoisting devices that can be employed to lift objects. If not a Cherry Picker®, then some other similar machine.

Forklift teleporter https://www.google.ie/search?q=teleporter&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE704IE704&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT2vu8wsXUAhVOJFAKHcz7BqsQ_AUICigB&biw=1152&bih=758#tbm=isch&q=teleporter+forklift Likely to cost a few hundred a day (including operator), but see if you can hire for a part day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It could have been put together with nails or staples, wouldn't be so easy to take apart then.

I've a claw hammer and pry bar that would disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What are dimensions and the weight of sofa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

6 floors high is probably beyond the scope of most cherry pickers. Most have weight limits of about 150kg.
    To get a crane would cost more than a new sofa, I fear.

Edit. Perhaps talk to a firm of tree surgeon's, they often are equipped and qualified to do ropes removals of tree limbs.
    How well do you trust your balcony to support two people plus a large sofa? You don't need a Berkley scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

It would need to be a fairly valuable sofa to justify the cost of a teleporter/crane to get it off a 6th floor balcony. I would guess a €500-600 charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maximilian wrote: »
    It's removal guys with a cherry picker or a big saw.
    Any chance you have the make & model of the chair? A saw seems the nuclear option, and the crane may not be financially viable; it may be cheaper to buy a replacement chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

the_syco wrote: »
    ... it may be cheaper to buy a replacement chair.
    ... especially if you can persuade the next occupier of the apartment to purchase the one that is there.

On the other hand, if the next occupier does not want it, you have an obligation to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

C3PO wrote: »
    I would guess a €500-600 charge!

I would think more than that, it would be a completely non-standard lift for a cherrypicker and the manual handling involved in getting it to the window and appropriately slung.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Swap apartments with conorhal from the other thread.

Here he comes to save the day! :cool:

Get on to Allen Removals, I had them do the same job for me last week. It was pricy at 630 Euro but then some other jokers wanted 1,200 for the job.
    If you can work a hoist or have a mate that can then just hiring the equipment will be a lot cheeper as the bulk of that cost was for the 3 guys that came with it.
    They can also send out sombody to assess access which I'd reccomend.

They used one of these to lift the suite to the first floor but for six floors up I'd say different equipment would probably be needed.

big-easy-ladder-hoist_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

conorhal the hero should be your new username!

Advertisement