Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Letter of Claim?

• 17-06-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

It says here that I need to send a letter of claim within 2 months or as "soon as practicable".

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/31/section/8/enacted/en/html

With the later provision in mind, what are some reasons I could have to send a late letter of claim? I think I've missed the boat by a few weeks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Pls discuss generally, keeping to rule against legal advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The time reasonably taken to establish the identity of the intended defendant, to investigate the cause of the incident, to obtain the necessary legal advice and opinions would be the usual ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is a 2 year limit on the initiation of proceedings ( extended if it goes to PIAB). The o/p is talking about a notification letter which should be sent within the first 8 weeks of the incident. This is intended to assist defendants from being surprised by a letter coming just before the expiry of the 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭stainluss

to obtain the necessary legal advice and opinions would be the usual ones.

How long in theory this could push it out? It sounds like these allowances could make the 8 weeks pretty hairy...
    There is a 2 year limit on the initiation of proceedings ( extended if it goes to PIAB). The o/p is talking about a notification letter which should be sent within the first 8 weeks of the incident. This is intended to assist defendants from being surprised by a letter coming just before the expiry of the 2 years.

Is a timely notification letter legally required for proceedings at court to go ahead (I know it isn't for the PIAB)?
    It seems pretty concrete in the statute book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

stainluss wrote: »
    How long in theory this could push it out? It sounds like these allowances could make the 8 weeks pretty hairy...

Is a timely notification letter legally required for proceedings at court to go ahead (I know it isn't for the PIAB)?
    It seems pretty concrete in the statute book...

The section does not stop proceedings if a letter of claim not sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭stainluss

The section does not stop proceedings if a letter of claim not sent.

Letter of claim.

8.—(1) Where a plaintiff in a personal injuries action fails, without reasonable cause, to serve a notice in writing, before the expiration of 2 months from the date of the cause of action, or as soon as practicable thereafter, on the wrongdoer or alleged wrongdoer stating the nature of the wrong alleged to have been committed by him or her, the court hearing the action may—

(a) draw such inferences from the failure as appear proper, and

(b) where the interests of justice so require—

(i) make no order as to the payment of costs to the plaintiff, or

(ii) deduct such amount from the costs that would, but for this section, be payable to the plaintiff as it considers appropriate.

Thanks for your response.

I take it that the bolded statements mean, 'look badly upon' and 'reduce the payout by a random amount', respectively?

I never knew statutes could be so iffy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Thanks for your response.

I take it that the bolded statements mean, 'look badly upon' and 'reduce the payout by a random amount', respectively?

I never knew statutes could be so iffy :p

If a Defendant can show for some reason there is a problem with not having got a letter of claim then the Court MAY, do one of the things set out in the section. I am not aware of any case where not sending the letter of claim, was an issue.

The options are after drawing what ever inferences to do one of the following

"(b) where the interests of justice so require—

(i) make no order as to the payment of costs to the plaintiff, or

(ii) deduct such amount from the costs that would, but for this section, be payable to the plaintiff as it considers appropriate."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With the later provision in mind, what are some reasons I could have to send a late letter of claim?
    You were in a coma or otherwise incapacitated for 3 months after the incident.

Not sure what the situation is where there was ongoing injury.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The vast majority of PI cases never go to a hearing, so it is unlikely that it will ever be raised. It is just better to explain it by the fact that it was late because the injured person was a bit of a simpleton.

Advertisement