Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer advice & Pyrite.

Options
  • 17-06-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So my and her (late 20s)are looking and planning to buy.

We've been approved by the bank now just have to find somewhere.

Plain and simple fact is we can't afford a house withuut risking our lives on a daily basis.

Northword in Santry presented us with an oppurtuinity however it had/has pyrite. (Ground Floor apartment.)

It has been fixed and recieved a green cert in relation to pyrite. The question is, are we stupid to even consider it. As its an apartment block and it relates to walls & floors whos responsible to pick up the tab if the issue arises again.

Love to hear your advice thoughts and concerns. We've considered just rent but it costs so much more in comparison to just buying it. Plus it has potential for rental income when we do come into a postion to afford a house.

Really like the place but just trying to consider all the risks.

Edit: Im aware it will hit resale value but i don't see it selling for lower than it is now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi,
    I've just moved out of my house for 3 months in Rush for pyrite remediation, this was done through the pyrite remediation scheme.

The quality of work that was done in our estate was fantastic, they dug down what looked like around 6 feet in the house all concrete out side around the house was replaced as well. We were give a green cert which is signed off by the engineers confirming the house does not have pyrite anymore.

I've been involved and following the pyrite progress through out the country and would consider myself quite well informed on the matter.

The following is what I would make sure,
    The whole block has had remediation carried out on the ground floor, with none not done. What can happen in apartment blocks is that 1 resident refuses to get the work done. This can cause issues for surrounding apartments. Also make sure that concrete out side has been replace upto at least 3 feet either side. Make sure no other structure that touches the building has been left.
    The way I see it now is that a house with pyrite remediation and the green cert is a pretty good bet as you know 100% that it does not have pyrite, this especially through in areas that have confirmed pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

All of the apartments plus internal common area were remediated in the development you speak of in Northwood. The work had to be done as per regulations in 2017, not those of 2004 when the apartments were built.

Advertisement