Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Target Shooting - Midlands

• 17-06-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I live in the Midlands and I've owned a CZ .22 magnum for years. I'm interested in trading it in and upgrading to a .308. I've seen a few second hand ones going cheap, and even a handful of Ruger/Remington models between 6-900 euro new.

I'd love to start long range target shooting, and possibly go down the line of deer hunting and a more expensive rifle upgrade if I enjoy it. Does anyone know of any shooting ranges close to the midlands that they've visited? I've looked in to one or two, but they seem pretty expensive or you need referrals from members.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.

There is only one long range rifle range in the country and that is the MNSCI. An Roicht in Kerry have out to 300 mtrs, and after that there is not one other range in the country that goes beyond 100 mtrs or yards.

So if you fancy trying short, medium or long range shooting you have either the MNSCI in Tullamore, or An Roicht in Kerry.

Membership fees can vary from range to range and most have some sort of additional fee for the first year. Its to prevent people joining a range, licensing a firearm they ordinarily would have no good reason to have, and then leave after the first year. IOW ranges was members that will participate in the range and genuinely want the facilities they provide.

I absolutely don't want to put you off, but to avoid sugar coating it long range shooting is not cheap. Informal plinking at medium ranges (say 300 to 600 yards) is cheaper, but still costs a few bob each visit. Don't get me wrong it can be as expensive or cheap as you want to make it but somethings just demand a certain level of equipment and that is not cheap.

A decent, capable rifle with scope, rings, bipod, and a few bare essentials will cost you a minimum of €1,750 and there is no upper limit at it's a matter of how much you want to spend. If you want to go second hand, and trust me there is not a thing wrong with a second hand rifle (i shoot one) you will be able to shave some of the cost off that price.

The key to picking the rifle is finding one that is in the caliber you want, in the budget you have but still able to perform. IOW if you bought a rifle for say €500, a scope for €200, and anything else you need and had it all together for say €800. Well that is great and i guarantee it'll drop deer and hunt all day long.

Now when it comes to target shooting you need accuracy and precision. Most rifles will do what you need, but some do it so much better. The most disheartening thing i've seen on a range is a chap shooting a gun that is simply not capable of giving him the accuracy he needs to do what he wants. He then becomes fed up and annoyed and looses interest in the sport before he has begun.

If you wanted to start target shooting a half decent 308 will get you going for the prices you mentioned. All it means is as your ability increases so to does your need for a better rig. Depending on how far you want to push yourself will determine the cost, however to start with any hunting style rifle will work just fine.

Long range is not hard, it's really not. I guarantee within 10 - 15 minutes of setting up i'd have you hitting the target and hitting it well at 1,000 yards with any 308 rifle and factory ammo. How much more accurate you want to be would then determine what you need to change on your own rifle or upgrade to.

I absolutely don't want to put you off but the point i'm trying to make is the initial, and once off, first year fee is not going to be the biggest expense you have to pay out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

If you are interested i do range days at MNSCI every 4 weeks or so.
    There are range rifle available to use if you want to try the longer ranges.
    zero in the morning 100- 300 then out to the reactive targets at 300, then back to 600 after some lunch.
    Drop me an email and i let you know when the next one is going on, Milliradians (at) gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Welcome to Boards shooting.. any Range can be expensive to join but Target shooting ain't cheap either, so do your sums first... 'tis around €1:50 a shot .308cal, nowadays I shoot a lot of 22s and a little of 308 & 6.5... theres also .22 pistols to think of if ya plan on joining a range, Midlands do bulls eye pistol and recently joined up with the NASRPC lots of target shooting available there, get the most outta your membership either way wherever you join. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thunderduck

Harbour House might be local to you, cant say much for the target shooting as i shoot clays but its another option for you

edit: just seen long range, mnsci would be your only man for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Ziggieire wrote: »
    If you are interested i do range days at MNSCI every 4 weeks or so.
    There are range rifle available to use if you want to try the longer ranges.
    zero in the morning 100- 300 then out to the reactive targets at 300, then back to 600 after some lunch.
    Drop me an email and i let you know when the next one is going on, Milliradians (at) gmail.com

What is a reactive target?
    Also - what calibers are you shooting out to 600?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 thunderduck

ezra_ wrote: »

could be a shoot n see or one that knocks down and can be reset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

ezra_ wrote: »
    Steel plates in a shrapnel catcher. KYL pigs some kind of big bird. some resetting poppers.
    Ill take any centerfire to 600, well maybe not a hornet .204 up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MeowMeowMeow

Thank you all very much for your replies I really appreciate it...Looks like I'll have to start saving so!

Do ye know much in terms of deer hunting? I know for my .22wmr all I needed were 2 letters from my dad's friends granting me permission to shoot on their land. I've actually never seen deer on their land but I've been told they're around the area.

I assume if I wanted to go down that route I'll need to apply for a deer license to justify wanting a .308 rifle. Pretty sure my cousin told me years ago I need to include land folio numbers etc in an application? Sounds a bit complicated to me...Excuse the ignorance!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do ye know much in terms of deer hunting?
    You can discuss hunting on the hunting forum, but to get you started have a read of this thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement