Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance: best deal?

Options
  • 17-06-2017 4:20pm

Two years ago I paid €650 for a two-year comprehensive policy with Blue Insurance (i.e. €325 per year). I'm struggling to get anything comparable now (I've never had an insurance claim and have been driving for 20 years plus).

Anybody finding decent value for car insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sosq

Fuaranach wrote: »
    Two years ago I paid €650 for a two-year comprehensive policy with Blue Insurance (i.e. €325 per year). I'm struggling to get anything comparable now (I've never had an insurance claim and have been driving for 20 years plus).

Anybody finding decent value for car insurance?

try postinsurance.ie €530, axa €980, liberty €1100. Try to change profession (accountant is cheapest one , if you don't do shift work should be OK), add your spouse ( if female)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭btmp75

Hi recently bought a 2012 Honda Fit ( import from ~Japan) 1.5 pet/hybrid. Mny companies are refusing to give a quote. Just wondering any one could help by giving brokers / companies who accept Japanese imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

sosq wrote: »
    try postinsurance.ie €530, axa €980, liberty €1100. Try to change profession (accountant is cheapest one , if you don't do shift work should be OK), add your spouse ( if female)

Why would you put yourself in as an accountant if that is not your occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gerry20

I got a renewal quote from 123.ie today, its gone up again! I've 10+ years no claims on a full Irish licence.
    BMW 320CD 2009 and I am being quoted over 1K by most companies. 25plus.ie was the cheapest so far at 895eur fully comp.
    Any other companies I can check?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Got mine today mini 12 1.6 D €950 clean LICENCE too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

sosq wrote: »

I wouldnt risk giving inaccurate information for fear of invalidation of the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

gerry20 wrote: »
    I got a renewal quote from 123.ie today, its gone up again! I've 10+ years no claims on a full Irish licence.
    BMW 320CD 2009 and I am being quoted over 1K by most companies. 25plus.ie was the cheapest so far at 895eur fully comp.
    Any other companies I can check?

Did you try get a quote from 123.ie as a new customer? I've saved a good bit that way before.

Also the quotes they give you seem to go down till about 10-12 days before renewal when they start to go back up. Like booking a flight ages in advance or at the last minute. Someone on here did up a graph for quotes they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

btmp75 wrote: »
    Hi recently bought a 2012 Honda Fit ( import from ~Japan) 1.5 pet/hybrid. Mny companies are refusing to give a quote. Just wondering any one could help by giving brokers / companies who accept Japanese imports.
    I've a Japanese import, liberty insure me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Like above was with cornmarket price went up again based on last year to 750 tried axa 1600!! Wtf!! Used 123 got it for 580 which is what it was 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just say there's an insurance forum over on the motors board might be worth checking that out too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So many variables.

Its all down to the risk profile of an insurance company's book.

Hence, this month one company could give you a bad quote and next month they could be cheapest as they are constantly balancing their risk profile.

In many cases, esp with AIG, adding a partner as a named driver cuts 20% off.

When selecting your profession, you usually have 2/3 options that describes your work. Select the most boring.

Advertisement