Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice would be great!

• 17-06-2017 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi im trying to figure out whether or not to do a social care degree, or to just start working. I have loads of qualifications cooking, sports and social care level 5, but i dont have much work experience. I do not feel fully commited to doing social care as i dont know if i really have that much of a passion for it, and i dont know if there are enough jobs in the social care area, the reason i want to do it is as a back up because im terrified of not been able to get a job which i feel is worthwile. alot of people are telling me college is over rated and you dont need degrees nowadays but every job for social care ive seen says you need a level 7/8. i dont know what to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

There are plenty of jobs in social care but you definitely need to have the passion for it (and a degree if you want to earn decent money). Nowadays, you really need a degree for any sort of career security with a view to progressing. Look into something else if social care is not your passion. I would definitely advise you to do a degree now if you have the opportunity, you may regret the subject choice but you will never regret furthering your education.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

Thanks loveinapril, i know id like to have a job that is meaningful but to say i have a passion for it would not be true, ive done a level 5 in social care and realy enjoyed it . i find the psychology and learning about the mind very interesting, im worried that my communication skills arent strong enough for social care as i can be very introverted. i still care about others but my personality is introverted and its hard to come out of my shell thats what my worry is. would you feel if i studied social care and didnt work in that area it wouldnt be useless? i mean im 29 now and id like to start making money but dont want to work in a job without been able to progress or that i enjoy.

do you mean someone will hire me because i have a degree even in an unrelated field?

the thing is ive done 4 and a half years in college in total on plc courses but never got a degree. i studied sports for 2 years and social care for 2 years but not at degree level. and i studied catering for half a year, not much paid work has come from these courses.. will having a degree really help my chances

No, I advised you to get a degree to help you get a good job in general. PLC courses are often a taster towards a degree. I did one myself. Check out activelink.ie to see the Social Care jobs available. You need a degree for most.

My husband is currently going into 2nd year in Social Care and there are lots of presentations and stuff as part of his course. There were less when I did my degree over ten years ago. Presentations certainly help boost confidence. You don't have to be particularly outgoing to be in Social Care. Strength and confidence comes with experience and any good applied course has work placement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Perhaps coming from a different perspective and I am open to correction

My missus has just finished a level 8 degree in social science and is now having to go on and study a masters in a different field as there are few and far between.

Something to consider.

thanks loveinapril that is encouraging. its cool the way you have a social care qualification and your husband is studying to get one now too. its a very popular course. i suppose its never too late to go back to college, ive looked at all options for courses over and over again on the cao handbook, ive considered graphic design but job prospects dont seem great in that area, so social care is the only one id really want to do. ive been reading alot of posts on boards and online and alot of people are saying degrees are useless if your not doing engineering or nursing or something your extra passionate about, but thats just another perspective on it.
    I have done intrest profiles and my main personality charactheristic is been an idealist. idealists are known to want to help others, and been aware of others needs etc, so after reading that i felt maybe it is the job for me. im also realistic (like working with hands), and creative (art, poetry) etc. ive thought about been a plumber, a graphic designer, a chef and a social care worker among others.
    as u can see im having a very big mid life crisis. i envy people who just seem to know what they want, and go for it, im always so unsure.

Have you tried to do volunteer work in any of those areas? In a previous thread you mentioned an interest in homelessness. Could you get in contact with a charity in your area and offer some of your time to get experience? Being around like minded people will really give you a feel for it.

Well yes I have they sent me back a volunteer form which i havent finished yet....
    The garda clearance will take a few weeks to get back even after i applied so i could be waiting a few weeks, i really regret that i didnt get experience when i had the time. i have experience in a youth centre tho. i went to the homeless organisation and got a little feel for it, by talking to staff and seeing a couple of residents but i def wouldnt count as experience and wasnt enough to know if id really enjoy it. i suppose its best to just finishing filling out the form and drop it back to them, and hopefully they can take me on soon before college starts. the offers come out in early july so i dont have much time to decide.

thanks for trying to help me by the way

• Advertisement

ive been through alot of tough times in my own life so i feel i am able to relate to people who are homeless etc, and would like to be able to help in anyway. theres something i dont understand tho if u can help me clarify, i know alot of people volunteer to help with the homeless etc, i was wondering do organisations just take volunteers, because it would work out cheaper for them or are they willing to pay people with degrees? also what kind of work is involved?

i was wondering do organisations just take volunteers, because it would work out cheaper for them or are they willing to pay people with degrees? also what kind of work is involved?

Organisations and charities often take on volunteers as they are short staffed and the volunteers fulfill a role that there aren't enough staff to. Some homeless charities have volunteers do 'soup runs' or general support for rough sleepers. Most support helplines are run by volunteers due to staffing/ funding issues. I volunteered on one myself for years. Plenty of unqualified people want to offer something back to the community and offering a few hours a week is often enough commitment for them. There are also roles that cannot be filled by staff due to boundary issues. For example, Foroige Big Brother/ Sister or befriender services where you develop a role model type relationship with a young person. I work for a homeless organisation that has chefs, teachers and personal trainers who volunteer their skills to the service users. I work for another organisation where people offer their time to help out on trips or at different clubs we run. Volunteers are definitely not a substitute for qualified staff members, but they do contribute a lot.

thanks that was very informative, in the place i volunteered for they mentioned doing the 'soup runs' which i would like to do to give back. i know someone that works in the hostel and he gets paid very well for it he is actually a social worker rather than a social care worker, but works as a project worker with the homeless. this is what i would be hoping to do, i can imagine it is hard because i feel most people doing social care want to do this aswell, but it still something i feel id like, so i think i should pursue it. i asked in the homeless place if they take people with a level 5 qualification and they said they do but only for night workers, she said would need a degree for other positions. and she mentioned voluntary is a great way to get your foot in the door, and prove to staff that youd be good at the job

the hostel he is in, is known as a wet hostel which means, residents can drink, and most of them drink heavily and alot of fights can break out, so one role of staff seems to be breaking up fights, and keeping residents safe. they communicate through walkie talkies i noticed in there aswell.

i feel one of my problems is i suffer from high anxiety which makes me less capable of been very sociable. but i have began taking medication for this again, and with that i feel im fully capable of working in this area, i wasnt taking my medication while working with youth, which i noticed affected my abilities greatly.

the hostel he is in, is known as a wet hostel which means, residents can drink, and most of them drink heavily and alot of fights can break out, so one role of staff seems to be breaking up fights, and keeping residents safe. they communicate through walkie talkies i noticed in there aswell.

This is where further qualifications and training helps. There are many different behaviour management techniques and training courses for this type of work. What looks like 'breaking up fights' has a lot of theory and training behind it as to not escalate things further. This is why they require qualified staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i felt maybe it is the job for me. im also realistic (like working with hands), and creative (art, poetry) etc. ive thought about been a plumber, a graphic designer, a chef and a social care worker among others.
    as u can see im having a very big mid life crisis. i envy people who just seem to know what they want, and go for it, im always so unsure.

I think your best option is to talk to a career guidance professional, you sound very confused on what career to aim for. (your posts make you come accross as a bit all over the place)

You said "alot of people are telling me college is over rated and you dont need degrees nowadays", they are wrong. A degree gives you options, even in areas not related to the degree specifically, and in the future, will be even more vital (a lot of careers require university education, and the number is increasing). Fetac level 5 or 6 courses are mainly for "trying out" an area and then progressing to degree level. Did you end up working in any of the areas you did those courses in? Whats your previous work history like?

I'm just finishing my 1st degree this year, in my 30's, no age is too old to improve your education. However, if you are very undecided, dont just jump into a 4 year commitment, its a long time if your hearts not in it. This is why talking to a professional would help you a lot.

You mention you want to have a job that is "meaningful" and this is holding you back a bit. Meaningful is a very subjective term and you can make almost any job meaningful to you.

i have been seeing a guidance counsellor but i dont find him very helpful so far, he seems to think social care is not for me because im not very sociable at the moment, ive become very isolated, but i think this is partly to do with depression and anxiety which i am now taking medication for, i love been around people and im very caring, i just need to come out of my shell, its not helping at the moment because im on social welfare no job, not many friends, no girlfriend etc, so im down in myself and have become self obserbed, i met a boy today who has schitzophernia and i felt nice been with him, i introduced myself to him, but did not say too much to him, but i do feel i could bring something to the area of social care, and that i would enjoy it , im also a very tactile person and like using my hands, i would never shun working in a department store, ive been offered a job in an department store and tbh id love to work there, but i cant at the moment because im so undecided about my college course. i think i just need to bite the bullet and go for it, unfortunatly i have to tell the department store that i cant work there because i will lose out on my benefits if i decide to go back to college which i most likely will. i feel my main concern with going back to college is having very little money, i already owe alot of money for bills, and i get envious of other people who are working, making money and having fun, i know though that college is an investment in my life, and i have to sacrifice having little money, also i realise we are fortunate in ireland, in other countries people have to take out huge loans to pay for college so i really cant complain about that. i think its just a fear of the unknown, ive made alot of poor decisions in my life, and approaching 30 i want to make sure i make the right decision. i just want to be able to enjoy my life as best i can, another thing thats putting me off college is ive just completed a level 5 and found it pretty difficult. i like been active and doing things if i can, and with so many college assignments i found myself not been able to do the things i would have been able to do before like going to the gym, doing sports etc, i felt i couldnt do this things because i needed to keep up with my study, that is another fear i have, i want to be able to enjoy life in college and still keep up with my work, i know its possible i just need to stay focused. the last couple of years of my life have been pretty horrible with isolation, depression and anxiety, i really feel i can relate to vulnerable people, and have a caring side. if i can just come out of my shell and be stronger in myself i know i could work with people who are homeless, and people with mental issues etc.

and ive been reading things where people are saying college degrees are not worth it, what employers want is someone with good work ethic and experience nowadays etc. i dont know what to believe, i guess both are true, employers want some one with degrees and they want someone with a work history even without a degree, so either way both options are okay. i feel delighted that i got a job in a department store, its really killing me that i cant take it, because i will lose my opportunity to go to college if i do (will lose funding). a part of me would like to take time out and work but i know if i do this i will lose my chance of ever going to college and i may regret it afterwards, because if u start working u lose all your entitlements for grant payments and btea which is unfair but thats how it is. im not willing to be bored and stay on social welfare another 9 months to get a grant and btea, i will finish college at 33 years old if i start in september, which is not actually too old at all.. my concern is that id also like to have a girlfriend, a child and a car around this time, and been in college and not earning a living will make this very difficult for me.

Thers no reason you cant try find a girlfriend while in college, it wont put your whole life on hold. Again, an awful lot of indecision comes accross in your posts. If you dont like the career guidance counsellor maybe try another one. Although the advice they are giving might be sound advice, they are basing it on how you come accross now, not who might be underneath the depression/anxiety. Also if you found a level 5 difficult, maybe a degree might not be the right path.

Are you seeing a mental health care professional for the depression etc? It may be worth trying to address those feelings before making such a big decision that will add its own stresses.

• Advertisement

i have been seeing a support worker, he seems to say id be able for a degree in social care and said i could branch out into other areas with it. he said alot of people with degrees dont always work in the area they have a degree in, which is a little disheartening in a way, but also encouraging if it leads to something you enjoy. yeah im very anxious person at the moment so thats why i dont know if a career in social care would suit me.. im hoping tho that i can overcome this issue, through my medication and getting active and been around people again. ive looked at loads of options and social care is the only degree i feel id enjoy and be somewhat suited to. my other option is to start working and see where that takes me, alot of people have advised me to do this, but a degree seems to open alot of doors in the workplace. to be honest i really just want to do something. i feel my ex girlfriend broke up with me because i want working and making money and was unsure what to do with my life, and this is what makes me say fk it i need to start making money. sorry i know im rambling on but its good to have someone to talk to about this, your very thoughtful to reply by the way i appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are you sure it's wise to go for a career in social care? I see you've another thread going about depression. You've said in this one that you've got anxiety and need medication. Sometimes part of protecting our mental health is not putting ourselves into positions where things will upset us. Would social care not be an area which has the potential to upset you greatly and make things worse?

Ursas you are right, i have thought about this, i can be uncomftorable talking to others, and inspiring them, when im lacking confidence and i am battling my own demons and fears. ive never been a very social person, and social care is obviously about been social. im not fully sure what i want to study, i thought of doing a business course aswell. the guidance counsellor got the impression that i would be suited to horticulture, but im not so sure and the job prospects arent high for that course. there always seems to be work for social care workers. i dont know why im so indecisive, is it just me? how do some people just know what they want? ive never had a clue what career to get

sometimes id feel id be happy enough working in a factory, working with tools, driving a forklift and that kind of thing. and i think you need much qualifications for that. i like been active at work. i worked as a painter before and i really enjoyed it, because i really liked been able to see the work ive done. and ive had jobs on building sites which involved alot of digging and moving things with wheelborrows, although i wouldnt be my favourate job, i felt great been outdoors and been so physical and was nice to come home tired after a hard days work.

i dont know why im so indecisive, is it just me? how do some people just know what they want? ive never had a clue what career to get

To be honest a lot of people dont know what they want, they just narrow it down until they hone in on an area they have an interest in, or they talk to a professional who can guide them based on their interests (if you dont have any/many, then that would be the first thing to try and figure out). At this stage I wouldnt jump into a degree in "something", because it is such a big commitment that you really need to be dedicated to stick it out. Agree with Ursus Horribilis comment, for someone that suffers with anxiety and depression, social care may be very upsetting/stressful for you (some people can care too much to the detriment of themselves). If you can try volunteering in something related to social care, that will give you a feel for what it might be like for you.

thanks gline, im not sure if i mentioned that i studied a fetac level 5 course in social care for the last two years. i worked in a youth centre for 1 year, the manager talked to me on one occasion because he felt i was too quiete and not interacting enough. this was because of my own personal issues and anxiety possibly because i wasnt taking my anxiety/depression medication. when i had to do a group activity i was very nervous and unable to control the class, so this makes me feel maybe im not suited for it. although i am very good in other areas. i worked in a gym before this, and i did activities with people with severe intellectual disabilities, i found it very nice and rewarding but i realize this was just to do sports with them, i realise it would be very different working with them as a social care worker. i also ran a fitness class for elderly people which i really loved aswell, the elder people were all fairly fit and healthy so again it would be different than working in social care with more vulnerable elderly. but i did really enjoy been able to help them, and they really appreciated me and asked about me when i left the job. ive always been a quiete person, but am very friendly and caring as well. i really wish i had done some voluntary work with brothers of charity and places like that. i have done alot of research into social care, and any time i log on to indeed.ie they are looking for people with a social care qualification. i saw even they were looking for someone as a housing officer with a social care degree, which i didnt know was a possibility. ive even handed my cv into some nursing homes because all you need is a level 5 in social care for that, but if im been honest with myself that would not be a job id like too much, i have a huge fear of dressing patients, and bringing them to the toilet etc. i know it sounds immature but just the thought of it makes me extremely uncomfortable. but i really enjoyed my level 5 course and found the modules really intresting, im really intersted in autism, aspergers syndrome and intellectual disabilities etc. i couldnt study something like engeering or computers because i wouldnt be able for it as it would be to boring for me. so im thinking should i just give the course a go? and try get some voluntary work while in college? if i dont like it i can defer or just drop out, and then figure where to go from there. when i was in the youth centre i often felt that i was not good enough, not as comftorable in my own skin as the others, not able to have a craic with the teenagers like others there, but i was able to build a good rapport with nearly all of them. i found the more troublesome teenagers difficult at times though, and at times i wasnt very stern and they would not listen to me

So why won't you go talk to a career advisor? It sounds like the most logical step to me.

i went on summer trips with the youth club aswell, and came out of my shell a bit more, but it was still a challenge at times, all the other youth workers were much more talkative and confident than me, i feel i can work on these areas, but it seems to come naturally to others, and its more challenging for me

It looks more like you want to pursue something in social care so that you can fix you and turn yourself into the person you wish you could be.

• Advertisement

ursas i have been to a career guidance counsellor and i havent found him very helpful, he seemed to suggest that social care might not be for me, because alot of my intrests are introverted such as art,music, reading etc. ive done some career tests aswell that said im more suited to artistic and realistic jobs, although social jobs got a high enough rating aswell. i wish the career guidance counsellor was more helpful he doesnt seem to know alot, or care about his job too much. we talked about some ideas i suggested plumbing and he said i might be too old for that, i suggested graphic design but realised id have to get an art portfolio and career aspects arent great for that area as far as i know. i considered been a chef but people tell me its very fast paced, minumum wage, and repetetive (cooking same food all the time) i know id like a job with a bit of variety something different everyday, i recently just got a job in a department store which i would like to work in but cant because i need to stay on social welfare in order to get back to education for college. but i was in penneys today and in dunnes stores and i felt that would be a job i like. im a very tactile person, and stocking shelves folding clothes. hanging them up etc would be something id enjoy to be honest.

It looks more like you want to pursue something in social care so that you can fix you and turn yourself into the person you wish you could be.

yeah i think so too, i was thinking about that the other day, i feel that is a part of the reason. your very observant to have spotted that. i remember my social care teacher said that to us that some people get into social care to fix themselves"
    I didnt pay too much attention to it at the time, but now i feel that may be what i am doing.
    Im not sure if this is a bad thing or not, i mean all social care workers have to better themselves (fix themselves) in order to be able to help others.
    so i dont feel like it is such a bad thing but maybe im wrong.

but yeah i completly agree i think thats what i might be doing

sorry i know i probably sound crazy, but im aware of the dangers of working in social care with personal problems, ive heard it said that people shouldnt get into the area until they have overcome all their own demons and issues and are comfortable in themselves. i know its very emotional work aswell, and at times i feel it will be too overwhelming for me, but there something else in my head telling me its what i should be doing...

do you work in social care ursus? if you dont mind me asking

if i dont like it i can defer or just drop out, and then figure where to go from there.

You may loose funding doing this, I have seen it happen to people before. Thats why people choose a subject they have a good interest in. You can change courses, but only if they are in some way related academically. If you complete a semester, you cannot be funded for that semester in another course, e.g. if you drop out in semester 2 in stage 1, if you start another course you will need to pay for semester 1 of stage 1 of that course yourself.
    yeah i think so too, i was thinking about that the other day, i feel that is a part of the reason

Maybe the career guidance counsellor picked up on this. The experiences you have had with the youth club dont strike me as very positive e.g. " i often felt that i was not good enough, not as comftorable in my own skin as the others", so I reckon the counsellor picked up on this and is advising you correctly and maybe you dont like him because he is telling you what you dont want to hear?
    i suggested plumbing, i suggested graphic design , i considered been a chef, i was in penneys today and in dunnes stores and i felt that would be a job i like
    Again you seem very undecided, if you had a real passion for social care, you wouldnt be thinking like this. When I was filling in the CAO form 4 years ago, there was only 2 options in my head and that was it. I didnt think "maybe I want to do this or that". However 1 year before this I was thinking of lots of different areas I could go into and trying to find what would interest me for a long period of time. Maybe you just need more time to make the decision?

I agree with Gline. The fact that you are so undecided between hugely different jobs is concerning. It doesn't seem like the right time for you to choose a degree course. Like Gline, I always had a vague idea what I wanted to do- "help people". Like you, I am creative so I combined certain aspects of my social care role with this skill/ interest. There was no question in my mind that social care was the job for me, I just fit my other skills around it. I have never known anyone in my field who would be happy with plumbing or working in a shop. This is where your confusion speaks volumes.
    Having read your posts, there is a lot of repetition and it really seems like you are driven by your anxiety. First and foremost, this needs to be addressed. You cannot spend 4 years studying for a job in the hopes that it will help you with your own issues. That is what therapy is for. If you go into a social care job seeking your own validation, it can be hugely damaging to the vulnerable service users you are being paid to care for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think you sound ready to work, rather than ready for college. To go to college, particularly as a mature student you have to be very clear about what you want to study, be passionate about it, and have an aptitude for it. You will make big sacrifices for 3/4 years, being broke, meeting deadlines etc.

Why don't you use some of the qualifications you already have, work as a social care worker or in a kitchen, or take the retail job you think you might like. Yes a degree helps if you want to be promoted, but not everyone wants to be promoted, and college will always be there as an option when you figure out what you really want to do.

• Advertisement

do you work in social care ursus? if you don't mind me asking

No I don't, even though I could have moved into that field using my degree as a springboard. The reason why I didn't is because I have a fairly good sense of who I am and what I am. While I think there are certain parts of social care which I would be good at, I know that I am not temperamentally suited to it. It would do nobody any good if I went into social care because I just know it'd start to affect me emotionally over time.

Instead, I work in a technical job in an office and I'm very happy with that. Yeah, sometimes it can be boring as hell but what job isn't? I manage some staff, I'm responsible for a specific area of the organization but thankfully there's quite a lot of solitary working involved. I like that I can close the door in the evening, go home and not think about the job until the next morning.

hey guys thanks for the replys, unfortunetly i typed out a long reply but it didnt send because my internet connection cut off :(

so i will have to keep this one shorter.. the replys gave me alot to think about
    i want to career guidance counsellor feeling depressed/anxious and with low self esteem i couldnt make eye contact with him and felt uncomftorable talking to him, but i went for a job interview and was more confident able to make eye contact and feel comftorable enough to answer questions, the point is i tend to have alot of ups and downs, but i know in social care i cant afford to have these downs as its not fair on the people id have to care for.

and loveinapril i agree, i would like to take a year out but i need to be unemployed for a year in order to get the btea and grant covered and i will go crazy been unemployed for a year with nothing to do. i know i could do voluntary work in this time but im not sure that will keep me busy enough. the college offers or coming out in early july so i hope to make my mind up by then.

i agree that some people are natural social care workers. i was having coffee with a few people in town today, and i guy with schitzopherinia joined us, he was on alot of medication that made him tired. but the lads i was with were comftorable chatting to him and making small talk about movies etc, and these people werent even social care workers but just people with better communication skills than me and that stuff comes naturally to them.

i have seen some job offers for people with a level 5 in brothers of charity, the only thing is having a car is a requirment and i dont have a car at the moment, so one option would be working a non social care related job for a while, buying a car and maybe in the future be able to use my level 5 social care cert to gain employment in social care that is another option.

thanks for the reply mousetail!

• Advertisement

When you're under pressure to make a decision, that can be the time when you make terrible choices. You are coming across here as someone who is panicking and for some reason has social care on the brain. Let's say you'd decided you wanted to be a concert pianist instead. What you're telling us here is the equivalent of "I struggle to play sheet music and I get really nervous in front of crowds. But I play Chopsticks really well in the living room at home". Maybe the career advisor wasn't the best but I don't think you should throw out all the advice he gave you, just because he told you things you don't want to hear. I certainly am uneasy with the thoughts of someone who can't even look another person in the eye being involved in this line of work. How would you cope if an angry relative came up to you and screamed in your face? If you have to make tough decisions which will involve making people cry? If a person in your care assaults you or is really difficult? Going by the suggestions made to you, you seem to be more suited towards work which doesn't involve direct contact with people.

ursus your comments so far have been taken on board, but i feel you are been a bit harsh to presume i shouldnt have direct contact with people, you dont know well enough to presume something like that. i can actually be a sociable person, and enjoy been with people, ive worked in customer service and other jobs dealing with people, i said at the time i saw the guidance counsellor i was overcome with anxiety and depression maybe you have never felt that way but at times when you feel like that its hard to maintain eye contact. but i do not always feel depressed and anxious sometimes things can overwhelm me at times but im well able to communicate with people. now dealing with challenging behaviour can be a difficult situation but these things are discussed in college and there is training to deal with it. as i stated earlier i worked with people with disabilties and people from a psychiatric ward and eldery people in a gym without any problems at all.

and i dont have social care on the brain for "some reason". ive been studying it for the last 2 years and have work experience in the area. also from my own personal life ive been in recovery institutions and support groups, so i can relate to vulnerable people in society and would like to help them reach their full potential. its just a case of asking myself "am i able for it?" or will it be to much for me while i still have my own personal issues, and not perfect social skills, i do appreciate your feedback but i cant agree with it fully

i apoligise for been defensive, i know you mean well, and i agree been around people too much can drain me at times. im starting to take this on board its just difficult to accept because ive done social care for 2 years, but from thinking about it lately im begining to change my mind. the guidance counsellor told me to be honest with myself in relation to social care, i guess he was trying to say i was fooling myself into it been for me. and today when i told someone i wanted to work with homeless he begin to laugh, im not sure why but i asked him and he just said i should go for it. but the way he laughed made me think that he thought i would not be good at it or something. ive been watching videos on youtube of social carers and they seem to be very content with brilliant social care skills and are passionate about their job. i understand its a serious job and not to get into without passion and the capacity to do it, as loveinapril said its not fair on the service users if their carer as anxious or unsure how to communicate with them. when i visit my gran aunt i find it hard to talk to her, when i try talk to her she cant hear me, i guess because i talk too quietly, she has mild dementia and i dont know how to talk to her when she says things that confuse me or i cant understand her, i only visit her with my mum, id find it hard to talk to her on my own, even though i really care about her and she really likes me alot too, it makes me realise what would i do with a complete stranger who didnt like me, i dont know how id act, my mother is a very good carer to my gran aunt she gets her out of bed, brings her to the toilet, and sometimes even washes her, which is suprising because she has paid carers to do that, but when they are not there my mum doesnt mind doing it, i know for a fact i would not be able to do that, while remaining calm and act like its a "normal thing" i know some people dont mind at all, ive never done it before but the thought scares me. i can get annoyed at my gran aunt at times when she asks my mum what i said, she doesnt seem to hear me at times, and i know you need a sense of humour to work in social care, and i cant join in to well with the jokes my gran aunt makes about marrying a rich man, im alot more dry and serious than my mother who can be bubbly, maybe its not for me. i thought id be more suited to homeless sector, but i dont know how id cope with residents who are drunk and who try to bully me and push my buttons, im not very assertive, im an idealist though and i believe this wont happen as they will respect me as a person, but i know i could just be overly optimistic. i guess the only way is to get some experience doing a 3 to 4 year degree could be a bad decision, but ive no back up plan so im afraid of completly disregarding the option, i got offered a job in shaws and im afraid to take it because i will lose my chance of going to college.... aah life decisions are not easy.. i have to go to social welfare tommorow morning to find out can i stay on xs and os and get btea and college fees paid for, and then i have to go my work induction at 10 oclock to let them know if i want the job or not. its crazy pressure, i dont know why i applied for the job in the first place, but my guidance counsellor suggested handing out cvs to get practice with interviews, so i did that, and ended up getting the job. this is another reason im unsure about this guidance counsellor. but now i have the job and need to decide, i will let ye guys know how it goes tommoroq

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Lots of people go to college without btea if you worked in Shaw's full time for a few years you could save up your fees for college and then work part time when you are in college for living money. The couple of years in Shaw's will probably help build your confidence anyway.
    There is also a possibility that youll love it and you can still do voluntary work in social care on the days you are off or evenings. Don't rule out a job for your chance to go to college there is more than one way to skin a cat and besides the reason for college is to get a job, you already have you that might be perfectly suited to you. Sit down and make a list of pros and cons taking the job Vs not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I think you getting the shaws job is the best thing that could have happened to you. Dealing with customers day in day out will teach you a lot about yourself and about what to do when you have to deal with a difficult customer.

I've worked in retail before my current job and it thought me a great deal.

From your posts I think you are in no way ready to work in any social care setting and that it could be very damaging for both you and clients.

Also people will try to push your buttons in all walks of life whether in a homeless shelter or an office job. Thinking that they won't because they should respect you as a person is at best naive and at worst will leave you feeling more anxious when it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I read through this and the one thing that stuck out for me was that, while you might be grand in normal social settings despite anxiety etc, you struggle with some aspects when things aren't going well. Your gran aunt needing care for example. I know a couple of social workers and to say it's a job that stretches their anxiety and mental health would be a complete understatement. One particular individual who would have never experienced anxiety or depression ended up leaving for a different role as she found it just too much after 4 years in it. I would think that maybe the guidance counsellor was on to something with that. To a certain extent you need to be pretty ok with your own mental health to deal with others issues day in, day out.

Ultimately you need to ask yourself what is it you like to do? Exclude what you've spent time studying but if you could pick a job for yourself, what would it be? I always knew I wanted to do accounting and work in that general area so I know I'm lucky that I had that clarity. However friends of mine really had to think and the ones that are doing well are the ones who followed what they enjoy doing as opposed to what they had studied necessarily.

Thanks tigger very good advice, sadly at the moment I'd have to agree working in a social care setting would most likely be harmful to me and others I work with. I just finished my induction today , I felt completely exhausted going through the induction and really had to force myself to think and try and feel positive thoughts, I think the tiredness is from not sleeping well last night but also I think the medication lexapro which I'm taking is causing this , its a horrible feeling, the lexapro seems to numb emotions so at the moment Its like I don't care about anything I'm not happy sad angry nothing just feeling numbed, which Is something i need to discuss and think about whether I should stay on them, because been numbed emotionally while working people is not good, anyway that is another topic so sorry about ranting about it, I think your right the job in shaws could be very good for me, If I go in well rested and do my best talking to other staff and customers, I'll be honest I'm don't think I will love the job, but feel it will help me to grow and I'm lucky to have a job so I'm def won't complain. I'll have to leave social care alone for a while, or maybe forever, and hope I'll find something that I really like doing , thanks for the reply, also from reading previous comments i agree about the social thing, there was other girls doing induction as well who were much more social bubbly and smiley , which made me feel the odd one one out. When I was in college I was around good people and I was actually happy, I know a lot of people would actually consider me sociable , as I was more of a talker in college as I was with real friends , anyway I hope to be able to feel that way again I really do, I'm going to go to social welfare now to tell them about my job and get info about xs and os etc

everything seems okay with the xs and os anyway, can still apply for btea and susi. thanks

T... I'll be honest I'm don't think I will love the job, but feel it will help me to grow and I'm lucky to have a job so I'm def won't complain. I'll have to leave social care alone for a while, or maybe forever, and hope I'll find something that I really like doing

I think this is a good attitude to have. It doesn't really matter if that job in Shaws isn't what you see yourself doing long term. All going well, you'll be happy enough in the job and it'll give you the space to sort your depression/anxiety. I also believe that no matter what job you have, you will learn invaluable skills that will stand to you elsewhere. Be it dealing with difficult customers, making decisions, working as part of a team, dealing with office politics or coping with unexpected things that crop up in most jobs. I can only speak for myself here but the older I got and the more work experience I gained, the more I learned about myself. When I came out of college at 21 I hadn't got a clue what I wanted to do. Even for a few years after I started working I didn't really. But over time, though getting older and by gaining work experience, I got to know a lot more about myself. I stumbled into my current job by accident and I love it. But if I had to change careers again in the morning, I wouldn't feel anywhere nearly as terrorised by it as I would have done at 25.

Trying to pick a career is a hard thing to do at any age. I don't know what the statistics are but there are quite a lot of people out there who've ended up working in jobs that bear little relation to what they studied at college. In that sense, waiting until you're that bit older is no bad thing. It's better to do a degree in something you're genuinely interested in than to go through the motions, get the piece of paper and then realise it has all been a horrible mistake.

Anyway, bet of luck in your new job :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement