Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket 775 cpu cooler recommendation

Options
  • 17-06-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I upgraded my old socket 775 pc with a xeon processor last night. Unfortunately when I was putting the fan back in place one of the push pins snapped, so there's only 3 holding it in place now. Unsurprisingly the temperatures get sky high pretty quick.

As the cooler is very old anyway I figure I'll just replace it. Taking out the motherboard isn't an option, so I'm just going to get another push pin style cooler.

Can anyone recommend something better than this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CXIMK9A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1 or will I just go ahead with that one? It's replacing an old ocz vanquished and I plan on overclocking as far as she'll go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Happened me before.
    You can get replacement push pins
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371939315124
    I have a few extra if you have problems purchasing online, PM your address and I'll send them on if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

SickBoy wrote: »
    Happened me before.
    You can get replacement push pins
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371939315124
    I have a few extra if you have problems purchasing online, PM your address and I'll send them on if you like.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably just replace the whole thing. The current cooler is old & loud, it's about time it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Simi wrote: »
    I upgraded my old socket 775 pc with a xeon processor last night. Unfortunately when I was putting the fan back in place one of the push pins snapped, so there's only 3 holding it in place now. Unsurprisingly the temperatures get sky high pretty quick.

As the cooler is very old anyway I figure I'll just replace it. Taking out the motherboard isn't an option, so I'm just going to get another push pin style cooler.

Can anyone recommend something better than this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CXIMK9A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1 or will I just go ahead with that one? It's replacing an old ocz vanquished and I plan on overclocking as far as she'll go.

That would be fine as it is cheap and would do a far better job of cooling than a stock heatsink and fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes that would be the best of the push pin designs really but you'd be better off getting a decent cooler if you plan heavy overclocking as you say.

Only thing is that in most cases that requires the removal of the motherboard to fix the back plate.

This is also very decent for a tenner, way cooler and quieter than the stock fan and makes better contact than push pin design (doesn't require removal of motherboard).

But heavy overclocking really needs a better fan than either of those. Something like this at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Or there's the TX3. Got one for my family's machine recently, does the job keeping an i7-860 cool pretty nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Serephucus wrote: »
    Or there's the TX3. Got one for my family's machine recently, does the job keeping an i7-860 cool pretty nicely.

That's the one the OP linked to in the first post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's the one the OP linked to in the first post :)

It's ****ing hot alright? I'm doing my best. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Maybe you could fix a TX3 to yourself?

We could try overclocking you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AC freezer 13 does the job.

Advertisement