Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cereals for babies low on sugar

Options
  • 17-06-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering what cereals ye would recommend for a 6 month old? She's been on baby rice to date & bought baby porridge today but it seems loaded with sugar so going to return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Ordinary porridge is way better. The consistency should be fine for a 6 month old but if you are worried give it a whizz in the blender. Weetabix too.

In general avoid all those baby food products as they are mostly muck and processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Thanks a million Anne I'll give porridge a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My lo has porridge and banana most mornings for breakfast and she absolutely loves it!

Wheetabix is great and very handy of you don't have time to cook porridge, but the nappies are awful to clean up. I find bits of wheetabix crumbs(?) get stuck to her skin and it's a pain

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My little guy loved ready brek, but just mind if you're buying the store own brands because I noticed some of them had a higher salt content. It's scary how much sugar is in those baby cereals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

scarepanda wrote: »
    My lo has porridge and banana most mornings for breakfast and she absolutely loves it!

Wheetabix is great and very handy of you don't have time to cook porridge, but the nappies are awful to clean up. I find bits of wheetabix crumbs(?) get stuck to her skin and it's a pain

How do you cook it? I normally just blitz my own porridge in the microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have the organix baby porridge + defintely no sugar in it. Find it really good. You could always try porridge when older. I wouldn't give a baby under 1 weetabix as it has salt added to it.

appledrop wrote: »
    I have the organix baby porridge + defintely no sugar in it. Find it really good. You could always try porridge when older. I wouldn't give a baby under 1 weetabix as it has salt added to it.

The salt levels of weetabix are 0.28g per 100g which is really low. Per two biscuit serving salt is 0.1g and no way would a 6 month old eat 2 biscuits so they amount of salt they would actually consume is tiny - less then 0.05g and the recommendation up to 12mths is less than 1g.
    https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254852996

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

I understand what your saying but personally I still wouldn't give a child under 1 anything with salt added to. Plenty of other alternatives.

appledrop wrote: »
    I understand what your saying but personally I still wouldn't give a child under 1 anything with salt added to. Plenty of other alternatives.

I don't use baby food products at all as they are mostly very processed so there are very few cereals suitable with low sugar and salt levels except normal porridge and weetabix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I wouldn't touch baby cereals with a barge pole either - I just give mine organic porridge made with milk with a mashed up banana for myself and my lo to share - he loves it!!:) Can also add in a bit of live yoghurt when it's cooled down a bit just to help their little gut bugs!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

How do you cook it? I normally just blitz my own porridge in the microwave

I have porridge myself with some honey, so I cook both together. Normal porridge, measured by mug and I add double the quantity of milk (I love milky porridge). Into a pot and cook till it's bubbling, take it off the heat and let it cook further itself then put her share into a bowl and add mashed Banana. You need to stir it constantly though when cooking it on the hob.

Iv never blitzed it, but she never really had much problem with her swallow and gagging etc so I never had the need to put it through the food processor.

My lo absolutely loves Bananas, and sings when she's getting her breakfast, but any fruit is good. Iv added other stuff if I'm out of Banana.

As for wheetabix, it's very rare she gets it, only when I'm stuck for time or when we are away because it's handy to bring around. The resulting nappies are just too much of a pain in the behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My son has been getting Weetabix and warm milk in nursery since he started there, he also loves porridge with a tiny bit of cinnamon. I like to give him a bit of fresh fruit after cereal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you buy normal porridge oats just whizz them in a blender, hey presto Ready Brek! Much cheaper too and you know whats in it.

Advertisement