Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on hybrid bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Apologies, but I guess I've no real advice, only that I think, purchasing a bike is a very personal decision. I'd recommend getting a leg over as many bikes as possible, then decide. I think you 'll know yourself after a while what bike is for you. Make sure you check out your local bike shops to, as some tend to be extremely knowledgeable and very helpful in advising, and if possible, please purchase from them to, as it helps the whole community. I purchased a new bike not too long ago and was extremely impressed by some of the local bike shops, it's a healthy market. Hear some great things about those boardman, best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Of the bikes you link, the Boardman Hybrid Comp seems like the best fit. Hydraulic disc brakes and pannier mounts make a good combination for load carrying, and for a compact double up front (50/34) with (11/34) at the back is a very wide range of gearing without going to a triple. The B'Twin is lighter, but with a lot more gears over a smaller gear range at both ends (50x39x30 chainset with 12/25 cassette) and rim brakes rather than disc. For loaded travelling in a wet country wider gear range and disc brakes would be my preference even at the cost of an extra 1-2kg of weight. The other Boardman is more for light off road, and I'd only consider it if you're planning on hitting a lot of gravel tracks or bohereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 soghluaiste

Thanks for this advice on LBS/brakes/gears... Never really understood gear ratios before!

Advertisement