Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cook & Sleep same room accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Hard to believe someone is paying 10k a year for that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is that intended for two people?

Or is the top bunk your wardrobe :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

James 007 wrote: »
    I always taught properties to rent like these are illegal. I wonder if we can fit some more beds in here! Can anyone elaborate on this.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/drumcondra/192-clonliffe-road-drumcondra-dublin-1736736/

Your teaching was incorrect. So long as it has exclusice use of a toilet and access to a washing machine and somewhere to dry clothes its fine.

I don't know the location - i hope it's worth the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I always taught properties to rent like these are illegal. I wonder if we can fit some more beds in here! Can anyone elaborate on this.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/drumcondra/192-clonliffe-road-drumcondra-dublin-1736736/

Takes "breakfast in bed" to a whole new level.

Wonder what the rest of the property is like and how many other beds are in it.

Just wondering, it's only available for 8 weeks so would it normally be student accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I wouldn't think it's illegal but just shows what the rental market in Dublin must be like. I always wanted to work in Dublin but when I see ads like that it'd turn you off big time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

What is illegal about it? Studio apartments are allowed in Ireland, they are just not common as the Government refuses to acknowledge people want to live in anything other than 60 sq m one bedroom apartment and therefore regulates for them. There are relatively tiny studio apartments over the Irish Life mall with cooking/sleeping in the same room. You will see 1100-1400 sq foot studio apartments in NYC.

This appears to have the minimum standards of a 4 ring hob, fridge/freezer, full oven, microwave, etc. It is not massive, but it seems to follow the minimum standards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't know the location - i hope it's worth the price.

The location is alright, it's right around the corner of Croke park, can be very busy within the season (people after matches pee everywhere). You're really close to town.

But 800 euro a month, that is so sad. It really shows how bad the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/17/made/en/print

Nothing there about separate cooking and sleeping facilities.
    Ridiculously, there can't be an external bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The place must be tiny. I've seen plenty fish eye lenses making places look bigger but I've never seen bent counter tops before.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The 'table' would seem to obstruct the door. The top bunk obstructs what appears to be an under-sized window.

Main room size appears to be approximately 3500 x 2400mm.

This seems to be the address: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3636271,-6.253584,3a,75y,158.34h,82.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1SXY760AAfJEM4cq94fT8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - it looks like one of the rooms either side of the extension part of the main house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fire hazard number one.

Fire hazard number one.

Less of a fire hazard when a person sleeps in a kitchen. They will always get out.

I'm sure many would prefer this to housesharing, it might be small but its your own private space. The price is on the high side alright but that's the market at the moment. Its also a short term let which would always be priced at a higher price point.

Less of a fire hazard when a person sleeps in a kitchen. They will always get out.
    I disagree. If the fire establishes it self quickly, e.g. a fat fire, the person can be overcome. Additionally, if the person is a heavy sleeper or is intoxicated, they can be overcome by the fumes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Yes your right, they will get out alright in a wooden box

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If there was a fire in my flat I very much doubt I would get out especially if it started in my kitchen because I would have to go through it to get out of the bedroom. Would be a goner. Having said that our fire alarm is so sensitive.

Lux23 wrote: »
    If there was a fire in my flat I very much doubt I would get out especially if it started in my kitchen because I would have to go through it to get out of the bedroom. Would be a goner. Having said that our fire alarm is so sensitive.
    This is of dubious legality.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does your bedroom have a window or other means of exit?

Don't start a fire then!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Victor wrote: »
    I disagree. If the fire establishes it self quickly, e.g. a fat fire, the person can be overcome. Additionally, if the person is a heavy sleeper or is intoxicated, they can be overcome by the fumes anyway.

I think Claw Hammer was being funny but maybe I'm wrong. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Advert seems to have been removed from Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭newo

There were loads of these in the 80s and 90s were there not? Bedsits. I lived in a tiny space the size of a kind of big double bedroom in a converted Georgian house. Preferred it to sharing.

Victor wrote: »

If there is only one person living there and that person is asleep, there is no one to start a fire, certainly not a fat fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

newo wrote: »
    There were loads of these in the 80s and 90s were there not? Bedsits. I lived in a tiny space the size of a kind of big double bedroom in a converted Georgian house. Preferred it to sharing.

There was but they were banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

They're just so depressing looking.

Can you imagine being in a place like that on a grey winter's night.
    The size and layout is bad but the decor and general grimness of most of them just adds to the vibe.

If we don't do something about accommodation, Dublin is just going to stagnate. There's a point where bad accommodation starts to become a major issue.

pilly wrote: »
    There was but they were banned.

They weren't banned. Having an external bathroom was banned. This caused a lot of them to be closed down. There are still numerous legal bedsitters around. It is becoming more difficult for them to comply with regulations, get insurance and avoid hassle from the RTB and the local authorities.

Advertisement