Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone cycled Lake Konstanz (Bodensee)?

Options
  • 18-06-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking at doing this myself and hoping anyone who had done it could share their experiences as it would help me out planning my trip..
    Any info at all appreciated... bike rental/accomodation/ etc
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Might be better off posting in the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

utter sh1te - lots of the tracks are nowhere near the lake thanks to private property ownership along the lake shore so a cycle holiday there is just pottering about fields, which is not the most thrilling or scenic experience .

why do you want to do it ?
    Better to cycle along the Rhine, Main or Danube or something like that if you ask me where youre by the water the whole time. On the Austrian section it goes past a whole region with historic castles and vineyards.
    Or look up the options in the alps along river valleys there like the Vinchgau (north italy) or maybe along the river Inn in Austria
    Or, one completely off the radar, Mecklenburg Vorpommern lakes district which is to the north of Berlin and has has heaps invested in tourist infrastructure but nobody visits from abroad at all, so few that even english language promo material is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

utter sh1te - lots of the tracks are nowhere near the lake thanks to private property ownership along the lake shore so a cycle holiday there is just pottering about fields, which is not the most thrilling or scenic experience .

why do you want to do it ?
    Better to cycle along the Rhine, Main or Danube or something like that if you ask me where youre by the water the whole time. On the Austrian section it goes past a whole region with historic castles and vineyards.
    Or look up the options in the alps along river valleys there like the Vinchgau (north italy) or maybe along the river Inn in Austria
    Or, one completely off the radar, Mecklenburg Vorpommern lakes district which is to the north of Berlin and has has heaps invested in tourist infrastructure but nobody visits from abroad at all, so few that even english language promo material is rare.

Your post convinced me:) I read on a couple of sites about the trails veering away from the lake.. im going to do the pannau - Vienna Danube trail instead. Seems to offer much more. Thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I did it years ago. Got a train from Karlsruhe to radolfzell. Hired a bike there then headed along the south of the lake - don't remember the cycle track being that far from the lake. Konstanz is a lovely medium sized city and worth a visit. We also stopped in romanshorn and arbon and cycled up to beyond bregenz, finishing in frederichshafen before gerring a ferry across, The island of mainau is worth a visit. The ferries that cross over and back are bike friendly and they used to have some paddle steamers. To be honest I'd love to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Your post convinced me:) I read on a couple of sites about the trails veering away from the lake.. im going to do the pannau - Vienna Danube trail instead. Seems to offer much more. Thanks for your input

Did that route myself with the wife a few years ago, it was glorious

Did that route myself with the wife a few years ago, it was glorious

How did you manage for accomodation?
    Did you book in advance or just stop in a town when you felt like it and organised then?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Dealhunter, I booked with this crowd http://www.eurobike.at/en/tour/cycletour-danube-cyle-path_t_2281

So i did not have my own bike, which was grand as we were in no rush to get anywhere.

Accommodation was taken care of and our bags were forwarded on to the next hotel every morning. So we had a very leisurely cycle everyday. Many wines and beers were tasted along the way :)

Dealhunter, I booked with this crowd http://www.eurobike.at/en/tour/cycletour-danube-cyle-path_t_2281

So i did not have my own bike, which was grand as we were in no rush to get anywhere.

Accommodation was taken care of and our bags were forwarded on to the next hotel every morning. So we had a very leisurely cycle everyday. Many wines and beers were tasted along the way :)

Thanks for that. i'll take a look. Will probably just go at it alone and at my own pace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I can't add any cycling information but Konstanz is a great place. We used to drive there for shopping and eating when we lived in Zurich, especially in the summer. Really friendly place with lots of good bars and restaurants

• Advertisement
Advertisement