Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Mini

• 18-06-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

Am looking a a new desktop, I recently purchased a monitor to connect my laptop to when working from home

Could buy an iMac but was thinking about the mac mini.

I am only doing some reviewing, printing,signing, scanning and emailing stuff.

We do connect a couple of other laptops to the monitor via HDMI, so with the iMac we cant do this

I know it's due a refresh, but was wondering if the mini is still worth it now.

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't mind a Mini myself, but it's just not a good buy. Apple will presumedly have to decide soon whether to kill it or refresh it, so you could wait, though I wouldn't recommend it.

If you do get it you'd probably be better of getting a second hand 2012 model. It's generally superior to the 2014 model that Apple currently sells. Faster, more upgradable, etc. All you'd really be missing out on is better graphics and faster wifi, which depending on your usage you may or may not care about. Even when it was new, 3 years ago!, the current Mini was a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I wouldn't mind a Mini myself, but it's just not a good buy. Apple will presumedly have to decide soon whether to kill it or refresh it, so you could wait, though I wouldn't recommend it.

If you do get it you'd probably be better of getting a second hand 2012 model. It's generally superior to the 2014 model that Apple currently sells. Faster, more upgradable, etc. All you'd really be missing out on is better graphics and faster wifi, which depending on your usage you may or may not care about. Even when it was new, 3 years ago!, the current Mini was a bit of a joke.

Thanks for the feedback SP

I can get a 2012 model online..may go down that path

DT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I'd recommend getting as much RAM as your budget allows. I have a 2011 model that I found sluggish after a few months but I maxed out the RAM and it's still going strong now. You can upgrade to a SSD drive later as it's easy enough to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

wow..

a 2012 model is not cheap...seems the world knows that the 2014 is crap

arghhhh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Even for a Mac, the Mini has always held its value well. Despite Apple's neglect, its design fills a niche that people are prepared to pay for.

I have a 24-inch ACD that I'd love to hook up to a Mini, but I'd feel like a sucker buying one of the current models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Have a 2012 model and its perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

got a 2011 mini for 340 on adverts. granted, the lad selling it usually used windows machines so i dont think he realised

Advertisement