Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Careers-Not sure what to do

• 18-06-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I have recently finished a degree in microbiology. I'm not quite sure what I want to do next, tbh I don't think I want follow up my degree, I was never particulary enthusiastic about my subject and only picked it because I was good a it up until this year when alot of things backfired.

I have considered sitting the GAMSAT and switching into medicine or dentistry-I was involved in first aid when I was a teen and I loved it to pieces but medicine is an extremely competitive career and I hate competition, I cant abide it and cumble and give up as sonn as I know someone is trying to outdo me-IDK why this happens bu its just something that happens, I prefer laidback environments which is something I now medicine doesnot offer. Thats why I considered dentistry but I'm not too sure, it appears less competitve to my outsider experience.

I looked at other allied health careers such as speech and language therapy but it sounds like such an emotionally demanding job, I dont think I would be happy in it. I have also considered becoming a teacher but I do not have the neccessary credits in certain subjects to enroll in a programme that would allow me to become a secondary school teacher (not even biology) and tbh I would hate to be a primary school teacher; kids are fine but I think spending my day with 30+ 8 year olds every day would drive me a little demented.

So here I am, at a crossroad. I've taken a year out from education to help decide what I want to do. I don't really have any interests-I like hanging out with my friends, some tv occassionally, nothing that realky sticks out as "I can make a career out of this"-so thoughts? Thank you for reading till the end :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Not to put too fine a point on it, but all you have done above is list off the things you don't want to do, for various different reasons. it doesn't provide a very good jumping off point, either for you, or for people who might want to give you advice.

Ignore 'qualifications' or 'career' for a second. What comes to mind as something you do enjoy doing?

So I have recently finished a degree in microbiology. I'm not quite sure what I want to do next, tbh I don't think I want follow up my degree, I was never particulary enthusiastic about my subject and only picked it because I was good a it up until this year when alot of things backfired.

I have considered sitting the GAMSAT and switching into medicine or dentistry-I was involved in first aid when I was a teen and I loved it to pieces but medicine is an extremely competitive career and I hate competition, I cant abide it and cumble and give up as sonn as I know someone is trying to outdo me-IDK why this happens bu its just something that happens, I prefer laidback environments which is something I now medicine doesnot offer. Thats why I considered dentistry but I'm not too sure, it appears less competitve to my outsider experience.

I looked at other allied health careers such as speech and language therapy but it sounds like such an emotionally demanding job, I dont think I would be happy in it. I have also considered becoming a teacher but I do not have the neccessary credits in certain subjects to enroll in a programme that would allow me to become a secondary school teacher (not even biology) and tbh I would hate to be a primary school teacher; kids are fine but I think spending my day with 30+ 8 year olds every day would drive me a little demented.

So here I am, at a crossroad. I've taken a year out from education to help decide what I want to do. I don't really have any interests-I like hanging out with my friends, some tv occassionally, nothing that realky sticks out as "I can make a career out of this"-so thoughts? Thank you for reading till the end :)

Similar to the other poster what do you like doing for example helping others, making a difference, etc. What conditions of work do you want (e.g. 9-5 or willing to work long hours). Give us some more info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dentistry is quite emotionally demanding. It's a factor in why it has one of the highest suicide rates amongst different professions.
    Anyone studying it will have achieved 560+ points, so you're going to be faced with a competitive environment.
    The only advantage over medicine is that it's generally a 9am-6pm job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Similar to the other poster what do you like doing for example helping others, making a difference, etc. What conditions of work do you want (e.g. 9-5 or willing to work long hours). Give us some more info!
    Hi guys. OP here. Well tbh I dont think there is much I enjoy doing. As I said I dont really have any career driven interests-travelling, watching tv, hanging with friends etc. I mean helping people and making some sort of difference is definitely appealing but I guess I have no jard set rules tho concerning a future job. When it comes to hours I guess Id prefer shorter hours but it doesn't really make too much of a difference.

Advertisement